PDA

View Full Version : Help! I need some "win" strategies

Corvus Corax
09-14-2007, 06:44 PM
I bought the full game a couple of days ago and have been playing it steadily ever since. I really like it, but I also really suck at it!

I've got a level 9 warrior and a level 8 priest and am getting nowhere with both. I've yet to win a game....even with the supposedly overpowered priest. Sometimes I start out as the top covenant, but gradually move to last place (playing on the default "normal" difficulty). I try to stay on friendly terms with the other covenants (by giving them stuff and buying their stuff) while I do quests and try to build up my character. Eventually, however, one or more of the other covenants destroys me. Even if its one-on-one (my covenant against the last remaining AI covenant) I get trashed because that other covenant always seem much more powerful.

Do you have to get really aggressive early on vis-a-vis the other convenants to beat them? Is there some strategy for playing this game that eludes me? So far, I guess I've been "turtleling," but I'm wondering if this is the way to go.

Vas
09-14-2007, 07:00 PM
there are tons of ways to win.. and to loose ;)

since you around lvl 8 and 9 - do you have max recruits in your covenant? also if you have troubles defending try to buy a saurian guard (works wonders at early levels). kick the weaker recruits out and get some warriors with 2 hand weapons ;) .

Shadow
09-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Like Vas said at lower levels grabbing new recruits is probably the easiest way to boost the power of your covenant. Another big thing is to solve as many quests as possible because this is the easiest way to gain experience and influence with the town. Also try to buy some good guards so that your house is defended fairly well.

You also can always start a new game with the enemy aggression set to easy. This makes it so the enemy covenants adventure less (so they level slower), they aren't as likely to go to war or to raid, and diplomacy has more effect.

AnalogKid
09-15-2007, 12:43 AM
As has been said, there's LOTS of ways to do well in this game, and for now I'll just add this specific tidbit to the other great suggestions already posted:

- The game auto-pauses at certain times (map, reading books, char screen, skills screen, covenant diplomacy screen), but when talking to people, the game does NOT auto-pause. If you spend a lot of time in stores or reading quests, make sure to manually pause the game once you've initiated the interaction (this includes your inventory, quests, stores, & talking to NPCs). You can still navigate menus and buy/sell. You can't identify items in the normal way, because that takes time, but you can "ID all" at a vendor while paused if you choose to pay for it.

I know that if I didn't pause as often as I do, other covenants would definitely level up faster than me because of all the "wasted" time not adventuring.

(still, as mentioned #1 help: get 5 followers ASAP and keep going after any new ones that are higher levels)

Delilah Rehm
09-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Don't forget to use relics. If you've good relics, they can boost your standing. Solving quests is HUGE too. Also, I third recruit. In the early days, that is probably the most important thing.

When you are buddying up to the other covs, pick two or three to become friends with. Sometimes it's really hard to keep them all happy, but you usually can keep a few happy. Happy at around 60 and you can get a non-aggresion pact. Happy at around 70 and you can get a mutual defense pact.

Corvus Corax
09-16-2007, 06:44 AM
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I've now all but beaten a game, but am keeping the last AI covenant alive so that I can improve my skills, explore the game-world at leisure (and farm the game a bit ;) ).

I've currently got the following group: L15 rogue, L14 rogue, L9 warrior, L9 priest, and L15 priest (my constant companion). My priest char is currently L14.

I completed a recruiting quest for a L10 mage a while ago, but never took him into the covenant because I think my L9 priest is more useful. The L10 mage has been standing there (with the exclamation mark over his head) for a couple of hours now. Is he blocking any other potential recruits from showing up? Should you always take a higher level recruit, no matter what his class and attributes, over a lower level covenant member? I grabbed the two rogues because their levels were so much higher than the covenant members they replaced. I'm not sure about the L10 mage over the L9 priest, however.

Shadow
09-16-2007, 10:26 AM
I believe the recruit will stick around as long as you have the recruit quest. If you get rid of the quest he should go away and yes he is holding up other recruits from coming.

