PDA

View Full Version : Kivi networking update 5

Shadow
03-31-2009, 01:43 PM
I've been able to get a lot more done on the networking lately.

The client and server are much smarter about their current state. If they wait too long for a response now they will resend the message. They will also ignore messages they get from the wrong server or they are not expecting. Both of them will also drop a connection if they don't hear anything from the other side for too long.

The game now does some more advanced stuff like fragmenting large messages and encrypts the messages slightly.

The game itself has also gotten some attention. There is now some movement smoothing/interpolation (this also makes single player look better). Above other players you now see their health bar, their mana bar, and their name. Other players also show up on the minimap and the world map.

There is now even more sharing that goes on. I mentioned a while back that players share score since Kivi is designed to be co-op. Well now keys, secrets, and super secrets are also shared. There is no reason to have people fight over who finds the secrets and having someone leave the game with the only red key would cause slight issues.

Right now I only have a few small issues left, a bunch of playtesting to do, and I need to find a solution for a master server (I'm talking to a couple people for this though).

One of the remaining issues is what do I do about limited lives? I'm not sure the idea works in multiplayer. A client that runs out of lives can just exit and come back in again (which is just a nuisance), but the server can't without taking down the entire game with him. Right now I'm just leaning towards infinite lives but you still lose the end of adventure bonus if you die. Anyone have any thoughts?

icekrystal10
03-31-2009, 09:24 PM
Sounds good! I have some questions. If there is a master server, will players connect to that server and then join/create a game? Or will players be able to connect directly via IP?

Will powerups be shared?

Regarding lives, I think there should be a penalty for dying (such as losing score, losing your powerups, etc), otherwise people will play recklessly. If I had infinite lives part of the challenge would be gone. Other options I am open to include the game ending once a player has died a certain amount of times, or the remaining player can choose to resurrect the dead player in exchange for his own remaining lives (at least 1 life would be needed in this case), or taking a score deduction to resurrect the dead player.

Shadow
04-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Sounds good! I have some questions. If there is a master server, will players connect to that server and then join/create a game? Or will players be able to connect directly via IP?

You can connect to local servers on your LAN or connect through direct IP already. I hope to add a master server as an additional option.

Will powerups be shared?

They are not shared currently.

Regarding lives, I think there should be a penalty for dying (such as losing score, losing your powerups, etc), otherwise people will play recklessly. If I had infinite lives part of the challenge would be gone. Other options I am open to include the game ending once a player has died a certain amount of times, or the remaining player can choose to resurrect the dead player in exchange for his own remaining lives (at least 1 life would be needed in this case), or taking a score deduction to resurrect the dead player.

You do still lose your bonus score at the end of the adventure so there is a penalty.