PDA

View Full Version : Spore Game

shinon
09-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Hello to all again :)
I know that this is a forum for other talk than Soldak Games.
Not that i am trying to promote any other game, which DOP still and will always rock :)

I just been waiting for ages of the Spore Game and since now its out in retail and this is a pretty much active Forum society, i would really like to ask if anyone has tried it out and if it worth its money :)

Thanks for your time,
Shinon :)

Jedi_Learner
09-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Don't buy the game. Electronic Arts will only allow you to install Spore three times, and after that you must contact their company, and on a "case-by-case basis", they will decide whether or not to renew your installation limit. Absolutely fucking disgusting.

LordLabyrinth
09-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Are you serious? Is it on CD or is it downloaded through internet? I guess they are trying to limit pirating, but doing so, they end up upsetting people who buy the game legit.

Jedi_Learner
09-11-2008, 03:52 PM
I am deadly serious, just read some of the reviews at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Spore-Mac/dp/B000FKBCX4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1221158918&sr=8-1). Electronic Arts did the same with Mass Effect, and they plan to do the same for Red Alert III.

Delilah Rehm
09-11-2008, 03:56 PM
So when you buy Spore, you're really not buying it. It's more like renting. Hmmm...

Jedi_Learner
09-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Yes. And imagine what happens if Electronic Arts goes out of business, what will happen then? They are under no legal obligation to remove this moronic protection if the servers and the company went down. You'd be fucked.

scragar
09-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Can we cut out the swearing?

I do agree that this case of DRM is appaling, esspecialy since the only people it is hurting are real consumers, the people pirating the game have no such limit impossed because the game would have been cracked to remain constantly convinced that it's still on install numer 1, or something similar.
There's a reason the game has got an almost unaminous 1 star opinion on amazon, from what I have read of it outside of the (Oh, look at the pretty graphics and how much they are paying for adverts, this game needs to score 10/10 --- I mean 'Professional') reviews it's not that good a game beyond the DRM anyway.

Jedi_Learner
09-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Can we cut out the swearing?
No. And don't worry, your mother isn't going to read it. :)

Delve
09-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Here's Shamus on Bioshock DRM. Which is pretty much what went into Spore.
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1645

There's swearing, and Shamus is rather... rabid, at times. But he's mostly fair, and it's a good read. He gets rabid because it's warranted.

GeorgiaBoy
09-11-2008, 11:14 PM
I know of two people who have purchased the game. Oddly enough, they both called it "Bore". Aside from the DRM issues, I have heard only negative comments. Another example of EA not caring. Don't get me started about the Madden or the Tiger Woods series...

GB

LordLabyrinth
09-12-2008, 02:32 PM
So the installation dvd actually remembers how many times you installed and won't let you install again if you did it three times already. Wow, they must have spent a lot of time working on that stupidity instead of actually improving their game. No wonder people are pissed off. I didn't plan on getting spore but I'm even more determined not to get it.

I remember a while back, some games had starforce hidden in their games where it could potentially ruin your computer hardwares. Those games really pissed me off then. Now a new way to anger even more consumers. These developers sure are creative when it comes to NOT sell their products. :)

Delve
09-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Technically, there's an online registry that the game checks. You can't get the DVD to remember your installs. ;)

The upshot (haha) of that system is that you can't install (you may not even be able to play, I haven't bothered memorizing the full details) without a stable internet connection. Or when their servers are down. Or when a natural disaster brings the power down at their data center. Or... etc. Completely aside from the 'only X installs' hogwash. And don't mistake, X is configurable on their end, and on a per-user basis. If they don't like you you might only get one.

Also technically, it wasn't EA that spent the research resources on this, they just licensed it (for mega-bucks you can bet your battered old veteran's joystick) from Securom. Securom, sadly, is in a large number of software offerings in various forms. It has evolved since it's genesis a number of years ago. It used to not be horribly bad, but it's gotten consistently more asinine as time goes on. It's like they're trying to build a Berlin Wall between you and your software so they can rent you the occasional balloon ride to see what's on the other side.

Aggh, I'll stop now before I get my blood pressure up any higher.

LordLabyrinth
09-12-2008, 05:26 PM
haha, delve, yeah if we think about all the outrageous crap going around this world, we will just end up dying from high blood pressure. Still, somewhere along the line, that company lost to greed. When consumers fork over $50+, they want to feel satisfied and fulfilled. Their products just doesn't give that satisfaction... since consumers are too worried about things like whether they should install the game on their current system or upgrade it first and then install it.

(name here)
09-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Spore, in addition to the install limit, must check in with EA core servers once every ten days or it shuts down until it can. oh, and on day one there were problems with the server and install limit, and some people overran them without actually getting the game to install properly.

LordLabyrinth
09-13-2008, 04:24 PM
I know it's probably wrong to say this, but I hope spore flopped big time and they lost money. Yeah I'm evil.

Sardokaur
09-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Spore, in addition to the install limit, must check in with EA core servers once every ten days or it shuts down until it can. oh, and on day one there were problems with the server and install limit, and some people overran them without actually getting the game to install properly.

Actually the 10-day thing was removed. Thats what i read from PC Gamer.

(name here)
09-14-2008, 04:36 PM
oh. still doesn't change my opinion on buying it, games i like i can easily install more times than three.

Sardokaur
09-15-2008, 12:16 PM
oh. still doesn't change my opinion on buying it, games i like i can easily install more times than three.

Don't worry, they promised that Red Alert 3 will have 5 installations.

LordLabyrinth
09-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Don't worry, they promised that Red Alert 3 will have 5 installations.

LOL :D Yes, I would much rather rent Red Alert 3 than buy kivi from here. Hopefully Shadow doesn't let us down with kivi's underworld. I'm so looking forward to that.

moonlightangel89
10-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Heard it wasn't very good!!