PDA

View Full Version : Movie Dorkness Rising has Called Me to Adventure!

Delilah Rehm
11-20-2008, 02:44 PM
I don’t know how this ended up on our netflicks list, but The Gamers: Dorkness Rising (http://www.amazon.com/Gamers-Dorkness-Rising-Matt-Vancil/dp/B000MR9EQM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1227192902&sr=1-1) is an awesome movie. It's about a group of pen and paper gamers. The DM is trying to write a new campaign but the players keep dying… Until they add a new player, a girl who doesn’t do things the usual way.

Very, very funny and well written movie. I highly recommend it for everyone. You don’t have to be very knowledgeable about gaming to understand it. Just rent it! You won’t be disappointed. This is one of those little gems you never hear about. Now you have, so there’s no excuse to miss it. (Unless you just don’t watch movie or something like that.)

I’d never played any kind of D&D before, but this movie had me wanting to give it a whirl. Steven, of course, has played D&D before, so on our mostly kid-free weekend, he pulled out his (I think 2.5 edition) books, we made characters and went on a quick little adventure.

Steven is a bit rusty and wouldn’t let me play a thief so I picked a fighter, and she turned out awesome. 18 strength with 100% bonus (+3 attack, +6 damage, 335 lb. weight allowance!!!), 17 dexterity, 14 constitution (health), 10 intelligence, 4 wisdom (she’s ditzy), and 13 charisma.

As the DM, Steven made a kind of babysitter character to adventure with me. He calls him completely average and kind of sucky. 14 STR, 13 DEX, 13 Con, 11 INT, 11 WIS, and 8 CHA.

When I was buying equipment (poor with only 80 gp), I saw the war dogs and I wanted one! I made up the story that my father trained war dogs and while he was out of town, thieves (one of whom the dogs knew) stole the dogs. Xena (mine) and Blank (Steven’s… He didn’t ever write a character name and started to call him Blank) went out to retrieve the dogs! We fought goblins, giant fire beetles and the bandits. One of the dogs got hurt and couldn’t breed anymore, so my father gave her to me!!! Yay!

I had a great time. Steven mentioned maybe this is something we can do with the kids to spend more time with them. I’ve been on the look out for these things because I want an active relationship with the kids, but at the same time I want things everyone can enjoy rather than just kids stuff that we have to endure.

The kids are beyond excited and since I stipulated that the house must be clean before we play, they’ve been cleaning like mad! They still have to work on their rooms, but it looks like we’ll be adventuring on Saturday.

We went ahead and helped the kids make characters though. The boy rolled well; his dwarf fighter has 17 STR, 15 DEX, 16 CON, 14 INT, 15 WIS and 7 CHA. The girl rolled the smartest character; her mage has 10 STR, 13 DEX, 14 CON, 16 INT, 16 WIS, 13 CHA. We’ve decided River (girl’s) being 18 and Xena being 16 (we rolled for age), River is Xena’s older sister. Our father was away bringing River back from wizard school because he can’t afford it anymore. Ditzy Xena lost the dogs but got them back again. Blank is also 16. He and Xena are best friends (though he wants to be more). Sketch (boy’s) used to work for Blank’s rich father. Blank and Xena liked their taste of adventure and want to do more. Xena’s father is sending River with them because Xena is so ditzy! And of course, Sketch will come too. On Saturday.

I can’t wait to roll play my daughter’s little sister. Strike that, make it ditzy little sister! I’m writing the story for the DM which he can twist to his taste, and he’ll add in the monsters and the loot (stuff I don’t know about). Since I’ll know the story in advance, I’ll have to let the kids do a lot of the leading, which shouldn’t be so hard considering Xena’s 4 wisdom make her act like a natural blonde!

Shadow
11-20-2008, 03:22 PM
We are playing 2nd edition. I do have a couple third edition books, but not enough to play with (like no monsters). Yes, I know that we are basically playing 3 major versions behind the current D&D. :)

scragar
11-20-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm not a fan of DnD4, it doesn't support role playing so much as it does dungeon crawling.

If you like DnD2 though I recomend trying a game or 2 of GURPS if you can, it's a really good system that let's you play almost anything, I've played 6 stories so far, from standard human(early in story 2), to super hero(later on that same story), intergalactic police(first game we played, we based it on a star wars build we had, taking power from the force and increasing tech levels to compensate, worked really well) to classic fantasy(I got to play as a total conman and steal from my own party at the very end, lot's of fun). The rules are really simple as well.

Delilah Rehm
11-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Cool! I think Steven might have some of those books. I've seen Wil Wheaton talk about them too.

Shadow
11-21-2008, 11:05 AM
I do have some GURPS books. I have never played any games with them though.

Delilah Rehm
11-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Well, Saturday's adventure has ended. Right at the end 20 germ-somethings almost had us. All three of us warriors were unconscious, our mage has one hit point left, and my war dog had 5 hit points left. We survived by the skin of our teeth! But the loot was good. Money and gems, the usual. Now we can leave the cave and get back on track of our original quest... Maybe!