PDA

View Full Version : F'ing Macs Y'all!

torikamal
01-24-2009, 12:18 AM
BTW, I don't how Quicktime updates behave on Macs, but it's really starting to feel like Realplayer to me. First off, it auto-installs iTunes-I don't remember if I could uncheck it or not, but when it is a "trusted" software I usually don't read though any of the update notes, I just click yes. OK, that sucks, whatever--I'll uninstall iTunes. Whoah, now if I click yes one more time without reading, it will install Bonjour. That I can uncheck to finish, but that's sneaky-mean. Oh wait, crap now it needs to restart my computer. OK, I restart my computer for iTunes. Now I want to uninstall it. Oh sweet, now I have to restart my computer again so that iTunes can finish uninstalling.

All just because I clicked yes to a Quicktime update. Does it suck this much on Macs?

:(

Quicktime=Realplayer 2009?

Kruztee
01-24-2009, 01:26 AM
BTW, I don't how Quicktime updates behave on Macs, but it's really starting to feel like Realplayer to me. First off, it auto-installs iTunes-I don't remember if I could uncheck it or not, but when it is a "trusted" software I usually don't read though any of the update notes, I just click yes. OK, that sucks, whatever--I'll uninstall iTunes. Whoah, now if I click yes one more time without reading, it will install Bonjour. That I can uncheck to finish, but that's sneaky-mean. Oh wait, crap now it needs to restart my computer. OK, I restart my computer for iTunes. Now I want to uninstall it. Oh sweet, now I have to restart my computer again so that iTunes can finish uninstalling.

All just because I clicked yes to a Quicktime update. Does it suck this much on Macs?

:(

Quicktime=Realplayer 2009?

Never owned a Mac, probably never will - but iTunes is evil. My daughter installed it on my PC to use her iPod, but I just got sick of it trying to take over the day to day management of all my media files. It got embedded in everything. Such an ugly and unintuitive interface too...

scragar
01-24-2009, 01:35 AM
It's still better than realplayer, Itunes uninstalls when you want it to, real player doesn't exactly uninstall.

Apple have a nasty habit with their package managers, making what they consider core packages default to on for the update manager, even if there is no need for them. As a result you need to check what you update to avoid it installing iTunes, or safari without you knowing.

Shadow
01-24-2009, 10:13 AM
I have never noticed any issues with Quicktime on the Mac, but it's in the auto updates and I already have iTunes, Safari, etc installed. So I'm not sure I would ever notice anything weird like this. On my Windows box though I uninstalled Quicktime and Realplayer a long time ago.

Silent_Tales
01-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Never owned a Mac, probably never will - but iTunes is evil. My daughter installed it on my PC to use her iPod, but I just got sick of it trying to take over the day to day management of all my media files. It got embedded in everything. Such an ugly and unintuitive interface too...

hey I-tunes is not that bad.. It also helps to manage those hundreds of music files using a well organized and Ipod friendly interface.. :D

Kruztee
01-25-2009, 11:17 AM
hey I-tunes is not that bad.. It also helps to manage those hundreds of music files using a well organized and Ipod friendly interface.. :D

LOL

Let us agree to differ in our opinions of the nefarious iTunes.:cool:

torikamal
01-26-2009, 03:26 AM
I really want to like Mac stuff--I really do. They make such great hardware and they make it so smartly, too. I really want an iPod and an iPhone. However, their DRM and proprietarianism is so severe that I just can't bring myself to do it.

I'm downloading all my music from Amazon now since everything from there is DRM-free at the same price.

(I promise I don't work for Amazon)

Jude
01-26-2009, 01:00 PM
I really want to like Mac stuff--I really do. They make such great hardware and they make it so smartly, too. I really want an iPod and an iPhone. However, their DRM and proprietarianism is so severe that I just can't bring myself to do it.

I'm downloading all my music from Amazon now since everything from there is DRM-free at the same price.

(I promise I don't work for Amazon)

Your Amazon-downloaded MP3s will play on an iPod and iTunes (or any music player, I think).

I like Mac computers. :)

BTW, you don't have to auto-update. You can use your Mac's Software Update feature to just list what is new, then choose what to update, or even just go to Apple's update site:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/
and download what you want manually.

Jude

Bak
01-27-2009, 12:50 AM
However, their DRM and proprietarianism is so severe that I just can't bring myself to do it.

I've always thought of their DRM as being lax, as far as DRMs go. Could you give some examples of other DRMs that are less severe than Apple's?

At the last Macworld, Cook announced that the hold-out record labels are finally going to allow Apple to sell the DRM-free music that Amazon was allowed to sell.

Silent_Tales
01-28-2009, 02:38 AM
Hmmm.. Amazon? Have you tried Limewire? Or I think Limewire has no Mac support.. Anyways, don't mind me. Just keep doing the right thing. :p

torikamal
01-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Bak: You can't play an MP3 you downloaded from say Napster (the new pay-version like iTunes) onto your iPod.

You can only play either non-DRM or iTunes only MP3's on an iPod. Sure, you could burn MP3's to a disc and then rip it to iTunes, or use DRM ripping software, but none of those options are very fair.

Likewise, you can buy non-DRM tunes on iTunes, but they cost $.30 more than the DRM version. Amazon, they are all DRM-free, same price.

BTW, Napster DRM, sucks, too--it's not just MACs, but the MAC audio DRM is really prohibitive.

You also can't directly put music you downloaded from iTunes onto a non-iPod MP3 player.

Also, as I understand it (not that it really matters that much), using the above ways to "circumvent" the DRM is illegal. I may have misread the fine print, but that's what I thought it said.

Here's the thing--I really want an iPod because the hardware is genius, but I just can't support that tomofoolery. Same with iPhone.

