PDA

View Full Version : How Does Itemisation Work?

Asmodean
09-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Just a quick question - I noticed that as I go into higher and higher level zones, the quality of items dropped doesn't seem to increase all that much. E.g., I'm getting the same kind of green mail gear in a Level 7 zone as I did in a Level 2 one.

So, I was just curious how itemisation works and how one goes about getting gear upgrades (other covenants seem to have the same stuff as me).

All the best,
Asmo

Shadow
09-30-2007, 01:54 PM
The average level of the item drops does go up, but so does the item level range for a little while. So for the first many levels you can still see level 1 items.

The best place for item drops is the toughest zone you can get to in general, although caves and dungeons are a bit better. Also look for better chests (bronze, silver, gold) and tougher monsters (champion, elite, unique, legendary, or boss) to get better drops.

Asmodean
09-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Steve,

Thanks a lot for your feedback - I think I'm gonna make me an easy game with low-level Covenants just so I can go and do some dungeon running for gear.

All the best,
George

Asmodean
09-30-2007, 08:28 PM
For my modding pleasure, how would I go about reducing the item level range?

Shadow
09-30-2007, 11:04 PM
To change the range you would change MinItemDropLevelSpread and MaxItemDropLevelSpread in Database/systems.gdb. Basically at level 0 it uses min spread, at level 75 it uses max spread, and for other levels it uses something inbetween max and max.

Asmodean
10-01-2007, 07:08 PM
So, to clarify, if I wanted mobs not to drop items below their level and only drop items equal to or above their level, what changes would I need to make?

Sorry if I'm being a nag, but I just love it how easily moddable this game is!

Shadow
10-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Basically, in that case, you want to change MinItemDropLevelSpread and MaxItemDropLevelSpread to 0 and change ItemDropAboveBaseLevel to whatever you want. It just depends on how you want it to behave exactly. Changing the min/max spread to 0 will make it so lower level items won't drop at all. If you change the other variable to higher than it currently is, item drops will have a higher chance of being above the level.

Asmodean
10-01-2007, 08:28 PM
So with a setting of 0-0 and AboveLevel value unchanged, mobs Level 13 mobs will no longer drop Level 5 items? Fantastic!

Let me just say once again that I really appreciate all the support you're giving me so far.

By the way, off-topic, but in terms of promotion - have you tried submitting a PRWeb press release? It only costs $80, but, if written correctly, it can generate a lot of publicity and press enquiries.

I dabble a little bit in Internet marketer, and, although I don't exactly do miracles, I might be able to help out a bit with advice, or at least direct you to a few places where professional Internet marketers hang out. Those guys make a fortune selling e-books for $27 a pop, so it's not entirely dissimilar to your price range.

Shoot me a PM if you want to know more details ;)

EDIT: Any such advice I offer is free of charge, of course - I just really want this game to succeed, 'tis all.

Shadow
10-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Well there is another part of how the spawning works, but you really don't want to change it or you will start getting less items spawned. So you will probably still get some lower level items spawned, but not nearly as many.

For the PR stuff, we haven't gone through a service like PRWeb, but we have sent out a bunch of press releases to a fairly large group of mostly gaming websites.

curiousity
01-16-2008, 04:54 AM
Sorry for the question, but what program are you using to open and edit that file?

(name here)
01-16-2008, 08:27 AM
Well there is another part of how the spawning works, but you really don't want to change it or you will start getting less items spawned. So you will probably still get some lower level items spawned, but not nearly as many.

For the PR stuff, we haven't gone through a service like PRWeb, but we have sent out a bunch of press releases to a fairly large group of mostly gaming websites.

Like rampant coyote, which led to my purchase and my fascination with how two simple things produce a whole new gaming experience?

ShaggyMoose
01-16-2008, 09:07 AM
I actually heard about the game on BluesNews. Can't remember what made me follow it up, but usually just the mention of an indie developer will do the trick.

Shadow
01-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Sorry for the question, but what program are you using to open and edit that file?

To open the gdb files, you need to unzip assets001.zip first. Once you have done that, the gdb files are just simple text files, so they can be opened with your favorite text editor.

Shadow
01-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Both Rampant Coyote and Blues are on my list.

curiousity
01-17-2008, 03:14 AM
disregard. I answered my own question.

Thanks for the help again Shadow.