PDA

View Full Version : Problems starting up..Need Help!

DeathKnight1728
09-29-2009, 11:34 PM
Hi, I haven't played kivi's underworld in a long while. Mostly because it stopped working. I tried to play it again and now everytime i start the game up it comes up with this:

Critical Error-Failed display setup.

I've tried reading the manual but it is too technical for me. I'll admit that im not very computer savvy. If anyone can give me instructions on how to fix this, i would be very grateful; at this point though its really getting to be very annoying.

Kruztee
09-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Critical Error-Failed display setup.

You can reset your display settings back to the default by moving or deleting the user.cfg file out of your Kivi's Underworld\User folder. That will force the game to start up with the standard 1024x768 resolution and graphics options. Hopefully that will sort you out.

Shadow
09-30-2009, 01:00 PM
That error means the basic setting up of the graphics window failed for some reason. Some things you can try are update your graphics drivers, make sure you are using the latest game version, restart your computer, change the r_width and r_height variables in your user.cfg file to better resolutions, or change the game to run in a window by changing r_fullscreen to 0 in user.cfg.

DeathKnight1728
09-30-2009, 09:59 PM
I appreciate the advice, the only problem is that a new problem has come up. Now it's saying this:

Kivi's underworld.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Does anyone know what to make of this, keep in mind i changed the display to default.

Kruztee
10-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Firstly, I would recommend re-installing Kivi's Underworld from a backup setup file, and use the latest patch that you can download here. (http://www.soldak.com/files/patches/KiviPatch1002.exe) If you don't have a backup of your game's setup file, then Shadow may be able to help. He has been very helpful in the past to me personally when I had a similar problem. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Kivi's underworld.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

This is a rather generic Windows error message that could mean any number of things. I would suggest (as Shadow recommends above) to update your video card driver to the latest version as a second attempt at remedy. If you don't know how to do this, get a friend or family member who is confident with maintaining the PC to help. If you can identify the specific model of your display adaptor, I could step you through this process too, if you would like.

Hope this helps.

Delilah Rehm
10-01-2009, 10:03 AM
So many people have had problems that were fixed by updating video card or sound drivers. Seriously! It's crazy simple when that's it.

Anyway, I hope you figure it out. I know it sucks when I can't get my new game to work and Steven has to spend gobs of time fiddling on my machine. (cough, cough, Diablo II... cough, cough WOW... cough, cough, Sacred)

Gee... sounds like I'm getting sick! ;)

DeathKnight1728
10-01-2009, 01:26 PM
that's the thing though, I had the game installed when i downloaded it from the site. The game worked and i got pretty far, but then it just stopped working. Maybe it's because i don't have the disc. I never was supposed to have a disc. The game should work fine because depths of peril works fine as well. I even tested to see if it was the game, when last night i downloaded the demo and the demo of kivi's underworld worked fine. I don't think it is the video drivers at all because if that was the case then it would have never worked to begin with.

Does anyone know if there are any other possible things that are making the game from working?

Shadow
10-01-2009, 06:25 PM
There are no disk checks in any version of any of our games right now so that's not the problem.

What do you mean exactly by you changed the display to default?

DeathKnight1728
10-01-2009, 07:51 PM
What i mean is that i went into control panel, from there went to screen adjustments. Went into adjust screen resolution changed it from 1024 by 768 pixels to default which is 800by600. From there the demo works but the game doesn't. I even changed it back to what is was for the game, but that doesn't help either. I should have never uninstalled the game. Could it be possible that because i downloaded the game from bmt, and the download contract which ended 6/19/09 said that if the game isn't installed by then; somehow the game doesn't work because the period for which it is supposed to be installed is up. Is that possibly the problem, because if that is the problem, then i will order the cd to get shipped.

Shadow
10-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Oh, ok I understand what you mean now. It shouldn't change anything though.

That date you have is just how long you can download the installer from BMT and I can change it if need be. There isn't any date checking when installing or in the game so that's not a problem.

When does it crash? Right when you run the executable, when you try to resume your last game, or run a new adventure?

DeathKnight1728
10-01-2009, 11:04 PM
It crashes right when i double-click the program on the desktop. If that helps.

Shadow
10-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Ok. If you are running Vista, it could be a DEP issue. Look at the manual (http://www.soldak.com/Kivis-Underworld/Manual.html) and follow the instructions in the troubleshooting section.

It's also possible, although hopefully not the case, that your save stuff has been corrupted somehow. You could temporarily move everything out of your User/chars directory and then see if the game loads correctly.

If neither of those works and you haven't already tried this you could uninstall, make sure nothing is left, and then reinstall the game.

DeathKnight1728
10-02-2009, 03:46 PM
That's the thing, the game was reinstalled when this all happened. Because I wasn't sure why it stopped working a while ago, i uninstalled it like 4 months ago. Now when i reinstalled it that was when this all started going down like last time.

To be frankly honest, I would like to play the game, but i've really tried everything in the manual. I changed the dep to make it not affect kivi.

The only other way that i haven't been able to figure out is how to disable the ati tray tool or whatever it is called. In the manual it states that if you turn off the ati tray tool which is some kind of program on your computer, it should make the game run if it doesn't start in the beginning. However, I would do this, but I have no idea where to start or even what is an ATI Tray Tool.

Shadow
10-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Did you try moving everything out of User/chars? An uninstall/reinstall won't do this for you.

DeathKnight1728
10-02-2009, 08:24 PM
i did, but the only thing was that there was nothing in there to begin with. So i guess it almost has to be the ati tray tool. So how would one go about disabling it like it says to do in the manual?

Shadow
10-02-2009, 10:21 PM
If you are playing under Vista the real User/chars stuff gets hidden in VirtualStore land so it might not be empty. Should be something like C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Kivi's Underworld\User\chars

I don't seem to have that option with my ATI card, but here's some instructions I found:

Right click on the tray icon to bring the menu up. Select 'Tools and Options' and then 'On-Screen Display'. Make sure 'Enable OnScreen Display' is off and/or 'Hide' in FPS meter section is on.

DeathKnight1728
10-03-2009, 01:05 AM
I did as you said and deleted the files in user. Still didn't work. I got lost with the tools and options part however.

I think that this game just isn't going to work no matter what....I appreciate the help though.

DeathKnight1728
10-04-2009, 01:50 AM
Finally......I figured it out. I downloaded the multiplayer version of the game and it worked fine. I dont know why it took that to make the game work but now it will only play kivis underworld expansion.

I'm glad that the game works though, i would have been very annoyed if it didn't. I guess the only thing that i can say is that in some cases the multiplayer version of the game is more updated therefore it has a greater probability of working.

Shadow
10-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Hmm, that's strange. The multiplayer expansion is newer than the Kivi base game so it's possible that it fixed something. Although most things that I fixed that weren't multiplayer related I ported back to the base game.

I'm really glad that you got it working though.