Silent_Tales
01-30-2009, 02:11 AM
Well, 2 years back, I bought a third generation IPod Nano costing $200 exactly (Australian Bucks). I ignored the fourth gen because its small and its fat. But then suddenly a very cool fifth gen Ipod Nano Chrome appeared a year after costing only $150-195 AUS dollars with heaps of features compared to the one I bought. I regret buying too early now my IpoD. I recommend you waiting a few months because I was hearing another IPod is coming.

Shadow
01-30-2009, 11:53 AM
This always happens with tech.

Silent_Tales
01-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Yeah.. That's also the reason why I avoid the temptation to buy game consoles because I'm worried a PS4 or Xbox720 might come up this year or the next year.

Shadow
01-31-2009, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't expect the next generation of consoles for another few years.

Silent_Tales
01-31-2009, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't expect the next generation of consoles for another few years.

Well actually I saw the PS4 and/or ?Xbox720? will come up on 2012 or 2015. I saw that on some Sony Forums and some PC Forums. And will cost only a bit above the 3rd Gen consoles. Well, better wait for that one.

Bak
02-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Bak: You can't play an MP3 you downloaded from say Napster (the new pay-version like iTunes) onto your iPod.

What point are you making? That is WMA DRM.

iTunes only MP3's

iTunes store does not sell MP3s, it sells AACs (otherwise known as MP4).

Likewise, you can buy non-DRM tunes on iTunes, but they cost $.30 more than the DRM version.

Wrong. It was $.30 more the first months that DRM-free music became available, then became $0.99 just after Amazon first offered DRM-free music. And Apple's offering is higher quality. (Found a MacWorld article (http://www.macworld.com/article/133667/2008/05/stateofdrm.html) that discusses iTunes Plus.)

BTW, Napster DRM, sucks, too--it's not just MACs, but the MAC audio DRM is really prohibitive.

You've said this already, and I don't see it. I asked for a little more detail, so I can see what you are seeing. While DRM-free is better than DRM, I don't see a better DRM out there.

You also can't directly put music you downloaded from iTunes onto a non-iPod MP3 player.

Right, because it is higher quality AAC format. iPods can play both MP3 and MP4 (both open standards), you would think that other music players wouldn't penny-pinch and provide the dual option as well.

Wikipedia: AAC's best known use is as the default audio format of Apple's iPhone, iPod, iTunes, and the format used for all iTunes Store audio.
AAC is also the standard audio format for Sony’s PlayStation 3 and is supported by Sony's Playstation Portable, latest generation of Sony Walkman, Walkman Phones from Sony Ericsson, Nseries Phones from Nokia, Nintendo's Wii (with the Photo Channel 1.1 update installed for Wii consoles purchased before late 2007), the Nintendo DSi, and the MPEG-4 video standard.
Here's the thing--I really want an iPod because the hardware is genius, but I just can't support that tomofoolery. Same with iPhone.

Fair enough. Everyone should go to the beat of their own drummer. I just got the impression that you were blaming Apple for something that the music labels are requiring.

torikamal
02-04-2009, 12:14 AM
--Quote:
--Originally Posted by torikamal
--Bak: You can't play an MP3 you downloaded from say --Napster (the new pay-version like iTunes) onto your iPod.
--What point are you making? That is WMA DRM.

Well, I'm not a fan of WMA either--the format or the DRM. I just read that Napster is going DRM-free, too. It's funny how you toss one pebble in the pond and the ripples push out.

--Quote:
--iTunes only MP3's
--iTunes store does not sell MP3s, it sells AACs (otherwise --known as MP4).

Very true--I should have taken more time for specificity.

--Quote:
--Likewise, you can buy non-DRM tunes on iTunes, but they --cost $.30 more than the DRM version.
--Wrong. It was $.30 more the first months that DRM-free --music became available, then became $0.99 just after --Amazon first offered DRM-free music. And Apple's offering --is higher quality. (Found a MacWorld article that --discusses iTunes Plus.)

This is very good news!

--Quote:
--BTW, Napster DRM, sucks, too--it's not just MACs, but the --MAC audio DRM is really prohibitive.
--You've said this already, and I don't see it. I asked for --a little more detail, so I can see what you are seeing. --While DRM-free is better than DRM, I don't see a better --DRM out there.

Quote:
-Originally Posted by torikamal
-You also can't directly put music you downloaded from -iTunes onto a non-iPod MP3 player.
--Right, because it is higher quality AAC format. iPods can --play both MP3 and MP4 (both open standards), you would --think that other music players wouldn't penny-pinch and --provide the dual option as well.

Music quality is actually much more dependant on the actual compression software or hardware being used rather than the format.

--Wikipedia: AAC's best known use is as the default audio --format of Apple's iPhone, iPod, iTunes, and the format --used for all iTunes Store audio.
--AAC is also the standard audio format for Sony’s --PlayStation 3 and is supported by Sony's Playstation --Portable, latest generation of Sony Walkman, Walkman --Phones from Sony Ericsson, Nseries Phones from Nokia, --Nintendo's Wii (with the Photo Channel 1.1 update --installed for Wii consoles purchased before late 2007), --the Nintendo DSi, and the MPEG-4 video standard.

--Quote:
--Here's the thing--I really want an iPod because the --hardware is genius, but I just can't support that --tomofoolery. Same with iPhone.
--Fair enough. Everyone should go to the beat of their own --drummer. I just got the impression that you were blaming --Apple for something that the music labels are requiring.

It's the proprietarianism that gets me the most. You pay too much for too little and you can only really have their stuff in the way they want you to have it.

By the way, have the iPhones fixed the deal where you can only upload music by syncing an iTunes playlist?

Also, can I upload my own ringtones?

You seem very knowledable in this field, so I will pose these questions to you.