PDA

View Full Version : Trap Panic in Hardcore

Stormrend
11-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Hello, All. I'm relatively new to DoP - been playing fairly non-stop for the 2 weeks since I found it.

I've always been drawn to the excitement of hardcore play and have started my first HC char (Lvl 7 Rogue). HOWEVER, I made the mistake of reading up on the insta-death delt by traps, especially the infamous purple (magic?) trap of grab-your-boots-&-kiss-your-greaves-goodbye! Now I'm afraid to open any containers or move beyond a zombie's pace.

* I read one post about putting 2.75 - 3.75 (something like that) points into vitality per character level. I'd love to have your feedback as to whether that is necessary/sufficient, especially against the GYB&KYGG purple traps.

* I can avoid opening any containers if that's what it comes down to, but can't seem to outrun the ground-planted traps consistently. Do the GYB&KYGG purple variety come a la dirt as well?

THANKS for any help!

Delilah Rehm
11-29-2008, 11:36 AM
I don't think I've died from a trap. My biggest problem playing hardcore seems to be going underground and getting trapped by monsters. Or getting trapped by Ciglio's risen horde, trapped and unable to get to my teleport stone.

Carrying an emergancy health potion helps, and for back up bring food.

... Wait a minute! I did die from poison once, while I was healing at my lifestone! :eek: Don't stand in poison for long, because that stuff stacks.

Kruztee
11-30-2008, 04:42 AM
Yeah, I used to die a lot to those purple magic traps, and less often to the fire nova ones. I believe that both are found as ground traps as well as on containers.

In hardcore, I tend to pump a LOT more skill points into vitality straight away from the start. Usually I'll keep majoring in VIT until the base value hits 50 for the bonus 5% against physical damage. At the same time I'm looking out for items that have good magic and fire resistance on them. I'll sacrifice raw damage output or defense value for these items especially in the early game, where even a little bit of resistance (say, a value around 10 or so) can negate a good percentage of a low level trap's damage.

For example, even 4 magic resistance will grant around 35% damage negation from a level 1 magic trap or magic spell casting monster. That's more than enough to save your life! Use the character screen to see your current resistance values and keep magic and fire resistance high! Along with your higher than normal HP coming from pumped vitality you have a much better chance of surviving. The overall game progression and leveling will probably be a bit slower though since you're sacrificing your DPS quite a bit to gain survivability. A good choice of recruits can help here.

I normally die in hardcore due to playing Depths when I'm too tired. Overconfidence and lack of concentration kill more characters than traps these days.

Hope this helps a bit:)

Kruztee
11-30-2008, 04:50 AM
... Wait a minute! I did die from poison once, while I was healing at my lifestone! :eek: Don't stand in poison for long, because that stuff stacks.

I agree that poison is more dangerous given time, but you'll rarely (never?) get a poison "instadeath" like with magic and fire.

In order of importance to me playing a hardcore PC, resistances go:

Magic (imperative)
Fire (important)
Poison (nice to have)
Lightning (as a bonus on a nice item, I'll take it)
Cold (same as lightning)

Stormrend
11-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks for helping me un-pucker a bit with my first HC char! :)

For example, even 4 magic resistance will grant around 35% damage negation from a level 1 magic trap or magic spell casting monster.

Can you point me in the right direction (forum post?) that explains how 4 magic resistance will absorb appr. 35% damage from a level 1 magic trap?

Thanks again!

Kruztee
11-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Ummm, not too sure about forum posts, but it's quite easily accessed ingame via your character screen. Simply hover the mouse pointer over any of your resistances and you'll see a pop-up like this:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3588/depthsmh5.th.jpg (http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?image=depthsmh5.jpg)
Click the thumbnail to get a higher detailed image
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting (http://imageshack.us)

Is that what you were after?

Stormrend
12-01-2008, 12:51 AM
Ahhhh.... Thanks, Krustee! :)

(name here)
01-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Ground traps only appear when a trapped town "quest" occurs. (I call it a quest because the event is in the quest file) Otherwise, open containers and run like hell if you hear the click.