PDA

View Full Version : Interactive objects

Shadow
06-22-2009, 01:49 PM
In the dungeon crawl, I want to have more interaction with objects in the world. Depths of Peril has traps, doors, chests, torches, and probably a few other things. Kivi's Underworld added more types of traps, levers/buttons, and barrels. All of these things will probably be in the dungeon crawl, but I want more things.

It's my goal for there to be lots of things for the player to interact with on purpose, some things that can happen on accident if you aren't careful, things that change your strategy, some things that you have to choose which is the best action, and even some things the monsters can interact with. I'll give an example of each of these to show what I mean.

Doors, levers, and chests are conscience choices by the player to interact with (usually).

The player might blow up a barrel on accident if his cast fireball explodes too close to it.

The player might notice the barrel with explosive substances right between a group of monsters and instead of hitting the monsters with the fireball he might blow up the barrel and hurt all of the monsters.

I'm planning on some doors being locked, but the player will have some choices, don't bother with the door, find a key, or bash down the door and make a lot of noise.

Maybe some monsters will know how to use fountains or doors.

Anyway, these are just examples to get your thoughts going, I have a much longer list of things I'm already planning and probably more interesting than my few examples. What kind of interactive objects would you like to see in an action RPG that's primarily underground?

SharpCarlos
06-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Interactive objects to spice up a dungeon:

1) Moveable crates or such, that could be used to create barricades or block a door shut. But, this might introduce too much interface complexity to a fast paced hack-and-slash game.

2) Support beams, which would cause a cave-in (blocking off that corridor) if enough damage is done to them (intentionally or accidentally).

3) Shrines, which grant temporary boons (Diablo II style).

4) Mushrooms which release a cloud of spores when disturbed. This could cause status effect (positive OR negative) to the player or to monsters.

5) Mine cars. These could either be a hazard (don't be standing on the track when they come whizzing by), or a non-magical way to teleport to another part of the level.

6) Ice (or mud) "slides". These would also sort of act as one way teleporters, but could be turned into corridors if interacted with (use fireballs to melt the ice).

7) Vines to chop through (or spider webs!).

8) Monster eggs, which hatch if disturbed. These could either be weak monsters (making the eggs a source of bonus experience) or terribly powerful monsters (making the eggs a hazard to be avoided). Or, terribly powerful "predator" monsters which leave the player alone but attack OTHER monsters in the dungeon. Different sorts of monster "nests" could serve these same functions.

9) Water, lava, etc. that you and most monsters can't cross, but that flying monsters could. That "uncrossable" status could be changed by spells or whatever.

10) What about other forms of wildlife in the dungeon? Like, weak "critters" which grant no experience and drop no loot, but DO interact with the game world in different ways? Like, you could herd them to use them as monster bait, or maybe they shriek when killed, and the shriek would scare some monsters off (or attract others). Or, if you poison them (by killing them with a spell or weapon that does poison damage), they could in turn poison other monsters that eat them.

ShaggyMoose
06-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Some nice ideas there from SharpCarlos.

Maybe lighting levels could affect monster activity/actions. This would add a tactical aspect as to how well lit you want your party to be at some stages...
Interactions between electrical spells and areas of water.
Gas AOE spells or natural occurances that have different effects. They could even be flamable!
Pickaxe for mining. Maybe this would give you access to gold/jewels at the risk of accidently digging into a nest of some type...

Shadow
06-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Very cool ideas guys.

1) Moveable crates or such, that could be used to create barricades or block a door shut. But, this might introduce too much interface complexity to a fast paced hack-and-slash game.

I've thought about this and have some of the same hesitations.

2) Support beams, which would cause a cave-in (blocking off that corridor) if enough damage is done to them (intentionally or accidentally).

I didn't think of support beams for some reason, but I have a bunch of ideas along these lines. Casting an earthquake spell might should be very interesting in this game. :)

3) Shrines, which grant temporary boons (Diablo II style).

We will probably do something like this. I'm still figuring out if we should go the powerup route like Kivi or the shrine route like Diablo. Right now I'm leaning towards the shrine way (forces players to use it them, can store hundreds of powerups, etc.)

4) Mushrooms which release a cloud of spores when disturbed. This could cause status effect (positive OR negative) to the player or to monsters.

I've thought of similar things, but a field of mushrooms that will release a poison gas if destroyed would be an interesting obstacle.

5) Mine cars. These could either be a hazard (don't be standing on the track when they come whizzing by), or a non-magical way to teleport to another part of the level.

6) Ice (or mud) "slides". These would also sort of act as one way teleporters, but could be turned into corridors if interacted with (use fireballs to melt the ice).

9) Water, lava, etc. that you and most monsters can't cross, but that flying monsters could. That "uncrossable" status could be changed by spells or whatever.

These would be interesting, but might be a bit difficult to do.

