PDA

View Full Version : I can't Mod

uyghur
09-25-2008, 07:55 PM
i am using mac system, i found asset folder, when i unzip the file it appears asset folder can't be modified, you have no permission to over write or something like that, what must i do?

Shadow
09-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Um, nothing in the game should be preventing you from changing the files. It could just be a file permissions thing. Right click on the directory or file in question, choose Get Info, and change the permission stuff.

uyghur
09-26-2008, 12:21 PM
thanks for your answer shadow, but i can not find what you said in my mac, so i posted 2 pictures of error, please have a look and give me a best way to solve the problem, thanks

rjk2008
09-26-2008, 12:32 PM
You don't have write access to the folder. You need to right click on the Depth of Peril folder and click the properties (or something similar) and change your default access rights to the folder.

You will see something like this:

Read access - Yes
Write access - No

This needs to be:

Read access - Yes
Write access - Yes

The specific naming and format will be different, however the basic concept remains the same. If you still can't find it, google "changing user folder permissions in OS X" where OS X is whatever operating system version you are using.

If you can't find the right buttons, post higher resolution screens shots of the list of options you get when you right click on the folder and I can try to guide you through the steps.

-rj

uyghur
09-26-2008, 12:47 PM
because, OSX system is diffirent, my imac mouse doesn't have right click, i dont know how to call it, white mouse there is no seperate left or right click,

rjk2008
09-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Try this:

How to View and Change Permissions in the Finder's Info Window

The Mac OS X Finder can be used to inspect and modify permissions settings
for some files and folders. You can only change permissions for files and
folders of which you are the owner. This can aid in troubleshooting
permissions-related issues. To view and change permissions in the Info
window, follow these steps:

1. Select a file or folder in the Finder.
2. From the File menu, choose Show.
3. Choose Privileges from the pop-up menu in the Info window.
4. Using the pop-up menus, change permissions settings as necessary (Figure 1).
5. Optional: If you are changing permissions for a folder and you want the
changes to apply to enclosed folders as well, click Apply. Apply only appears
when you show info for folders.

Pictures demonstrating it are near the bottom, about 4/5ths down the page:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2963

uyghur
09-26-2008, 02:07 PM
my friend, i have find the folder and unlocked the permission but still cannot unzip the file in the asset folder, i dont know why, maybe i didn't do it right, here is the picture

my mac is OSX 10,4,11

I Dont know mac very well, can you help me

rjk2008
09-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Need to make the pictures bigger. Don't post in jpeg format. If you can't upload them here, upload them to imageshack.com and post a link. I can't read anything on them when they are that small. :P

My most immediate guess is that you didn't turn on the "Make this setting effect all subfolders and files" option, if there is one.

So, need bigger pictures that I can read.

-RJ

uyghur
09-26-2008, 02:59 PM
http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture3so4.png

http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture4df1.png

rjk2008
09-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Looks like you need to hit the "Apply to enclosed items" button. If you did that, check the permissions for the folders within assets, also see if you can manually create new folders and files yourself within the Assets folder.

uyghur
09-26-2008, 03:08 PM
no i cant, that is exact what happening, i cannot creat or paste anything in asset folder, or i have say in depth of peril , and apply enclosed is not working, it appear black and white , you can't push it

rjk2008
09-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Are you the owner of the folder?

It says apple is the owner, is that the account you are logged into?

uyghur
09-26-2008, 03:57 PM
that is the account i log in

rjk2008
09-26-2008, 04:24 PM
Not really sure, try to google the issue and see if someone has a tutorial on it.

You should have permission. If you can't read and write to the folder when it says you have permission to read and write then either something is broken or the user accounts are getting mixed up.

Maybe try the apple forums.

uyghur
09-26-2008, 04:58 PM
do you have any edited chars file to share with me, if i have that i can just copy and paste it , it works, because of those problem i have lost 66 lvl priest you know, i spend 2 months on it, and now are gone,,, very said

EnderJ.Cullen
10-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Hey, I'm new to the Forums. I also have a Mac and am having trouble modding. I'm new at this so I'm probably just making really stupid mistakes, but I'm able to open the Asset folder and see the text files for things like the systems.gdb files and stuff by opening them with TextEdit. I can even go in and change the values of certain things and save them, but the changes don't show up in the game. How can I edit the values in the Asset files and have the changes be reflected in the game?

Shadow
10-28-2008, 09:08 AM
You really don't want to edit the files inside the zip files directly. You can, but if you break anything it is harder to recover.

I would guess that your problem is that you are probably changing things in assets001.zip when they are also in assets003.zip. If a file is in more than 1 zip file it will use the one in the highest number zip file (actually reverse alphabetical order).

EnderJ.Cullen
10-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Yeah, I figured there was a risk there, but I'll tell you exactly what I'm doing. I unzipped all of the asset zips and then I have folders called assets001, sounds, and assets003. I then go into the database folder, items folder, then open the the swords2handed.gdb file with TextEdit and change some of the magic modifiers on Bevan's Sword. Even if I do this on both of the assets001 and assets003 folders, the changes don't show up in the game. Is there anything else I need to do in order for the changes to apply to the actual game? Thanks for the help.

EnderJ.Cullen
10-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Sorry for the double-post, but maybe a more important question is how can I safely and more effectively modify the game? The game is great by the way, I just think it would be fun to experiment with modding it.

scragar
10-28-2008, 09:11 PM
To do safe modding use the overrides method, so you create a new zip file inside you have a file path like:
Database/textFile.gdb
Inside that text file(which you can call anything you like) you add in something like this, using the big backpack mod as an example:
AnythingYouWantToCallTheMod overrides Backpack
{
Size 16
}I know it sounds confusing at first, but that's because I'm bad at explaining things. The first bold bit can be anything you want to call it, for the sake of keeping things simple I tend to prefix the mod name on the thing it overrides(dropping that part if there is only one thing changed in the mod), so the big backpack mod's override would normaly be called modBigBackpack

EnderJ.Cullen
10-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Okay, so could I just add overrides into an existing mod file like the Max Party Mod? I am primarily interested in beefing up weapons, armor, and having full and increased set bonuses apply when only one item from the set is equipped. I found out where all of the values are, I'm just not sure how to get all of the mods to apply to the game. So if I add the overrides to an existing mod, in the fashion you provided, they should work?

EnderJ.Cullen
10-29-2008, 01:25 PM
So I think my problem is that I'm just not sure what to change within the override so that the magic modifiers on a weapon or armor item can be changed. The changes showed up for the backpack mod, and I was even able to change the drop rate so that only set, unique, and artifact items dropped, using the methods described in another post, but I still can't quite figure out how to boost weapon and armor stats. How would I go about doing that, i.e. what is it that I actually need to put within the override parameters? Thank you for the continued help.

scragar
10-29-2008, 05:01 PM
I think if you wanted to do this you would start with something like:
modSuperWeaponsAxe1 overrides BaseOneHandedAxe

{
MinDamageBase 09

MaxDamageBase 36

MinDamagePerLevel 36

MaxDamagePerLevel 72

}I havn't tried that though.

EnderJ.Cullen
10-29-2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks, I'll keep experimenting with it. I think I'm getting a pretty good handle on things now. Thanks for all the help:)

Shadow
11-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Sorry for being slow.

The problem you might be having is you don't want to have an assets003 folder. For example, there will be a Database folder inside of the assets003 folder. That folder should be directly in your Assets folder.