PDA

View Full Version : Food Too Expensive?

Asmodean
10-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Hmm,

After getting my warrior to Level 18, I'm getting to reach the conclusion that food seems to be a little bit too expensive and too hard to come by.

Here's my reasoning - as a melee class, I take damage wherever I go (I'm wearing full plate). With food as expensive as it is and the drop for it so low, I often end up porting to town to heal at the lifestone once a minute or two, which is really annoying.

On the other hand, shopping for food is extremely expensive (I think it's 1s 70c at the moment for my level food, which really bites). In fact, it's come to the point where I only really use food for boss encounters where I need to boost life regen to take more damage before I'm forced to portal back to town to regen.

Does anyone else feel that food is a little bit overpriced/the drop rate is too low - or do I just need to l2p? :)

LDiCesare
10-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Food's indeed expensive but I don't think it's too much. Cheaper food would mean endlessly using food when playing fighters, which I think is not right.
Now, I actually think these games would be funnier without healing potions and such, so having to resort to food only when meeting bosses/tough monsters or mobs is actually good for me.

zultor
10-02-2007, 06:59 PM
What is your defense/armor?

I too think food is overpriced and try not to use it. To combat this I pay attention more to +defence and +armor items. I've noticed that I take a lot less damage now which is just as good in my book.

Shadow
10-02-2007, 07:00 PM
I'll let actual players respond about their opinions if food is too expensive, but you might want to verify that your food supply isn't poisoned. It doesn't sound like it is from the price, but it couldn't hurt to check.

In my experience of playing, food prices really depend on how tough of zones you are adventuring in. If you push too far out, food starts to get really expensive since you eat so much more of it. If you hang back a bit, you eat a lot less so it's not as big of a deal. Of course, this is ignoring where all of your current quests are and how you are doing compared to the other covenants.

Asmodean
10-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Ok, my stats are as follows:

Level 19 Amateur Warrior
Health: 362/362
Defence: 142 (72% Level 19 Monster will hit you)
Armor: 236 (On average, absorb 49.2% damage from a Level 19 Monster)

My quests mostly take me to areas with Level 18-20 monsters and the food supply isn't poisoned.

Could it be that I am underperforming stat-wise? Do let me know ;)

AnalogKid
10-03-2007, 01:24 AM
Level 19 Amateur Warrior
Health: 362/362
Defence: 142 (72% Level 19 Monster will hit you)
Armor: 236 (On average, absorb 49.2% damage from a Level 19 Monster)

Could it be that I am underperforming stat-wise? Do let me know ;)
Well, nothing can be said for sure, but I have a lvl21 warrior right now and I totally disagree with a previous poster about defense and armor. It's just not worth it, go for Vitality instead. My guy has 987 health (about 300 armor and about 200 defense) and I can basically just tank Elites/Champs/Plot Bosses and then go heal at the lifestone.

Armor saves 1 health per 27 pts. (on average) against physical attacks only. Vitality for warriors adds 5 health per point, useful against all attacks. So if I have the choice of (100 armor) or (10 armor and +10 Vit.) I go with the +10 Vit, assuming that 50 extra all-purpose health is worth more on average than about 4 pts. less damage per physical strike, especially if you consider all the monsters with spells and fire/ice/poison DoT.

Defense might be a good way to go (don't know the formulas yet), but warriors only get 3 def. per Dex and one item (shield) that adds defense naturally. So if you want to go that way, play a Rogue. Right now I do use a shield and have some shield mastery, and I think I have about a 60% chance of being hit by same-level monsters. But in the future I don't think I'll be able to keep my defense high enough to keep up with monsters' attack ratings.

Remember that the lifestone regen is a % per second, so if you have more health, you heal faster.

Also, let your NPC take some heat, he/she regenerates much faster than you. Sometimes just stop attacking and wait 'till the monster(s) build up hate at your NPC. Once they've attacked your NPC a few times, then plow back in and finish them off.

As for the original question of food being overpriced or not, I can't really help because I've never bought or used any. :(

Having said all that, my lvl 27 bolt mage is INCREDIBLY easier to play, able to take on monsters 5+ levels higher without ever receiving any damage at all thanks to long range attacks that do 900+ damage per spell (on a crit, which is about 1/2 the time). So maybe it's just a balance issue... (btw, even my mage has ~650 health, was about 500 health at around lvl 20.)

