PDA

View Full Version : Few comments after my first hour

scragar
10-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Well, I played through the first area twice, searching for all the secrets, only found 3 yet, but I will find all 6 sooner or later :p

I love the game so far, so good work on that, and I couldn't find any bugs.

Few little things I want to point out while it's a beta(most of them I couldn't consider wrong, I just want to bring them up):
in the game options there's one called "Show XP numbers", is that score?
You've got 2 empty boxes on the advanced options and only 2 options(resolution and full screen are 2 parts of the same option) on the normal graphics options, am I missing something(oh, and could you move zoom to normal options, I missed it first time and wound up playing around with the mouse wheel to try and get it as I wanted it - unless, you intend to keep the space for something else?)
The order full game doesn't work for me, it worked fine on the DoP demo(except it opened firefox instead of opera, but meh) - did you do something different?
The secrets are a bit too hard to find, unless I should try zooming in.
space and arrows = bad choice for a game played using the keyboard AND mouse, if I can reach space I can't reach the arrows :p
The scoring at the end, unless I find all the secrets why don't I get anything? I mean 6 secrets, I find 3 and get nothing more than the small boost for what I pick up

I won't list everything I loved, since that might take a while, but there are a couple of thing I loved more than others, so top 5?
secrets - added reply value, like you need it already with such a fair number of maps and character combo's
LoS - big improvement since DoP, which is strange, since DoP didn't need improving at all :p
temp bonuses - a point or 2 to spend during a level till you reach the end, love it
traps - visible traps are cool, although I would rather they be a little harder to spot, a big green thing on the floor isn't exactly hard to notice
the [special attack/treasures/whatever you want to call them] things are great, common enough to make you want to use them a lot, rare enough to make you want to save 1 or 2 for harder situations.

Shadow
10-14-2008, 12:13 PM
in the game options there's one called "Show XP numbers", is that score?

That is probably score, I'll need to fix that.

You've got 2 empty boxes on the advanced options and only 2 options(resolution and full screen are 2 parts of the same option) on the normal graphics options, am I missing something(oh, and could you move zoom to normal options, I missed it first time and wound up playing around with the mouse wheel to try and get it as I wanted it - unless, you intend to keep the space for something else?)

They used to all be on the same screen. I just wanted to make it a bit easier for people to do the common thing of changing the resolution without being scared off by a full screen of options.

The order full game doesn't work for me, it worked fine on the DoP demo(except it opened firefox instead of opera, but meh) - did you do something different?

Which one doesn't work, there are like 4 of them. :)

The secrets are a bit too hard to find, unless I should try zooming in.

Some of them are hard to find and some are pretty easy. This is on purpose. Some adventures once you find one, the others are easy because of the style. Some are just plan easy to spot. Some are hard to see, but are in fairly logic places. Some adventures are just really hard.

The scoring at the end, unless I find all the secrets why don't I get anything? I mean 6 secrets, I find 3 and get nothing more than the small boost for what I pick up

You do get a score bonus per secret you find. I think it's 250 points.

traps - visible traps are cool, although I would rather they be a little harder to spot, a big green thing on the floor isn't exactly hard to notice

If you are like me, you will eventually be surprised at how many of these you trigger even when they are easily visible especially doing fights. This is also one of the many things that I think someone is likely to create a mod for.

scragar
10-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Actualy ignore the whole browser doesn't open thing, found the problem, my fault(my last play about with the wine settings must have unset my default browser, I changed it back and everything works as I expect), sorry for wasting your time on that.

Congrats again on making a really good game.

Shadow
10-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Oh, good. I was hoping I didn't break anything. Also good to hear that we are still working under Wine.