PDA

View Full Version : Are recruit skills saved before you actually finish the recruiting quest?

Corvus Corax
09-29-2007, 12:30 AM
Last night a L18 priest-recruit shows up in the village square. So I checked her skills and she had "hardening." My L23 npc priest doesn't have "hardening," so I thought I'll just replace my L23 with this L18 (and then level her up a bit). So I complete the recruiting quest, but then it's so late I decide to quit for the night.....before I actually went to the L18 and clicked "solved." Today when I started up, I kicked the L23 (after backing up chars ;) ) and proceeded to recruit the L18. Whoops! Only now she doesn't have "hardening," but "true aim" instead.

Question: Does the game save the state of a recruit (including skill set) before he/she's officially added to your covenant?

Shadow
09-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Well they are supposed to be saved. I'll look at it.

Corvus Corax
10-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Just a follow-up: It looks like the status of npc-recruits is not saved before you actually click "solved" and make them part of your covenant.

Last night I completed a quest for priest-recruit, who definitely did not have "hardiness" (a buff I'd actively been seeking in a priest-recruit). After finishing the quest, I exited and saved (but didn't leave the game), then I resume the game, click "solved," and now the priest had L6 "hardiness" (lucky me!). I wished I'd checked the other powers to see if there were other changes, but, unfortunately, I didn't.

Of course, nothing is perfect. My new priest also has L3 "shield of fire," which she insists on casting most of the time....instead of the desired L6 "hardiness." This irritated me so much that I thought about hexing "shield of fire" to "fire protection" in the .chr file.

ADDENDUM: So while playing a few mins ago, I come upon a L24 priest in Red Death who also has L6 "hardiness," but without the mutually-exclusive "shield of fire." I quickly picked her up to replace my priest. One thing I like about this game is that, if you keep playing long enough, all problems are presented with solutions.

AnalogKid
10-03-2007, 12:54 AM
Just a follow-up: It looks like the status of npc-recruits is not saved before you actually click "solved" and make them part of your covenant.
Yep. I also was able to use this "feature" to wrangle myself a useful hardiness replacement for my incredibly annoying fire shield priest. Skills are definitely not saved until you solve the recruiting quest.

Corvus Corax
10-03-2007, 02:12 AM
Yeah, I tried that with the L18 that I mentioned in the OP, but couldn't get "hardiness" to come up. It seems like sort of a rare power.

iphigenie
01-17-2008, 04:29 AM
I'm still new at this game but this is one of the biggest hassles I have with the game, this random change of recruit skills. Especially for the ones which you recruit via a quest, you
have to kick someone out of your covenant and recruit them just to *see* what skills they have, since there seems to be no way to view the skills once there is a quest to complete, the completion window comes up and nothing else. And more often than not I end up with someone worse than the person i kicked.

Actually I dont understand why it frustrates me so much, but it does. I guess it's the "have to kick someone just to see in case the new guy has a good spec" effect, since I cannot see their skills without recruiting them. It just feels wrong. I want to be able to see the final skills and decide prior to completion.

ShaggyMoose
01-17-2008, 08:16 AM
That's strange. I don't recall this happening to me. I usually only go out of my way to hire recruits with great skills or buffs and I don't think any of them changed once I recruited them. I think you used to be able to quit and load again to change the skills but Shadow fixed that.

Delve
01-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Yeah, that was fixed in a version prior to 1.006 I think.

Shadow
01-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Yeah, in the later versions it saves the recruits skills correctly. Also you should always be able to check out the recruits equipment and skills before you let them enjoy your covenant. I guess that is hidden a bit though. When you talk to the recruit, choose the display equipment option and you should see everything that is important.

iphigenie
01-19-2008, 01:15 PM
I-ll try with the latest version

I have no problems checking the skills of a wandering recruit, but the ones in town with a recruiting quest, I have not been able to. I mean I can originally but after I have gone to the zone and completed the quest, then the recruit has the solved quest icon and as soon as I get in touch I get a "resolve quest" window open with the option to complete or not, but no other options.

I have been ignoring these for the most part lately as it was winding me up so I'll check and report back

Shadow
01-22-2008, 11:50 AM
Ok, in that case you are correct. Once you have solved the recruit quest there isn't a way to check the recruit's stats.

What I do is I check the stats pretty carefully before I take the quest. If I want the recruit, I'll take the quest. If I don't want the recruit, I won't take the quest at all. So for the most part when I finish the quest I already know if I want the recruit or not.

iphigenie
01-31-2008, 08:38 PM
That will work if now the stats stay fixed throughout. When it wasnt, it made it all feel like a lottery :eek:

laclongquan
02-01-2008, 01:58 AM
Too many times when I was satisfied with the recruit, took the quest, had some problems or another and had to restart, then turn back to get the recruit... His/her stat changed. Damnit! I do wish they left the recruit equipment check button behind. Or they save recruit stat when we take the quest.