PDA

View Full Version : Recruit spell damaging my lifestone?

Desticato
09-15-2007, 09:12 PM
I discovered this a few days ago but figured that the recruit in question was 'bugged' so I simply swapped her out. Here's what's happening:

Routinely, upon arriving back at my covenant's house, I notice that my lifestone is damaged. This sometimes coincides with a warning that its health is below 75%. The first time it happened I watched for a bit and, since it was healing itself, didn't think much of it. On subsequent visits to my home I found the lifestone between 50-75 health. I know that, given my play style, I use the stone quite a bit for healing but this seemed extreme. There had been no recent town attacks or raids against my covenant so the severity of the damage was especially baffling.

When this occurred in a brand-new 'world' I decided to expend the effort to identify the problem. It seems that one of my recruits, a level 23 priest, was casting self-buffs and also imbuing me with a couple of enchantments. Now, I'm not 100% certain that this is the spell causing the problem, but I think that Hardiness, when cast in proximity to the lifestone, somehow damages it substantially. I have seen a fully-healed lifestone drop 15-20 percent each time it is cast nearby.

As you can imagine, I feared that this bug would result in the defeat of my covenant or, at the very least, give the opposing covenants an advantage if they decided to raid me, so I kicked my priest to the curb. Before long I replaced her with another recruit of roughly the same level and abilities but without Hardiness as a buff. My lifestone never suffered this phantom damage again.

However, as my character has gotten closer to level 30, I've found myself systematically replacing those recruits that I haven't had the time to level with me. Twice since, I've hired on a priest of a higher level and each time they came equipped with Hardiness. As you have probably guessed, each one caused unintentional damage to my lifestone, quite often at less-than-opportune times.

I've decided to run exclusively with my most recent priest recruit (w/ Hardiness) since she had a bonus attribute of "Defender" which I considered too precious to miss out on because of this bug. Since she's only in the covenant home when I drop in for a quick heal or to manage my chests, she doesn't have a lot of opportunities for mischief. However, I'm pretty sure I've observed her damaging the lifestone even when she's teamed with me, so I don't think that the bug is limited to 'stay-home' recruits.

Please let me know if there is any additional information I can provide. Oh, and those of you reading this who have Priest characters: you are in the unique position to be able to enlighten us as to whether or not this problem occurs when you cast Hardiness near your lifestone.

MarkB
09-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Your healthstone's maximum HP seems to be based on your Covenant's maximum HP. I don't know how the formula works, but if you mouse over the healthstone's bar, you can see that its actual HP doesn't change, just the maximum. If, for example, your healthstone is at 10000/10000 HP, then your Priest spam casts Hardiness, and its max HP is increased to 15000, it would be at 10000/15000, or 2/3. You're not really at a disadvantage, and in fact you're slightly better off when your whole Covenant is buffed.

Hope that made sense.

Desticato
09-16-2007, 01:11 AM
Actually, that makes perfect sense. I'll confess that I never noticed exactly how many hitpoints it had originally nor, as a Warrior with little-to-no practical knowledge of priestly things, precisely what Hardiness did.

I've seen this particular side-effect of buffs in other games, including a lot of MMOs, but failed to associate the two. More familiarity with the cleric class and paying attention to little things like my lifestone's maximum health might've prevented my Chicken-little impersonation.

I'll file this one away as a lack of observation on my part and do my best to research things like this before reporting them in the future. Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me!

Shadow
09-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Yeah MarkB is correct. The lifestone's health is based on the health of all of your recruits' and your health added together and then multiplied by some factor (I forgot off hand how much). When a priest casts hardiness on someone, it raises their max health and thus the lifestone's max health. So the max health of the lifestone will go up and down as buffs like that come and go but it shouldn't hurt the current health any.

As a side note, I might change this in a patch sometime so that it no longer appears that your lifestone is being hurt and so you don't get random warnings about your lifestone's health.

calidorn
11-20-2007, 05:49 PM
I would not mind seeing hardiness come with hps when cast. I often find myself suddenly minus hps when it is recast. I can imagine there would be the whole 'used as a heal issue' but maybe if npc's can refresh it just before it drops and the refreshed spell came with hps while a freshly cast spell did not... or something.......