PDA

View Full Version : Demo vs open beta

Shadow
09-25-2008, 12:05 PM
With Depths of Peril we released our first demo about 3 1/2 weeks before the game released. I think this worked really well in most ways. The demo was pretty solid, but we found out about a lot of issues and we fixed a bunch of things for the final release. Overall we shipped a better game because of the demo.

However, this isn't the point of a demo. :) The point of a demo is to let gamers try out the game, get excited about the full game, and ultimately buy the full game.

So I think I'm going to change things slightly for Kivi's Underworld. What I'm thinking of doing now is the first build that is public is going to be an open beta, not a demo. This is mostly just a semantic change because the build is still only going to be the first small portion of the game, but there is a big perception difference between an open beta and a demo.

An open beta means there are still changes that are going to be made, that the company is actively looking for feedback, and the testers have more involvement in the direction of the final game. A demo, on the other hand, implies that it is very representative of the full game and not much is going change.

Basically Depths of Peril's first demo acted like an open beta, but was called a demo. With Kivi I'm planning on having an open beta and then a demo near when the game is released.

Delve
09-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Sounds like a plan to me.

DaveyJJ
09-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Steven, that sounds like a solid idea to me. Now stop posting, and get this thing to beta stage, OK? :D I can not wait to play (and perhaps more, get fooling around creating new things with the editor).