7) Vines to chop through (or spider webs!).

8) Monster eggs, which hatch if disturbed. These could either be weak monsters (making the eggs a source of bonus experience) or terribly powerful monsters (making the eggs a hazard to be avoided). Or, terribly powerful "predator" monsters which leave the player alone but attack OTHER monsters in the dungeon. Different sorts of monster "nests" could serve these same functions.

10) What about other forms of wildlife in the dungeon? Like, weak "critters" which grant no experience and drop no loot, but DO interact with the game world in different ways? Like, you could herd them to use them as monster bait, or maybe they shriek when killed, and the shriek would scare some monsters off (or attract others). Or, if you poison them (by killing them with a spell or weapon that does poison damage), they could in turn poison other monsters that eat them.

These would be cool.

Maybe lighting levels could affect monster activity/actions. This would add a tactical aspect as to how well lit you want your party to be at some stages...

I've planning on something along these lines. I haven't decided which monsters would make sense to change their behavior with more or less light though and what will change.

Interactions between electrical spells and areas of water.

If we have water anywhere I'll have to do something like this.

Gas AOE spells or natural occurances that have different effects. They could even be flamable!

I do have some plans along these lines also.

Pickaxe for mining. Maybe this would give you access to gold/jewels at the risk of accidently digging into a nest of some type...

This sounds interesting. I'm not sure how to do it without the players constantly destroying the entire level and keeping it looking decent.

ShaggyMoose
06-23-2009, 01:42 PM
This sounds interesting. I'm not sure how to do it without the players constantly destroying the entire level and keeping it looking decent.
I guess I was thinking more of a static location rather than actually digging out the level. Basically a "Dig here?" prompt at some specific locations that will either net you riches or get you instantly surrounded by some rather annoyed wildlife...

Shadow
06-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Oh, it could be more of a you can see a gold vein and you can go over and mine it for some random amount of gold, but it can either release a monster or just cause a lot of noise. That could be interesting. Similar to the choice of bashing open a door.

Coreyh2
06-23-2009, 05:45 PM
The game Baroque has switches that would change the creatures you'd have to fight on future levels. Depending on what equipment you had already found you could decide what enemies you'd have to deal with later on. They also changed the tileset used. I'm not sure if It would work with persistant equipment.

ShaggyMoose
06-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Oh, it could be more of a you can see a gold vein and you can go over and mine it for some random amount of gold, but it can either release a monster or just cause a lot of noise. That could be interesting. Similar to the choice of bashing open a door.
That's what I had in mind.

icekrystal10
07-03-2009, 01:27 AM
all the ideas so far sound great. here is what i would like to see:
- doors that can be locked, unlocked, or that can be smashed open
- barrels to smash
- treasure chests to open
- barrels or chests that are trapped
- levers that open doors like in kivi
- shrines that either drop a power up or give a stat boost
- healing or mana shrines

Shadow
07-03-2009, 11:38 AM
- doors that can be locked, unlocked, or that can be smashed open
- barrels to smash
- treasure chests to open
- barrels or chests that are trapped
- levers that open doors like in kivi
- shrines that either drop a power up or give a stat boost
- healing or mana shrines

I think we will have all of these, some might be named differently though.

FloodSpectre
07-04-2009, 04:50 PM

I definitely like this idea, and for some stylistic variety you could have gem veins or veins of other valuable metals as well. I'm especially fond of the "alerting monsters" aspect of this (and other possible activities). A sort of anti-stealth :)

Blizzard
11-05-2009, 03:20 PM
if you see group of monsters, you could take one monster attention with throwing him with rock or something? then you wouldnt need to attack whole group same time.

gussak
11-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Controlling traps:
You find a treasure chest, or any other trap on the map. You deal with the trap preventing its activation, but if you are good enough you are also granted access to being able to activate it, even from a bit far (just think about a string, or shooting a arrow in the exact spot). You could use traps against mobs luring them near it!

The ability to create traps:
- Digging a hole in the floor and covering it, trapping/hindering movement and hurting mobs (a mob with crippled leg would move much slower).
- charging a brick in the wall with magical energy, adding a rune of awareness to the brick, would make it explodes when mobs get near. This could also be a way of digging/destroying walls, a "mage way" xD.
- throwing a net at mobs could hinder them, so you could deal with less mobs at a time as each one is able to release itself.

Adding to what Blizzard said, Deceiving mobs:
What about throwing a coin (yep one of our "real" game money), so dumb goblins would move away for it, but the clever dark elf would move in the exact other-direction. So you being even clever would move away from your original position and let the mobs disperse to reach the treasure chest :).

