PDA

View Full Version : Objects

Shadow
07-10-2009, 06:19 PM
So other than world modifiers, I've been working on objects a lot of the week. I've twittered a bit about these, but here's some of the objects I've added into the game this week:

Altars - heals your health, mana, and stamina, and identifies and repairs all of your items

Lifestones - same as DoP, regenerates your health and mana fairly quickly

Manastones - regenerates your mana fairly quickly

Healthstones - regenerates your health fairly quickly

Barrels - there are many types of these including normal, explosive, oil, poison gas, and alcohol. Sometimes you will be able to tell the difference between the barrels and sometimes you won't.

Torches - as usual it's a light source, but now you can destroy them (on purpose or accidently). The good news is you might get an item. The bad news is this will make the dungeon darker.

Doors - doors can now be locked and need a generic key or opened by a specific lever or switch. However you always have the option of bashing them down. Bashing causes a lot of noise and gives you a combat penalty for a few seconds though.

Chests - mostly the same as DoP, normal, silver, and gold. There is now unique chests though. A unique chest is named, has a ton of loot, and is always trapped.

Obelisks - obelisks give you a powerup for a period of time when touched. There are 10 types so far.

Gold veins - these can be mined for money, it is very noisy though and might attract attention.

Armor & weapon stands - spawns 1 armor piece or weapon.

Energy vortexes - a very dangerous and unstable energy field that tends to easily explode.

Levers/switches - these are almost always set to trigger something near by, it might help by opening the nearby door, it might trigger a trap, or it might trigger something else.

Ground traps - the usual, don't step on the traps

Spider webs - mostly an obstacle to destroy

Ice - ice can form on the ground from various things. It is slippery and makes you slower and adds penalties to combat (works on monsters also). Fire will melt the ice.

Pools of oil - also slippery (see ice) and can catch on fire

Pools of acid - will damage your items if you touch it and fire turns it into poison gas

Pools of alcohol - can catch on fire

Lanterns - light source that if destroyed will form a pool of oil

Lumen defensive totems - a friendly totem that have been setup by the lumen people. These will kill monsters with various magic spells.

So that's some of the objects that have put into the game so far. Most of these will randomly spawn in the world. Some of them are formed from other things like ice. What do you guys think? Any more fun object ideas?

SharpCarlos
07-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Wow. These just sound fantastic. I love how the interactivity and the "this can turn into that" chains open up so many gameplay possibilities. I'm imagining moments like seeing an energy vortex surrounded by explosive barrels, and then realizing that they're all in a pool of oil that I'M standing in as well, and I'm being attacked by the Fire Throwers from Kivi. Sure, the chance of all those things occurring at once in one spot is small, but that's what's so great. When it DOES happen, it will be special and unique, and not "That moment with all the fire at the beginning of the third level" that I've seen every time I re-played the game.

10 obelisks so far? Cool. I think temporary power-ups like that add a lot. You have the freedom to make them too powerful (double damage, etc.), while blancing it with the temporariness. Which can't possibly be a word.

I can see lots of ways these items could lead to specific world modifiers. Dramatically increase the chances of ice appearing, and you've got an "ice caves" mod. Increase the chances of spawning explosive barrels and pools of oil for a "pyromania" mod. If you happen to spawn BOTH those mods, then you've got a world where you'll definitely want to bring your raincoat.

A world with more than the usual numbers of obelisks, but tougher monsters, could be interesting. And a world with lots of defensive totems would play very differently than a normal world.

It really sounds like you're headed in a great direction, as far as creating a mix of elements that will keep gameplay interesting and surprising.

FloodSpectre
07-11-2009, 02:04 AM
If you include tomes like in DoP you could always have pedestals with a book on them, or bookshelves that spawn one or more random books for you.

Maybe a mutator object that works only once, but can change an item into something else, or perhaps change the magical effects on an item.

I could probably come up with more suggestions, but it's getting late and I need to sleep. ;)

torikamal
07-11-2009, 12:41 PM
All those objects sound extremely fantastic. I just want to get right in and start playing!

One thing that would be cool with the torch stuff is to have the ability to light or darken from afar. For example, you shoot a fireball (or fire arrow) at the torch and it lights up. Shoot some ice and it turns off. Perhaps a thief that is good at sneaking would choose to turn them off to increase the sneaking modifiers?

I actually always loved finding books in DoP, bringing them back and dropping them on the stand for a permanent bonus.

What would you think about giving the character a permanent house that is basically the same in all towns?

You really could use exactly the same setup as DoP for the bookstands--same lore even. In fact, this could be a great gold sink--since these are magical books, you'd have to pay for a new magic bookcase mod to store the new additional book (or something like that). Then, having the ability to customize your house would be really cool.

Also, You could display trophies in your house of the world bosses you've killed. That would be really neat actually.

SharpCarlos
07-11-2009, 07:50 PM
What would you think about giving the character a permanent house that is basically the same in all towns?

Ooh, yeah, that'd be cool. A game like this probably needs some sort of "stash" anyway (with at least part of it shared between characters? I hope?), and that could be in the house as well. To fit with the "travel from town to town" fiction, what if it were, like, a big horse-drawn carriage thing? Like those things traveling performers during medieval times took from town to town? Every adventure would start with you standing next to your persistent (upgradable?) carriage, on the outskirts of a new randomly generated town.

icekrystal10
07-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Wow, that is an excellent list. Can't wait to play this!

Shadow
07-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Wow. These just sound fantastic. I love how the interactivity and the "this can turn into that" chains open up so many gameplay possibilities. I'm imagining moments like seeing an energy vortex surrounded by explosive barrels, and then realizing that they're all in a pool of oil that I'M standing in as well, and I'm being attacked by the Fire Throwers from Kivi.

This is exactly the type of situations I'm hoping to create.

One thing that would be cool with the torch stuff is to have the ability to light or darken from afar. For example, you shoot a fireball (or fire arrow) at the torch and it lights up. Shoot some ice and it turns off.

It actually does work like this, but now that they can be destroyed you are more likely to destroy them than lighting them or putting them out.

I've been thinking about it. At the moment I'm leaning towards this being a DoP specific idea though. If/when we do a DoP 2, I think we would revamp the house quite a bit so that you could customize it more.

O'Jorvic
12-11-2009, 01:56 PM
would a non-decimal currency system be fun? perhaps it might feel more medieval/ancient to have a system like:

8 copper coins = 1 silver
12 silver = one gold, etc.?

will there be diamonds and other precious stones in din's?