PDA

View Full Version : Kivi's Underworld announced

Shadow
09-03-2008, 04:32 PM
We have finally announced our 2nd game, Kivi's Underworld. Head over to our Kivi's Underworld page (http://www.soldak.com/Kivis-Underworld/Overview.html) for a description and some of the features. Screenshots and other things will be released soon.

Gragt
09-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Looks cool, I'll try to do some advertisement on the Codex, I know a few liked DoP over there.

Did you drop the idea of DoP expansion(s) or is it still planned for sometime in the future?

GaiaThanatos
09-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Looks Awesome!

Was wondering what you guys where working on :p

Good luck with it, may the demo be up soon ^^

Delve
09-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Woo! Funny, I found the overview page before I saw the announcement. Any ETA on the demo?

ShaggyMoose
09-03-2008, 08:56 PM
From the description it sounds pretty much like DoP, with a more straight dungeon-hacking focus. Shadow, can you do up short list of contrasts?

DetlevH
09-04-2008, 03:00 AM
Cool game!

Is it possible to translate this also?

Shadow
09-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Did you drop the idea of DoP expansion(s) or is it still planned for sometime in the future?

I would still like to work on an expansion and it's making a lot more sense now than it was when we started Kivi's Underworld. Nothing is "planned" after Kivi though, so even I don't know what is next.

Any ETA on the demo?

I would really like to have a demo in a month or so, but we'll see.

From the description it sounds pretty much like DoP, with a more straight dungeon-hacking focus. Shadow, can you do up short list of contrasts?

Well they both have hack & slash stuff so that stuff is similar. Some of the differences are that Kivi is a bit quicker, has more story that you play through, has designer laid out levels, has powerups, has way more classes (although much simplier), has secrets that you need to actually look for, has many more traps that you need timing to get past, and no factions. This is just a few of the differences of course.

Is it possible to translate this also?

Oh yeah. It's the same engine, except I have fixed a bunch of things. Like everything that needs to be translated is under Loc/English now, which means we should be able to dynamically switch between languages.

Delve
09-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Oh yeah. It's the same engine, except I have fixed a bunch of things. Like everything that needs to be translated is under Loc/English now, which means we should be able to dynamically switch between languages.

Will DoP benefit from any engine improvements that you implement for Kivi?

Shadow
09-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Actually it already has. There have been at least a few changes that I made for Kivi that I merged back into DoP.

Other than that I'm not sure. I can merge individual things if they are relatively localized changes (as in not spread out all over the code) and important. If I do an expansion for DoP though, it would probably be based on the newer stuff, so in that case it would get most of the changes.

LordLabyrinth
09-04-2008, 02:07 PM
If it's as good as DoP, then I'm really looking forward to it.

(name here)
09-04-2008, 08:29 PM
hm, sounds interesting. i don't really like the idea of no other covenents, though. i hope there are at least town attack analogs.

DetlevH
09-05-2008, 03:00 AM
Is the environment destructable? I like to kill monsters with falling walls, avalanches and to destroy anything i don't like and the monsters could use.:cool:

Shadow
09-05-2008, 11:32 AM
hm, sounds interesting. i don't really like the idea of no other covenents, though. i hope there are at least town attack analogs.

Just remember Kivi's Underworld isn't a Depths of Peril game. It's quite a bit different. As an aside any future Depths of Peril games/expansions we make will always have the covenant and dynamic world stuff since they are two of the key things for Depths of Peril.

Is the environment destructable? I like to kill monsters with falling walls, avalanches and to destroy anything i don't like and the monsters could use.:cool:

There are a lot of things that are destructible in Kivi. Currently none of them will hurt the monsters. It would be interesting though. Purposely setting off traps and killing the monsters is quite fun at times though. :)

DetlevH
09-05-2008, 11:51 AM
That's true, i want to set off my own traps and not only disarm the traps set off by others.

Delve
09-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Purposely setting off traps and killing the monsters is quite fun at times though. :)

There's a thought. Instead of (or in addition to) a disarm skill create a 'trigger' skill. Deliberately set off traps at a (hopefully) safe distance. Another skill to flesh out one of what appears to be many skill sets in Kivi, and possibly something for a future DoP expansion.

You'd have to make traps targetable of course. And you'd need some way to spot trapped chests in advance unless it's limited to ground traps, which is reasonable.

GeorgiaBoy
09-07-2008, 01:45 AM
A Diablo II-like game that is FAR more moddable like DoP? Sign me up!

GB

Kruztee
09-08-2008, 04:43 AM
Hmm... I'm not sold. :p

I guess it sounds OK though, and I'll definately give the demo a go.

The dynamic nature of the game world, quests and covenants along with the random level layouts are what really drew me (and still draw me back regularly) to DoP. It will be a hard game to top.

DaveyJJ
09-16-2008, 11:49 AM
A Diablo II-like game that is FAR more moddable like DoP? Sign me up!

GB

That's what got me excited too, GeorgiaBoy. The way Steve's describing how we will be able to create new modules etc seems to this old gamer like a dream come true. In an email conversation I had with him a while back compared DoP to Kivi's, and my expectations of editors from the past almost 30 years of gaming, he said ...

"In Kivi's Underworld .... you build full levels so it is a bit more like what people are used to. The editor is pretty easy to use. You mostly just lay down tiles and objects. The interesting part is how you layout all of the objects. There are a ton of different type of objects to lay down like monsters, traps, keys, doors, secrets, items, chests, triggers, walls, other environmental objects, and probably more things that I have forgotten about. I think with Kivi, we will get a lot of gamers making some cool levels/adventures."

I hope he doesn't mind me re-posting this here (it's over on insidemacgames.com forums) but I'm very excited about the title and can't wait to start creating.

killerbeans
10-13-2008, 12:17 AM
Not that I don't want to purchase this game from you, but is this going to be offered through reflexive? I ask because I still have a game credit that I can get one more game on. I guess I have just been waiting patiently for another decent game to come out, and this one seems like it may be the one that I have been waiting for! Please tell me that it's coming out! Thanks!:D

Celes
10-13-2008, 04:17 PM
All I can say is I'm was hoping for a new game created by Soldak. I like Depths of Peril alot. The only thing I hope for, is a retail version. I ended up with some trouble with the copy I saved when I bought the download of DoP, but it ended up okay, I just went to the store and got a retail version. I don't mind buying the game twice, there's few companies I would consider doing that for, but I really like the game and the work put into it by Soldak. :)

Shadow
10-14-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm hoping that we will eventually get Kivi's Underworld on Reflexive and get on retail shelves again. Neither one is up to me of course. Both of them will be farther down the road than our release though.