PDA

View Full Version : World modifiers

Shadow
07-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Yesterday I added another system that should make all of the random stuff a little more interesting. It's the World Modifiers system. Each world has some random world modifiers that gives that world a bit of extra flavor and gives it a different style from other worlds. A modifier basically changes the world from normal in some specific way and usually to some extreme.

A simple example is a high intensity modifier that increases the quest and event generation. This means more unique monsters running around, more monster uprisings, more earthquakes, and many other things going on more often.

Another example that I want to add is a horror modifier. This will probably have more dead bodies laying around, be darker, have more undead, and the monsters will likely make more noise. I'm hoping this will feel pretty different than normal.

If I can make it so it's not abused, there might even be a high treasure modifier.

The neat thing about the modifiers is that there is a random set of them each world. Hopefully we will have a ton of these so that not only will you not see any specific modifier very often, you might never see the same combination of modifiers ever again. I'm also planning on there being a level requirement from a lot of them so as you increase in level you see more and more different modifiers.

Do you guys have any specific world modifier ideas or comments?

torikamal
07-07-2009, 11:25 PM
I think that is a great idea. Even just terrain stuff would be cool to add to that to, like, "Boy, there sure are a lot of mushrooms in this world." or "Stalactite heaven!"

SharpCarlos
07-08-2009, 02:06 PM
That sounds really cool, and I especially want to single out the idea that some modifiers have level requirements. I like the thought that as I advance in the game, I'm increasing the chances of seeing something I've never seen before.

And I hope some of the mods are extremely rare. I know that's painful from a developer/programmer point of view (you hate to put time and effort into something that only a fraction of dedicated players will experience), but I would love to, even after I've put a lot of time in, still once in a blue moon see something new.

torikamal
07-08-2009, 02:30 PM
I think that rare stuff could be especially effective if it gets implemented in patch updates. That way, if you want to get a robust game out, but you really want some small details in, you can get the game out and keep adding gameplay with patch updates.

Very few games do this effectively, because their updates tend to just be balancing tweaks and bugs (which are all extremely important), but this would make sense even from a storyline perspective, because some of the really high level rare world mods wouldn't be seen anyway until someone has really progressed far into the game. Plus, it would be a reason to go back if you've played really hardcore for a while, took a break, saw new content in a patch and jump back in.

Shadow
07-08-2009, 03:37 PM
And I hope some of the mods are extremely rare. I know that's painful from a developer/programmer point of view (you hate to put time and effort into something that only a fraction of dedicated players will experience), but I would love to, even after I've put a lot of time in, still once in a blue moon see something new.

They do have different spawn chances, so different modifiers are more rare than others.

SharpCarlos
07-08-2009, 10:17 PM
And now, the obligatory list of world modifier ideas. Actually, I think a lot of these don't really capture the spirit of what you're trying to do, and others would work better as "level modifiers" to give variety within a world, but would be tedious or annoying if a WHOLE adventure used them. But, anyway:

1) Different gimmicky level layout algorithms (bigger/smaller rooms, longer tunnels, more maze-like).

2) Chaos (increased chances of monsters fighting each other).

3) Mana storm (magic is stronger or weaker than normal, for both the player and monsters).

4) Acid rain (items all gradually lose durability, or maybe items spawn with lower than normal durability).

5) Thin air (player loses stamina faster / gains it slower).

6) Fewer item drops but more gold (or the opposite).

7) The “dungeon” is actually a tower that you ascend. This doesn't really affect gameplay any, and would just be for flavor, but I imagine all it would require would be different quest text and different graphics for the entrance.

8) Headquarters (lots of bosses and really weak cannon fodder, but no in-between “average” monsters).

9) Zoo (only non-humanoid monsters).

10) Prison (only humanoid monsters).

11) Trickster’s realm (more locked doors and traps).

12) Under construction (tunnels that lead nowhere, empty treasure chests, doors that open onto flat walls, higher chance of cave-ins).

Those last few might actually have some merit.

icekrystal10
07-08-2009, 11:01 PM
This concept sounds great! I love the ideas all of you have suggested so far.

Shadow
07-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Lots of good ideas there SharpCarlos.

Boaal
10-03-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm utterly impressed by the amount of detail and depth you guys are putting into this game. Sounds brilliant.

getter77
10-03-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm utterly impressed by the amount of detail and depth you guys are putting into this game. Sounds brilliant.