Higher level recruits are usually better, but it really does depend on their mix of skills and if they have any bonuses. Since both of these are random some recruits might be much more powerful than others.

Oh, and you can win your game and stay in the same world as long as you like. When you win, it will add a win icon in the upper right area. You will stay in the same world until you click on this icon to start a new game or you start a new game from the menus.

Delilah Rehm
09-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Yeah, but the icon blinks. It'd drive me crazy over time.

Corvus Corax
09-16-2007, 06:41 PM
I've got a couple of more questions. First: What's the maximum level for a character in the full game? Second: How does "Greater Heal" work? I'm not sure I fully understand the explanation in the Demo Priest Guide:

4 Greater Heal (90 heal, +28 heal per point)
Great. Any Priest. Best healing spell in all ways. Can be cast on you or your follower. Can be useful in middle of hectic battle where the teleport stone isn't a fast enough option. Spares your lifestone during raids. Can be cast on all raiding members during a raid, even if you're not there (so you can stay at home and heal your troops with no risk while they do the dirty work).

I've got Greater Heal 2 at the moment. How do I cast it on everyone during a raid? It seems like it needs a single specific target. Can I somehow use it to protect all my covenant members when I'm being raided (rather than just targeting individual ones)? Finally, how do I stay at home and cast Greater Heal while my covenant members carry out a raid (other than getting killed on the raid and being resurrected at home)? I seem to need to lead them on raids, plus, once again, I don't see how to cast Greater Heal on all members simultaneously as the above quote seems to indicate. Thanks for any info. :)

Pladio
09-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Greater Heal doesn't heal multiple people at once, it does however heal one person a great deal. There's another healing spell the priest has that heals multiple characters at once by by a much lesser degree. It costs more points too, so is considered less effective and less useful by most players including Analogkid who made that guide. I forgot how it's called though, but you can find it easily in the guide, it's several spells lower than Greater Heal.

EDIT: It's called Area Heal.

Corvus Corax
09-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Oh yeah, another thing I'm wondering about: When one of my guard monsters is killed it's corpse remains behind with 0 hitpoints. I can put it in my inventory, take it to the beastmaster, and give it back to her. Is there anything else I can do with it.....like restore it to life?

AnalogKid
09-17-2007, 02:52 AM
Second: How does "Greater Heal" work? I'm not sure I fully understand the explanation in the Demo Priest Guide:

I've got Greater Heal 2 at the moment. How do I cast it on everyone during a raid? It seems like it needs a single specific target. Can I somehow use it to protect all my covenant members when I'm being raided (rather than just targeting individual ones)? Finally, how do I stay at home and cast Greater Heal while my covenant members carry out a raid (other than getting killed on the raid and being resurrected at home)? I seem to need to lead them on raids, plus, once again, I don't see how to cast Greater Heal on all members simultaneously as the above quote seems to indicate. Thanks for any info. :)
Thanks for paying attention to the guide, but please always remember that it was more of a "my notes and thoughts on the demo", as well as my personal feedback on the skills as they were, rather than any kind of official guide! ;)

In this case, though, I think it's just a case of me trying to save words and so not being perfectly clear...

- Start the raid, go through and get all your followers to engage. Then manually run home or use the little raid gate to go back to your lifestone.

- Now, use the right mouse button and click on various follower's life bars (on the left side of your screen) to target them. You can then cast any spells (not just Greater Heal) on them that you normally could. It doesn't matter that they're elsewhere in the city... (this might be considered a bug and eventually get fixed, don't know)

- When I say "heal everyone", I mean that you can go through and cast it on anyone that needs healing whenever you need to. If you are there, using healing magic almost always makes all the bad guys target you (lots of Hate, I guess). But if you're across down chillin' on your sofa, the badguys don't know how to stop the healing. :D

I find Greater Healing better than Area Heal because it's always useful. Normally you only have 1 follower with you (while adventuring), and of course you get a lot more than 2x healing with Greater Healing compared to Area Heal. In the case of Raids, I find that you can just spam Greater Heal at whomever is lowest in health, including yourself when you become the focus of everyone's hate (in case you don't want to exploit the lifebar targeting "feature").

