PDA

View Full Version : Startup crash

lobski
11-27-2008, 05:16 AM
Whenever I launch the game (patched), the screen flickers and it crashes back to desktop. The log file is empty. I even tried the demo, and same problem. I also tried running it in a window, same problem.

Any ideas?

PC VERSION

Shadow
11-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Most of the time when this happens the culprit is old sound card drivers, so I would upgrade your sound drivers and then try again.

lobski
11-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Most of the time when this happens the culprit is old sound card drivers, so I would upgrade your sound drivers and then try again.

Already updated. Any other ideas?

Shadow
11-27-2008, 10:43 PM
You could add the following to your user.cfg file and then the log file will contain more useful information.

logfile 2
developer 1

What version are you patched up to?

lobski
11-27-2008, 11:27 PM
You could add the following to your user.cfg file and then the log file will contain more useful information.

logfile 2
developer 1

What version are you patched up to?

I got the beta patch installed. After adding those two in the user.cfg, this is what I get:

Asset dir - D:/Games/Depths of Peril/Assets
Asset writable dir -
Asset user writable dir -
Readonly user dir - D:/Games/Depths of Peril/User
Writable user dir - D:/Games/Depths of Peril/User
Initializing networking
RPG Version 1.013

Shadow
11-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Log wise, the next thing you would see is the sound card initialization. What kind of sound card do you have?

lobski
11-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Log wise, the next thing you would see is the sound card initialization. What kind of sound card do you have?

Hmm, interesting.

I've got an HT Striker. It uses the C-Media chipset.

Does anyone else have this chipset on their soundcard?

Shadow
11-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Ok, here's something you can try.

We are going to try to replace OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal.dll in the main Depths of Peril directory.

First, make copies of these 2 files.
Then copy the ones that should be in windows\system32 into the Depths of Peril directory. If you are using a 64bit Windows OS these files might be somewhere else.

Now see if the game works.

lobski
11-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Ok, here's something you can try.

We are going to try to replace OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal.dll in the main Depths of Peril directory.

First, make copies of these 2 files.
Then copy the ones that should be in windows\system32 into the Depths of Peril directory. If you are using a 64bit Windows OS these files might be somewhere else.

Now see if the game works.

I copied the dll's from /system32 into the game directory, still no go. Same thing in the log.

Shadow
12-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Ok, I have another thing you can try.

Download this updated OpenAL zip (http://www.soldak.com/files/patches/UpdatedOpenAL.zip), unzip it, and then move the 2 files into your Depths of Peril directory overwriting the old versions.

Then see if it works.

lobski
12-06-2008, 07:13 AM
No luck....

Will I not be able to play the game?

Shadow
12-06-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm not really sure, apparently your computer hates me.

I have something else that we can try to at least verify if it's a sound issue or not.

Go into your user.cfg file and change the s_initSound line to 0 instead of 1. It should look like this:

s_initSound 0

This will completely turn off the sound, which isn't fun, but might get us closer to a solution.

lobski
12-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Disabling sound altogether with that line still gives the same problem.

:(

Shadow
12-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Well I guess it's not sound related then.

It does also setup some of the graphics stuff in there, but that usually doesn't cause any problems. You could open up your user.cfg and find r_width and r_height and change those to some resolution you know your computer can handle like your desktop resolution.

lobski
12-12-2008, 02:44 AM
I tried the new 8.12 Catalyst drivers, still no go.

I guess I wasn't destined to play this game or something.

Too bad I can't refund on Steam :(

Shadow
12-12-2008, 11:58 AM
That does suck.

Did you try to change the resolution? I have heard of cases with certain LCD monitors not supporting our default resolution.

You could also try the demo from our site and see if our version works for you. In theory, the steam version might be the thing that is causing you issues.

You mentioned patched in your first post, you didn't apply one of our patches to the steam version did you?

lobski
12-15-2008, 10:27 AM
That does suck.

Did you try to change the resolution? I have heard of cases with certain LCD monitors not supporting our default resolution.

You could also try the demo from our site and see if our version works for you. In theory, the steam version might be the thing that is causing you issues.

You mentioned patched in your first post, you didn't apply one of our patches to the steam version did you?

Changing the resolution doesn't work, and I tried all other resolutions, including my desktop res, which is 2560x1600. I also tried the demo, same problem. After the game wouldn't work, I tried running the Steam version with the patch applied manually.

Shadow
12-18-2008, 02:19 PM
I meant did you try our version of the demo directly off of our website (not the steam version of our demo)?

Other than that I'm kind of out of ideas. Anyone else have any ideas?

ncc386
12-27-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm having a similar problem.

I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate x64 w/ 4GB RAM, Radeon HD3870 PCI-e, and an Asus SupremeFX-II sound card. When I double-click the icon to run DoP, I get the main menu and a working hand-pointer, but I can't click anything and the menu choices do not highlight green upon rollover. After about 5 or 10 seconds, I get the Busy mouse icon and have to ALT-TAB back to the desktop, where I am greeted with "Depths of Peril has stopped working".