Asmodean
10-03-2007, 07:25 AM
You see, I know it's perfectly possible to go and heal at the lifestone every now and again; I just think that relatively higher food prices mean that you end up doing so way too often, which, in turn, kind of makes things a little bit annoying.

LDiCesare
10-03-2007, 09:22 AM
My level 31 warrior has a probability of being hit around 25% by same level monsters. That may explain why I don't complain much about food.
I didn't check armor, but I tend to stick to items with +health regen as much as I can, which also helps a lot. I'll try to check the exact stats and post them.

AnalogKid
10-03-2007, 02:02 PM
I just think that relatively higher food prices mean that you end up doing so way too often
I understand, and that's why I posted with some ideas about how you can not need healing as often (either via food or via lifestone). Well, that and you asked for a stat comparison and I noticed a huge difference in health between us.

I'm amazed at LDiCesare's defense, though. Truly impressive.

I also use life regen items and relics, but I don't have that much. Probably only 2-3 pts/sec total. They don't help with fights per-se, but they do help top me off while walking around between fights and opening chests and stuff. I notice a big difference when I'm in the field. Just another way to reduce your need for other forms of healing.

LDiCesare
10-03-2007, 06:01 PM
My stats are as follow (my fighter's a bit of a tank):
Level 31. Attack 1250 (96%) Def 785 (26%) Armor 692(91%) or 796(100%) if I use the right focus. DPS = 73.5 or 77 depending on focus. Health 589.
I use some shield mastery, a nice shield, sword mastery because it's an all in one weapon, and the best armor I could find, with all +Dexterity and +Health regen I can muster. My magic resists are between 9 and 44.
Most monsters aren't really a threat, except champions/elites and uniques, against whom food is mostly useless as I just get slaughtered in a few hits.

AnalogKid
10-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Most monsters aren't really a threat, except champions/elites and uniques, against whom food is mostly useless as I just get slaughtered in a few hits.
Ha! That's funny because I have decided that only champs/elites are worth worrying about. They're soooo much more difficult than normal monsters that I've totally given up any kind of area-effect or multiple-enemy ideas and concentrated completely on being able to deal with single mega-powerful enemies. It's another reason why I focus on health since armor is per swing and the champs/elites do like 10x more dmg than normal monsters, rendering it nearly useless. I wish there was some way to tell how useful defense is for champs/elites/monsters of higher level. I guess Steven will eventually get around to the hit chance formulas... hint, hint ;).

LD, how often to champs/elites seem to hit you, compared to the 26% for normal monsters?

LDiCesare
10-04-2007, 08:47 AM
It's very hard to say how often they hit, because of many factors:
-They are often higher level than I, which means most weaker mobs hit more than 26% anyway as they are often 3-4 levels higher.
-It varies a lot depending on the boss.
I've fought a dragon who would almost never hit but roast me 3/4th of my health when he did, then there was a slow zombie who hit for maybe 200 points but swung slowly and probably scored a hit once in 4 tries. He was actually one of the few bosses making food useful: I had time to run around him in circles and heal enough to withstand a hit before he would catch me. I'd hit him 3/4 times and he would hit once. I run around eating and come back. It's probably way more expensive than using a portal for the same thing, but I'm sure where the guy is when I'm healed.

Food might be more useful if it healed depending on your health rather than a fixed min/max (Diablo did that if I'm right)?

Shadow
10-04-2007, 11:16 AM
I'll try to do attack/defense for my next strategy post, AnalogKid.

I thought about doing food as a percent like Diablo's potions, but then the cost would become meaningless to higher level characters. So then you would just have the opposite issue.

kopema
10-05-2007, 01:23 AM
Priests seem to save WAY more money than any other characters. Was it planned that way?

AnalogKid
10-05-2007, 03:47 AM
Not exactly, it was just planned that Priests kick all ass and dominate every facet of the entire game. ;)

Shadow
10-05-2007, 10:36 AM
No it wasn't on purpose that priests make a lot of money. It just works out that way since they have easy access to free healing instead of paying for food and potions.

AnalogKid
10-05-2007, 02:40 PM
I notice that you didn't specifically refute my first answer...:D

Shadow
10-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Well we didn't plan to have priests overpowered either. :)