Corvus Corax
09-17-2007, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the detailed reply. I sort of stumbled on the methodology you described. That is, I got killed during a raid then (back home) started right clicking on the bars of my party, keeping them healed till they destroyed the enemy lifestone. Works great!

Shadow
09-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Oh yeah, another thing I'm wondering about: When one of my guard monsters is killed it's corpse remains behind with 0 hitpoints. I can put it in my inventory, take it to the beastmaster, and give it back to her. Is there anything else I can do with it.....like restore it to life?

No, once a guard is dead, it's dead. The game simply keeps the guard item/icon around, so that you know you used to have a guard but it has died.

Corvus Corax
09-20-2007, 07:29 PM
I guess I can just test this when I finish my next game.....but I'll ask anyway:
Since guards can go into my inventory, can I take my high-end guards from one game into another, new game (of course, there'd be no crystals to pay them initially)?

Shadow
09-20-2007, 09:40 PM
If I remember correctly, the game gets rid of all of the guards when you go to a new game, even if they are "hidden" in your inventory.

nelln
12-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Hey. Having a lvl34 Warrior and getting a little tired of the regular game, I looked for loopholes. And succeeded. LOL. "Win exploits" I discovered were:

-a trading method (bug) that allows for infinite money (though if done in a rush, another covenant will end up having a fraction of that money value. Who cares, no? :p)
-stat plus items allow equipping of otherwise inequippable equipment. Will not unequip if stat plus expires or is removed. Really IMBA for fighters.
-easy infinite relations from the beginning of a game (equals easy alliances)
-To validate this, I used it in a lvl100 game vs 6 covenants, and won in 30 minutes, maybe 10 if I opted for a secondary win. The lvl103 reward box took SO long to open, yielding several tomes and relics and a few equipment. The tomes were still +2. Blah. Relics were good, but lvl40/lvl60 needed.)
-Having infinite relations and exploiting the "break treaty" and "break trade route" options, I ripped off enough influence from every one of my allies right before they finished my raiding order for the last non-ally. This catapulted me in front of everybody even though they're all at 100 and I'm 34.(I let them do all the work--my first raid I tried to get into the action. Was whacked by a warrior back to my covenant for 918 damage. Easily the most damage in one hit and death by highest level monster.):p

I found no exploits on SP and EXP (THANKFULLY). Going back to my regular cleave-and-power-attack game tomorrow. :)

Why are rings and jewels extremely hard to find...:mad:

tuberski
02-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply. I sort of stumbled on the methodology you described. That is, I got killed during a raid then (back home) started right clicking on the bars of my party, keeping them healed till they destroyed the enemy lifestone. Works great!

I found you can put the pointer over the recruit and hit your heal hotkey for the same effect.

kaeruu
02-27-2008, 05:15 AM
I guess I can just test this when I finish my next game.....but I'll ask anyway:
Since guards can go into my inventory, can I take my high-end guards from one game into another, new game (of course, there'd be no crystals to pay them initially)?

I practically can't put them in the shared stash. They're not allowed.

tuberski
02-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Yeah I tried that yesterday.

ShaggyMoose
02-27-2008, 02:07 PM
- Now, use the right mouse button and click on various follower's life bars (on the left side of your screen) to target them. You can then cast any spells (not just Greater Heal) on them that you normally could. It doesn't matter that they're elsewhere in the city... (this might be considered a bug and eventually get fixed, don't know)

- When I say "heal everyone", I mean that you can go through and cast it on anyone that needs healing whenever you need to. If you are there, using healing magic almost always makes all the bad guys target you (lots of Hate, I guess). But if you're across down chillin' on your sofa, the badguys don't know how to stop the healing.
I found this "feature" as well. It seems to make raiding with a priest quite unbalanced and feels like an exploit to me.