Here is what ends up in the log file:

Asset dir - D:/Depths of Peril/Assets
Asset writable dir -
Asset user writable dir -
Readonly user dir - D:/Depths of Peril/User
Writable user dir - D:/Depths of Peril/User
Initializing networking
RPG Version 1.012

Opened Speakers (SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio) Device
Using 62 sound sources
Sound system initialized

CPU Type: GenuineIntel
CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
CPU Features: FPU, MMX, SSE, SSE2, CLFL, TSC, CX8, CMOV, VME, DE, PSE, MSR, PAE, MCE, APIC, SEP, MTRR, PGE, MCA, PAT, PSE36, FXSR, DTES, SS, HTT, TM1, SSE3
Sound card: Speakers (SoundMAX Integrated D
RAM: 4094 MByte!
Input initialized
Debug system started

I tried downloading the updated version of those OpenAL drivers and they didn't work. Any other ideas?

ncc386
12-27-2008, 12:34 PM
I just edited the default.cfg file and set the game to start in a window instead of fullscreen. It plays fine now. But if I try to go fullscreen, it craps itself. Hope this helps!

Djaxn
12-27-2008, 06:47 PM
I have the same issue. It will run at 1680x1050 in Windowed Mode. But I get nothing but the main menu and a moveable mouse when I start in Full Screen mode. The same error occurs if I startup in Windowed Mode and then apply Fullscreen Mode from Options. I performed the troubleshooting steps above. The error still occurs if I disable Sound. It still occurs if I manually edit the user.cfg file to use 1680x1050 in Fullscreen Mode.

Vista Business SP1
Steam Version of the Demo (fully patched)
ATI 4850 Graphics Card
MS Sidewinder Mouse

I downloaded and installed the demo (non-Steam version) directly from your website. The same error occurs with that version. Windowed Mode works. Fullscreen Mode crashes.

----------------------

Log File (Steam Version):

Initializing networking
RPG Version 1.009

Opened Generic Software Device
Using 256 sound sources
Sound system initialized

CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
CPU Features: FPU, MMX, SSE, SSE2, CLFL, TSC, CX8, CMOV, VME, DE, PSE, MSR, PAE, MCE, APIC, SEP, MTRR, PGE, MCA, PAT, PSE36, FXSR, DTES, SS, HTT, TM1, SSE3
Sound card: Speakers/HP (IDT High Definitio
RAM: 2028 MByte!
Input initialized
Debug system started

----------------------

Log File (Non-Steam Version):
Initializing networking
RPG Version 1.009

Opened Generic Software Device
Using 256 sound sources
Sound system initialized

CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Sound card: Speakers/HP (IDT High Definitio
RAM: 2028 MByte!
Input initialized
Debug system started

----------------------

How can I get this running in Fullscreen Mode?

Shadow
12-29-2008, 02:38 PM
For both of you, I would suggest that you upgrade your graphics drivers.

ncc386
12-30-2008, 02:26 PM
They aren't out of date. In fact, everything is fairly new technology. It never used to do this before. What can I do to help you figure this out?

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate x64 on a Core2Duo E8400 @ 3GHz. I have 4GB of RAM and my graphics are rendered with a Diamond Radeon HD3870 PCI-e 2.0. I'm using an Asus P5E Deluxe mainboard. The firmware and drivers of all my hardware are currently up to date. However, I'm about to go download the latest and greatest DirectX 10 to see if it helps.

ncc386
12-31-2008, 01:40 PM
I continued to search for a solution or some sort of hint as to what it could be. In the processes, I found that by re-installing the latest DirectX10, I could go fullscreen again.

Everyone who is having this problem, go to http://www.microsoft.com/directx/ install the latest webdist of DirectX to see if it help. I'm up and working fine, now. w00t!:D

Shadow
01-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Oh, cool. Thanks for figuring this out ncc386.

Djaxn
01-07-2009, 06:08 PM
For both of you, I would suggest that you upgrade your graphics drivers.

I am running the latest drivers:

ATI Catalyst Driver: ver 8.12 (8.561.0.0000)

----------

I continued to search for a solution or some sort of hint as to what it could be. In the processes, I found that by re-installing the latest DirectX10, I could go fullscreen again.

Everyone who is having this problem, go to http://www.microsoft.com/directx/ install the latest webdist of DirectX to see if it help. I'm up and working fine, now. w00t!:D

When I download/run the DirectX web installer, I am told:

"DirectX setup has determined that a newer or equivalent version of DirectX has been installed allready. No installation is necessary."

----------

Thanks you both for the tips. Any other ideas?

Shadow
01-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Djaxn, have you tried other resolutions in full screen mode?

lobski
02-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Small update: Catalyst 9.1 = same problem

:/

lobski
02-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Excellent news. I fixed it.

It was actually ATI Tray tool's on-screen-display that was causing the problem. What it does is it displays the FPS on-screen on any 3d application.

Finally I can play...

Shadow
02-04-2009, 02:40 PM
That's great news. Sorry I was never very much help. :(

I'll have to see if I can reproduce that on one of my computers and see if it is fixable on my end. I'll probably also add that to the troubleshooting section of the manual.

Thank you for posting what fixed your problem btw.