PDA

View Full Version : SEO spam

Shadow
12-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Like most people with email accounts I get way too much spam. It's not nearly as bad as when I worked at Ritual though. At Ritual, their website had all of our email address directly on the web page for a while, which as most people know now, is very bad. At one point in time I was getting well over 100 spam emails a day.

Anyways, I got an offer today about improving the SEO of our website. I get these occasionally and I don't think much about it and I file it away so it might be useful at a future date. Even though I usually reply to most of my emails (sometimes slowly), I have never replied to one of these. I know why now.

When I got the one today, it seemed really familiar. So I looked in the folder where I put SEO offers and yep I got another SEO offer yesterday. So I clicked on the one from yesterday and just about nothing changed, just the person's name and company name. Then I checked the other 5 emails that I have saved. Surprise, surprise they are almost all the same and look something like this:

My name or email address

4 lines of generic SEO offer + some gmail address

Sincerely,
Some Name
Blah Marketing

Each one is a different person and only 2 of them have the same company name. What is the chance any of these were actually sent by a person? I would guess zero.

Anyways, I'm just amused that I have gotten a bunch of spam that is pretty relevant to me and doesn't contain obvious spam links, but it still is off putting enough that I have never replied to any of them. Even more amusing is that they have sent so many of them to me that now I know they are spam.

Shadow
12-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Got another one yesterday. This one was in the same format, but was even more amusing than usual. In the spot where all of the rest of them have an email address, this one had [INSERT EMAIL ADDRESS]. :)

icekrystal10
12-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Ah, such amateurs.

scragar
12-17-2008, 11:55 AM
http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6890#post6890
You need a report spam button steven (or have someone clean it up more often).

I've seen that before now, nothing funnier than reciving an email that has great little things like that in it, at one point I got an email that pretty much had to be some sort of failed mail merge(not the email, but the same sort of thing):
Dear {{name}}
I am {{sender}} of {{company}}, and we are writing to you.... your email address, {{to}}, ..... the sum of {{prize}}... please contact {{email}}

{{sender}}
I couldn't help but laugh as I read it :P

Shadow
12-17-2008, 01:10 PM
That's great. I've never seen a spam that bad.

I actually just deleted that spam post before I read this. :) We do get the occasional spam forum post here, but I usually delete them pretty quick.