PDA

View Full Version : Shadow -- Some Mod Questions For You.

Suntics
11-14-2008, 10:09 PM
I really, REALLY love modding this game. So, first I would like to give you a very big thanks for making this game moddable.

Here's my first question;

Is it possible to put a threshold on how many town attacks can happen at once? I saw the QuestThreshold command being used to spawn quests, so I am wondering if it is also possible to apply this to town attacks.

The reason for this is that I made the attacks happen pretty rapidly, since I like the competition of who can stay alive the longest -- me or some other covenant. However, it gets to the point where the other covenants simply can't kill the monsters fast enough.

So, I wind up with a town chock-full of monsters and my frames-per-second count turns into a frame-per-minute kind of thing. My comp can't handle 600 monsters on screen at once. :p

I would like to make it so that about ten attacks can happen pretty rapidly and, then the chance to spawn additional units drops... dramatically.

Second question:

I played around with the War Mage mod. Neat idea.

I am wondering if it is possible to make passive abilities based on chance.

For example, the War Mage mod uses the OnHit and WhenHit commands to throw up a fireball or a shock to the enemy. Plus, the player has to actually cast the ability in order to get the Fire Imbue and Lightning Imbue status effect.

So, is it possible to make a passive skill that, say, has a 15% chance to cast a Frost Nova every time the unit is hit, or every time the unit lands a hit?

That would be really neat!

Shadow
11-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Is it possible to put a threshold on how many town attacks can happen at once? I saw the QuestThreshold command being used to spawn quests, so I am wondering if it is also possible to apply this to town attacks.

Well that depends. If you are creating town attack quests from increasing the QuestTypeChanceTownAttack value in systems.gdb you can limit this with the QuestThreshold stuff. Just pick a reasonable threshold and lower the chance a lot or set it to 0. This will effect all of the random quests though, not just town attacks. Do something like this:

QuestThreshold 20
QuestChance 0.0

If you are adding them from TownAttackChance directly from other quests then the only thing I can think of is to lower the percent chance some.

I am wondering if it is possible to make passive abilities based on chance.

Unfortunately, not at the moment. I know what you are talking about though. Kivi's Underworld has skills like this.

Suntics
11-16-2008, 05:44 AM
Actually, the problem I have is this:

Coordinated town attack!
Coordinated town attack!
Coordinated town attack!
...and so on.

Now, it's ok when there are only a couple groups that call a couple more groups.

It gets a bit more out of hand when those groups call in their buddies, who call in their buddies, who call in...

MinCount 9
MaxCount 12
MaxMonsters 20

Announce 0

MinEventTime 25.0
MaxEventTime 30.0

SpawnChance 0.7
GateOutChance 0.0
GateInChance 0.2

I can see that there's a limit to how many monsters should logically spawn:
MaxMonsters 20

However, which factor actually spawns them? I've tried messing around with both SpawnChance and GateInChance but... all I keep getting are coordinated town attacks.

The above is the most balanced setting I could come up with to my liking, still it occasionally produces an overflow of monsters that nearly freezes my computer... if they haven't killed me by that time :p.

Shadow
11-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Ok, here's what all of the parameters do (well at least the relevant ones):

MinCount - the minimum # of monsters to spawn in the first wave
MaxCount - the max # of monsters to spawn in the first wave

MaxMonsters - max monsters to have out at any one time for each town attack

MinEventTime / MaxEventTime - this controls how often this quest should try to cause other events (like spawn another town attack or spawn another monster)

TownAttackChance - this is the chance to spawn another town attack quest

SpawnChance - this is the chance to spawn another monster

I'm not sure what you want to change to balance your idea exactly. However, just remember whenever the TownAttackChance goes off you are going to get a completely new town attack quest which is going to immediately spawn MinCount to MaxCount new monsters and has it's own TownAttackChance and SpawnChance tries.

Hopefully that answered your question. :)

Suntics
11-19-2008, 01:34 AM
Yep. Beautifully. Thank you!

Shadow
11-19-2008, 10:34 AM
Glad I could help.