PDA

View Full Version : Official industry leader

Shadow
01-20-2009, 06:53 PM
There is apparently an interview in the Official Playstation Magazine that someone from Sony claims that they are the official industry leader. There are some snippets over on Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/hirai-were-the-official-industry-leader). I'm going to ignore the obvious question of how the leader can be in 3rd place and answer a question that the interviewee asks. Here's the quote/question:

"We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?" explained Hirai.

Um, how about develop better gameplay? Is he really trying to say that making it hard to develop for is a feature or that they do this on purpose?

Kruztee
01-20-2009, 10:11 PM
There is apparently an interview in the Official Playstation Magazine that someone from Sony claims that they are the official industry leader. There are some snippets over on Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/hirai-were-the-official-industry-leader). I'm going to ignore the obvious question of how the leader can be in 3rd place and answer a question that the interviewee asks. Here's the quote/question:

"We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?" explained Hirai.

Um, how about develop better gameplay? Is he really trying to say that making it hard to develop for is a feature or that they do this on purpose?

I'm a bit suprised to see Sony clutching at straws like this. Still, I suppose he's been told to come up with a story for the media to justify their current industry position. Their market share is being progressively gobbled up by cheap Xbox 360's (sold without the silly and costly HDD that in my opinion was never really needed anyway), and the Wii which has the best universal appeal and innovative features despite being significantly less powerful (system specs) than the competiton. The PS3 is doomed unless Sony can find a way to produce them cheaply enough that at least $200 can be knocked off the RRP.

Kruztee
01-20-2009, 10:23 PM
"It's difficult to talk about Nintendo, because we don't look at their console as being a competitor. They're a different world, and we operate in our world - that's the kind of way I look at things." - Kaz Hirai

I think that this is a bit of a naive attitude to take in a world where people have less and less disposable income to spend on gadgets like video game consoles. If he doesn't think that at least some of his potential customers are not buying Nintendo systems, then he's got his head lodged squarely in the sand.

"We want to expand the demographics from just a videogaming audience to something that's a little bit more massive," Hirai concluded.

I have no idea what he's referring to here. If he's going down the well trodden road about consoles replacing PC's, HD boxes, microwave ovens and fridges, then I've heard it all before and it's not going to happen. Regardless of what Kaz might think, people see the PS3 as a video gaming console, and if it doesn't start to compete seriously with it's competition soon, Sony are just digging their own graves here.

Shadow
01-21-2009, 09:10 AM
"It's difficult to talk about Nintendo, because we don't look at their console as being a competitor. They're a different world, and we operate in our world - that's the kind of way I look at things." - Kaz Hirai

I think that this is a bit of a naive attitude to take in a world where people have less and less disposable income to spend on gadgets like video game consoles. If he doesn't think that at least some of his potential customers are not buying Nintendo systems, then he's got his head lodged squarely in the sand.

"We want to expand the demographics from just a videogaming audience to something that's a little bit more massive," Hirai concluded.

I have no idea what he's referring to here. If he's going down the well trodden road about consoles replacing PC's, HD boxes, microwave ovens and fridges, then I've heard it all before and it's not going to happen. Regardless of what Kaz might think, people see the PS3 as a video gaming console, and if it doesn't start to compete seriously with it's competition soon, Sony are just digging their own graves here.

Those two quotes are also quite amusing.

So they want to expand beyond the typical gamers audience to something more massive? You mean like Nintendo did very well with the Wii? So Nintendo did exactly what you want to do, but they're not a competitor?

Silent_Tales
01-22-2009, 12:48 AM
Yeah.. PS3's are hell expensive even though some of their games didn't live up their hype. This price bomb is caused by the useless Blu-Ray thingy. Xbox360 can beat the graphics of PS3 any day without the use of Blu-Ray. I also read an article with the Japanese dude talking and saying that the PS3 will mark the end of the PC's. WTF?! PS3 can't burn cd's :D and they don't have the power to beat it. PC's are the best platform as of now to play games. They beat any console tenfold. But to do it, you must have an expensive one (like $3000+).. i have a weak PC (128mb graphics, 512MB RAM:o) so that's why I rely on consoles

Like last year me and my brother are planning to buy a console for our family. Being a "better brand name, better item" customer like me, so we wanted a Sony PS3. but the price is enormous.. Its like 600+ here in Australia for the 80G. Then I saw an Xbox360 costing only 500 below. That caused me not to buy the PS3. until now, i'm thinking what to buy hehe!! Wii is also fun i think but I don't bother being my friend has one and we play that always.

icekrystal10
01-22-2009, 09:19 AM
PC gaming won't die. If anything, mainstream corporate gaming will die but we won't miss them. Overhyped, DRM filled, ridiculous system requirements, unfinished, etc. Companies willing to take risks and make fun games should do fine.