Likewise. This seems to have so much going for it across the board. Easily one of my most anticipated titles for these next months to come.

ShaggyMoose
10-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Elemental modifiers that make some skills more useful than others, or cause them to interact with the world in new ways.

- A world where fire barely occurs, or another world in which it works a little too well...
- Poison is more effective, but can cause some monters to go on an insane rampage with incredible strength before they expire.
- Unstable worlds where quake spells can be extremely dangerous to use...

I'm also planning on there being a level requirement from a lot of them so as you increase in level you see more and more different modifiers.
This is a great idea that will help keep the game fresh and increase the complexity later on when players know the ropes.

Mivo
10-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Those are brilliant ideas. I've always been a huge fan of dynamically created worlds, or at least randomly generated dungeons, and there are so few games that make use of this. The world modifiers take this even further, and I'm quite excited about this.

Will the player have some choices here? I.e. picking a "low magic" world, or will it be completely "random" and "under the hat"?

Shadow
10-05-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm not sure yet. Right now the player has no choice. I've thought about letting the player choose different settings, but there are some that they would never choose and some they would choose every time.

getter77
10-05-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm not sure yet. Right now the player has no choice. I've thought about letting the player choose different settings, but there are some that they would never choose and some they would choose every time.

What about having it to where, initially, there is no choice. However, upon clearing the game with whatever random assortment(possibly a general selection of some of them), you'd unlock another options menu where you could then select those particular attributes again outright. The point being, as you achieve success with each subsequent, random given assortment, said features get added to the accessible options list upon each clear.

This would also surely help people to try and take another class thru the same general "world" they beat once before without having to suffer a tremendous amount of world restarts until that specific featureset cropped up again. Ditto for experimenting and testing. If nothing else, it'd be one of the more robust/useful "Achievements" systems out there since such things are popular nowadays.

Cadfan
10-06-2009, 12:14 AM
It would be neat if some worlds had unique quests or items that matched the theme of the world. Like maybe a weapon that combines traits that match that world's keywords, available upon beating the world.

Not that I really know how or why there are multiple worlds. For reasons like in DoP?

Shadow
10-06-2009, 11:30 AM
What about having it to where, initially, there is no choice. However, upon clearing the game with whatever random assortment(possibly a general selection of some of them), you'd unlock another options menu where you could then select those particular attributes again outright. The point being, as you achieve success with each subsequent, random given assortment, said features get added to the accessible options list upon each clear.

I have thought of doing something like this. I'm just not sure yet. At the least I would not give you the choice on some of them (like a high treasure modifier).

Not that I really know how or why there are multiple worlds. For reasons like in DoP?

Each town is essentially a different world, similar to DoP.

ShaggyMoose
10-07-2009, 12:18 AM
I've thought about letting the player choose different settings, but there are some that they would never choose and some they would choose every time.
What about if you used a points balance system? Each world randomly rolls some modifiers. You can modify these traits, but it costs "points" to nullify traits or to add a new trait. Traits that are perceived as negative or positive costs more points to nullify/add respectively. More nuetral traits could be cheaper to nullify, while adding a negative trait could win you points. You could have a maximum number of changes permitted per world and any points accrued by adding negative traits could carry on to the next world, giving you more options next time. The traits available for selection each world should be a random subset of all available traits. In this way, there is still an element of randomness, but it adds a layer of strategy that maybe you can alter a world to suit your play style or character.

Shadow
10-07-2009, 05:39 PM
That would be pretty cool.

Brom
12-18-2009, 03:37 PM
1) A modifier for equipment drops, a high rate for artifact equipment, a low rate for potions, etc.

2) Weather, though I understand most maps will be indoors, who is to say that a storm could not brew in a large cavern? Random lightning strikes would make things interesting, have the bolts hold for two seconds or so, which would make the player need to dodge around them.

Shadow
12-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Except for the potions one we have all of those. It can rain and storm up in the town. I really like our lightning strikes. They can't hurt you right now though.

torikamal
12-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Perhaps kind of like the Darkness Machine, there could be a lightning strike machine that the monsters could build that could render the lightning strikes damaging, making town visits dangerous, as well as possibly eventually killing some of the townspeople if it goes unchecked?

Shadow
12-19-2009, 06:46 PM
If I changed lightning strikes to be dangerous that's what the weather machine would do.