PDA

View Full Version : To save or not to save?

Delilah Rehm
10-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Hey guys! I wanted to get a broader view of what people think about adding a save option to Kivi. Thanks for participating!

DISCLAIMER: Shadow will NOT be basing his decision on this poll. It's just for my curiosity. That being said, he will at least see this poll.

Delilah Rehm
10-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Is it just me, or does the question mark icon look like a thumbs down?

scragar
10-19-2008, 11:56 AM
That is a thumbs down :p

As for the poll, I wouldn't want a save feature that could be abused, although having said that I wouldn't have to use the feature, even if you added it then I wouldn't care so much about the decision.

Delilah Rehm
10-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Oh crap! I think it is a thumbs down!!! All this time I thought it was a question mark! :eek:

krozman
10-19-2008, 03:02 PM
You know, for a writer you have a surprising lack of knowledge of the looks of basic punctuation! :eek:

torikamal
10-19-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm still in favor of saves. I don't think you have to do anything in the UI for it.

I think that there are just people out there who get interrupted a lot for whatever reason (like my wife does me), or you need to get back to work or something.

To help avoid abusing saving, maybe make it so that you can't save if you've been damaged in the last fifteen seconds or so?

Kruztee
10-20-2008, 12:04 PM
To help avoid abusing saving, maybe make it so that you can't save if you've been damaged in the last fifteen seconds or so?

Although I did cast a vote against a mid-mission savegame feature, I think that torikamal's idea has lots of merit! http://www.soldak.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

txa1265
10-20-2008, 01:01 PM
After several times having to start and abandon the first full adventure ... I vote saves.

Mike

DaveyJJ
10-20-2008, 05:38 PM
On normal difficulty my 7 year old has managed the first five (?) adventures without dying once. I'm still for not saving but if people are going to create larger adventures/scenarios where starting over would be a royal pain, I can see the appeal of some form of save system. Waypoints that are few and far between (and perhaps not placed at all in shorter scenarios) perhaps?

This is going to be one of those decisions though left to Steven and team in the end. There will always be voices on both sides of this one, I suspect. Good luck with that Steven! :)

Celes
10-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Personally, I like being able to save, especially when you get interrupted a lot or have to run out or whatever.

The solution for DoP might work here. What about adding a hardcore option that doesn't allow for saving? Have the saves for those that want them, kill the saves with the hardcore option for people that don't.

Cat
10-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Given the nature of the game, I'd think way-point auto-saves would be a good idea.

e.g. Reach X totem, click totem, progress is saved to that point.

Small / medium maps wouldn't require more than 1-2, and even the larger maps would only need four, maximum.

DaveyJJ
10-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Personally, I like being able to save, especially when you get interrupted a lot or have to run out or whatever.

The solution for DoP might work here. What about adding a hardcore option that doesn't allow for saving? Have the saves for those that want them, kill the saves with the hardcore option for people that don't.

Oh, this is a very good idea and a pretty darn good compromise among the user base here I think. Make the hardest difficulty rating or two have no save ability at all and, if programmatically possible within the timeframe you want to release in, add save ability in some form (waypoints, full saves etc) at the lower difficulty ratings. Helps differentiate the difficulty levels even more.

If there isn't time to get the saves programmed, just put that on the 1.1 update list maybe.

But a good idea, Celes.

Logorouge
10-22-2008, 12:31 AM
I like the idea of a "No Saves Hardcore Mode". Those who want to save can and those who don't want, they will be recognize as hardcore players. Very nice.

Delilah Rehm
10-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Wow. I'm really surprised at how close this poll is running!

Shadow
10-24-2008, 01:37 PM
There are now saves in the game. They are the save on exit with background autosave variety, so you never need to worry about them. If you always complete the adventure, you won't even notice that they are there.

For those that are worried about exploits, I'm sure there are some, but it saves almost everything including your current position, so it's not like you save/exit and get to go back to a safe position.

Delve
10-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Does it save status effects? That's one thing I always found incongruous in DoP.

Shadow
10-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Status effects are one of the few things it doesn't save. This might change before we are finished though.

Delve
10-24-2008, 07:26 PM
That would leave open an exploit to remove fire/poison damage and slowing effects. Granted it will also eliminate any bonus item effects, but still.

Shadow
10-24-2008, 08:02 PM
I know. I haven't decided yet if I want to do anything about that or not or for that matter what I would do.