I don't own a console but it seems that Nintendo is more about family games and playing with other people, whereas Sony is about flashy graphics. I read something that people aren't willing to pay the premium price for Sony products just to have flashier graphics.

A good gaming PC shouldn't be more than $1500 if you custom build it or wait for a good sale and don't buy the newest hardware the minute it comes out. I noticed you (Silent Tales) are in Australia and it seems everything is more expensive over there.

Kruztee
01-22-2009, 09:24 AM
A good gaming PC shouldn't be more than $1500 if you custom build it or wait for a good sale and don't buy the newest hardware the minute it comes out. I noticed you (Silent Tales) are in Australia and it seems everything is more expensive over there.

I live in Sydney and trust me, you could build an awesome gaming machine for $1500 (I'm assuming US dollars) in Australia:p.

Kruztee
01-22-2009, 09:28 AM
This price bomb is caused by the useless Blu-Ray thingy.

True, Blue-Ray is like the Betamax of the 21st century.

Silent_Tales
01-23-2009, 06:44 PM

Yeah.. The AU dollar is slightly weaker than U.S dollars. Hope Obama can finally fix this worldwide problems. ^_^

I live in Sydney and trust me, you could build an awesome gaming machine for $1500 (I'm assuming US dollars) in Australia:p.

Hello Mr.Krusty.. I'm in Sydney too but I don't know where you shop. PC's with $1500 price tags only has a minimum of 256mb graphics, 2G of RAM and dual core processors and with that specs it can't beat the consoles like PS3.

True, Blue-Ray is like the Betamax of the 21st century.

yeah HeHe.. Sony is taking advantage of its super-uber eye popping graphics of their Blue-Ray which is easily beaten by the HD-DVD of Xbox360. God, who knows what is next Red-Ray and Triple Layer HD-DVD..

icekrystal10
01-23-2009, 08:16 PM
how about dual blue ray? blue ray is actually more advanced than red ray if i remember my physics.

Kruztee
01-24-2009, 01:13 AM
Hello Mr.Krusty.. I'm in Sydney too but I don't know where you shop. PC's with $1500 price tags only has a minimum of 256mb graphics, 2G of RAM and dual core processors and with that specs it can't beat the consoles like PS3.

:confused:

Mr. Silent Tales, you're kidding, right?
US$1500 is around AU$2300 at the moment :D

http://www.techbuy.com.au

If you can't put together a nice gaming rig with that kind of money, you're just not trying.

Also it's a PC and not a silly console, so there's scope to upgrade and customise. Try doing that with a PS3.

That's why consoles MUST be cheaper to buy pound for pound. They're not upgradable, and the life span is around 5 years tops. If Mr. Hirai still thinks that people will still be playing on their PS3s in 10 years time, he's in Disneyland.:p

Kruztee
01-24-2009, 01:20 AM
how about dual blue ray? blue ray is actually more advanced than red ray if i remember my physics.

Hmmm, to be honest, I'm not sure. Certainly no expert.

I do know that with the current state of high definition TV's, the technology has gone past a point where lots of people can actually discern a difference. I recently saw a Blue Ray vs standard HD side-by-side demonstration, and for the life of me couldn't make out what all the fuss was about. :rolleyes:

icekrystal10
01-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Yep, as the tech improves the noticeable difference becomes smaller and smaller. That's why they have to advertise because nobody really needs those things.

A well built PC is vastly superior in power to a console and is upgradeable.

Silent_Tales
01-24-2009, 06:31 PM
:confused:

Mr. Silent Tales, you're kidding, right?
US$1500 is around AU$2300 at the moment :D

http://www.techbuy.com.au

If you can't put together a nice gaming rig with that kind of money, you're just not trying.

Also it's a PC and not a silly console, so there's scope to upgrade and customise. Try doing that with a PS3.

That's why consoles MUST be cheaper to buy pound for pound. They're not upgradable, and the life span is around 5 years tops. If Mr. Hirai still thinks that people will still be playing on their PS3s in 10 years time, he's in Disneyland.:p

Yeah.. I know what you mean.. I look in stores like Officeworks and JB-HiFi maybe that's why.. You have a nice link for PC's by the way.. Some of specs which I only saw for the first time :p