Puzzle floor:
Adding to the usage of a key or a trigger to grant access to rooms/corridors/chests, we could have alternatively a puzzle in the floor. Solving it would grant you a intelligence bonus. But puzzles shall not be required to advance in the map, the worst thing is when we say "oh no! not another puzzle! not again! :(" heh xD, I am not a great puzzle fun, but sometimes I like to play with them :), and if the puzzle is too hard I just blow up the door! xD.

Mini-games:
As an alternative to have access to places, we could be allowed to challenge the gate-keeper with board-games like: chess, checkers, backgammon etc... (bonus to intelligence); or even a dexterity or strength challenge like knife throwing or arm wrestling, or something else...; anyway you can always fight to defeat the gate keeper, or blow up the gate heh xD.

I think these "slower" alternative activities, adds to the RPG feeling of the game.

I've planning on something along these lines. I haven't decided which monsters would make sense to change their behavior with more or less light though and what will change.
May be not to light up a torch, but what about to turn of lights of a patrolled area? if you do it with some kind of ice spell, the torch would be prevented to be relight for 1 minute for example. That coping with infra-vision, would provide a great stealth element. Mobs would have to follow fight sounds, and if you move away they loose you. A weak rogue that can deal with big orcs, would have some trouble to implement this combat tactics in the battle field, but would be fun :), and he should deal first with other mobs that also have infra-vision heh.

About mining with pick-axe
Mmm, this is a point all thoughts about voxels are also concerned about.
- One idea would be the walls could regrow, weird but if the story that explains the regrowth of walls is good enough, it wont look weird :). May be small imps could rebuild the wall, and they flee as soon you see them xD.
- Another idea is that the walls that can be destroyed would be pre-setup, so these would provide access to rooms, other than the door; to near corridors giving an alternate path etc. The code-trick to determine what wall spots are useful to be allowed to be broken, would be proximity to doors, and proximity of corridors (something like that); all this to cope with the random generation; these spots could optionally highlight also when pick-axe is equipped.
- also to hinder excessive destruction, pick-axes could have different qualities, like a iron one can break a brick wall, but you would need a steel one to break a rock wall, uh... much harder breaks weaker, u got the idea :).
- these all would be related to player character strength, the stronger and the more quality the pick axe have, the faster the wall would break.
- pick-axes can break also, hindering it useless (what about item/weapon repairment? a hard foe with almost broken plate chest wont be big deal heh).
- to break a wall could make the ceiling fall over also
- these all together would hinder the player from messing too much with the map I think, you will mine if that seems a good alternative.
After all, to destroy a wall should be something tactical and also fun in the sense it can also be dangerous.

DeathKnight1728
11-07-2009, 09:42 PM
I think those are some solid ideas, Gussak :cool:

-Being able to create traps would be awesome. Think like Baldurs Gate 2: The Bounty Hunter. It would be sick. The only catch is that there would have to be a limit to how many you can have set at a certain time. If there was no limit then that would be almost completely unfair. I think a limit of 3 per area would be good.

-There could be an entangle trap that entangles the enemy with vines so they stay put and at the same time it reduces their attack speed.

-A cold nova trap would be ideal for dealing with large mobs of enemies. This would fit the bill really good as well. Because traps aren't supposed to kill your enemies; they are supposed to aid you in disabling them.

-It would also be cool if there was a leech trap that works like a necromantic trap in a way. After it goes off it not only takes away some health from the monsters or enemies; it also gives the health taken to the player character. This would be good if you are low on health and manage to run away from the enemies.

That would be cool if there was a class in the game that had those trap making abilities. I know I'd definitely play as that class! :)

Shadow
11-09-2009, 09:38 AM
There is a class that can drop traps.

O'Jorvic
12-04-2009, 07:02 AM
toys and decoys: something almost like a trip might work like this:

you drop an item (like food) - a monster that was about to attack will be distracted for a second so you get a free attack on the monster. the trick could be: you need to know a lot about monsters, their nature and what will distract them.

money - humanoids
shiney stuff, food - animals, etc.

Shadow
12-04-2009, 10:21 AM
The ranger has a lure skill.

Dlover
01-08-2010, 02:43 AM
I think the lighting would work well, and if someone or something casts a spell, such as fireball, or lightning, it would generate a small field of light, temporarily.
That, added to charge time for the spell, would give monsters an idea where the player is, so they can try to attack before they finish the spell.

Someone mentioned freezing torches so they can't be lit. Would that mean players can re-light them when they think it's safe? That could take a strain off the eyes.

Shadow
01-08-2010, 10:43 AM
The player can relight torches that have gone out.

Dlover
01-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Would it be hard to make a script to generate a field of light around a fireball or lightning bolt? I have no scripting experience, so I thought I'd ask.

Shadow
01-08-2010, 08:12 PM
There's no scripting really. Many projectiles like fireballs do cast light in the world.

Dlover
01-08-2010, 08:58 PM
oh. I thought it would a bit more difficult to do than... nothing.