PDA

View Full Version : Damage formula

Shadow
10-02-2007, 06:54 PM
The damage formula is now posted in the strategy section (http://www.soldak.com/content/view/197/70/) of the website finally. If there are any questions, just ask.

AnalogKid
10-03-2007, 12:51 AM
If there are any questions, just ask.
My biggest questions have to do with skills that modify damage, namely crushing blow and critical hits.

I can guess how crushing blow affects damage: just pretend you rolled 'max' on the 1-4 and on the weapon dmg. Yay/nay?

But I don't have much feel at all for what crits do? Of course, I'd also LOVE to know what my actual chance of getting a crit is, but maybe that's a different question...

Also, what about skills/effects that do XX% of max damage (like thorns)? Is that after all modifiers have been included? Again, what about when a crit happens?

Finally, it seems as though my normal auto-attack happens on a specific timer, and that using bonus attacks (rage-fueled power strike, or casting a spell while in melee, as examples) doesn't affect the timing of my normal attacks. Is this true? Or does inserting a special attack/action delay my normal attack?

LDiCesare
10-03-2007, 09:28 AM
From the looks of it, special attacks come with their own timer but seem to reset the normal attack timer. I may be wrong of course. But it is almost certain that you can do a special attack immediately after a normal one.

Shadow
10-03-2007, 10:27 AM
My biggest questions have to do with skills that modify damage, namely crushing blow and critical hits.

I can guess how crushing blow affects damage: just pretend you rolled 'max' on the 1-4 and on the weapon dmg. Yay/nay?

But I don't have much feel at all for what crits do? Of course, I'd also LOVE to know what my actual chance of getting a crit is, but maybe that's a different question...

Crushing blow and critical hits work off the final min and max damage values. Crushing blow simply uses the max value instead of the random value and critical hit multiplies the final value by 2.

Also, what about skills/effects that do XX% of max damage (like thorns)? Is that after all modifiers have been included? Again, what about when a crit happens?

I believe things like thorns are also after all the other calculations.

Finally, it seems as though my normal auto-attack happens on a specific timer, and that using bonus attacks (rage-fueled power strike, or casting a spell while in melee, as examples) doesn't affect the timing of my normal attacks. Is this true? Or does inserting a special attack/action delay my normal attack?

Using a skill doesn't change the normal attack timing at all, so you are free to use your skills whenever it makes tactical sense.

AnalogKid
10-03-2007, 01:31 PM
CI believe things like thorns are also after all the other calculations.
Thanks, Steven, but I don't think I fully understand it yet. What about this example:

I do 100 dmg (min and max, just to simplify)

I crit. hit a monster with 50% thorns, so I do 200 dmg.

Do I take 50 or 100 dmg myself?

The reason I'm so worried about this is that I have a mage who can do FAR more damage than he can take, and I've been pumping INT for crits.

AnalogKid
10-03-2007, 02:18 PM
One other question about crits. I could swear that spell crits occasionally do more than x2 damage. Either that, or there's some other form of bonus damage happening that I don't know about. I have a mage with lvl 11 Arctic Blast and lvl 6 Cold Mastery. By my calcs:

(55-165)*1.45(mastery)*2(crit) = 159.5 - 478.5 dmg on a crit. But I commonly do 300-400 dmg on what seem to be normal hits, and I sometimes do 800-1000 dmg (haven't quite cracked 1000 yet, but have hit 900s). This happens often enough to not be just a cold-susceptible monster or other fluke, it feels like 30-50% of the time, although I haven't tested this in detail (my INT is ~250).

I previously assumed that some crits do x2 and others do x3, x4, or more, but now I'm not so sure. Any idea why I'm doing so much damage?

Shadow
10-04-2007, 11:31 AM
What about this example:

I do 100 dmg (min and max, just to simplify)

I crit. hit a monster with 50% thorns, so I do 200 dmg.

Do I take 50 or 100 dmg myself?

Actually in the case of thorns, neither. :) I thought of your situation and decided it wasn't quite fair. So thorns damage is actually based on the monsters damage numbers not yours. It might not make perfect sense this way, but this way thorns damage goes up with the strength of the monster, not the player.

Shadow
10-04-2007, 11:38 AM
One other question about crits. I could swear that spell crits occasionally do more than x2 damage. Either that, or there's some other form of bonus damage happening that I don't know about. I have a mage with lvl 11 Arctic Blast and lvl 6 Cold Mastery. By my calcs:

(55-165)*1.45(mastery)*2(crit) = 159.5 - 478.5 dmg on a crit. But I commonly do 300-400 dmg on what seem to be normal hits, and I sometimes do 800-1000 dmg (haven't quite cracked 1000 yet, but have hit 900s). This happens often enough to not be just a cold-susceptible monster or other fluke, it feels like 30-50% of the time, although I haven't tested this in detail (my INT is ~250).

I previously assumed that some crits do x2 and others do x3, x4, or more, but now I'm not so sure. Any idea why I'm doing so much damage?

Off hand all of that sounds reasonable. Magic attacks can get crushing blows also though, so that might be what is throwing off your calculations.

AnalogKid
10-04-2007, 02:25 PM
So thorns damage is actually based on the monsters damage numbers not yours.
That's very cool, I like it.

I still think I'm missing an extra x2 factor in the spell damage calc somewhere, but it seems to be in my favor so, oh well!