PDA

View Full Version : A programmer's question

WillValentino
10-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Well first Congrats,

It's a very cool 3D RPG in only 80 MBs. :D
I actually bought the game
(here is where you look amazed if you knew me)
and I am currently playing it.

BUT I have a question. I too want to make RPG's such as this, as you can probly guess Diablo 2 LoD is on my top 3 list so I was wondering if you can give me some pointer. What language you used (I would bet on C++), where did you learn how to do it. Any books in particular that I can learn from... that sort of stuff.

Thanks in advance!

Delilah Rehm
10-27-2009, 10:32 AM
First be willing to spend a year building an engine and then two more years building the game. Also be prepared for loony artists who say they'll work on the game and after burning 3-9 months of production time, split (or just finally let you know they split sometime during week one). We've been really lucky to find incredible artists in the long run, but those initial years were nuts!

Basically, it's a big commitment.

Did I mention stress? No? Unless your partner has the income to pay the bills... It takes awhile to build a brand, for people to know who you are. It can be a bit soul-crushing. It takes tenacity, determination, courage, and if you're married, an iron-clad marriage to get through to a viable business.

Shadow
10-27-2009, 10:38 AM
It is all C++.

Where did I learn how to program games? Well I have a computer engineering degree, I worked at a AAA game company for 6 years, and I have been creating games since high school so I have learned stuff from all sorts of sources.

I have no idea on the book front. There are a ton of them though.

My advice on an RPG would be to find an engine that does as much as you want the final game to do. Start with that and pick one thing at a time to expand.

Delilah Rehm
10-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Just do it for fun unless you're crazy like us! :D

WillValentino
10-27-2009, 02:21 PM
I have committed to games and I don't think I can turn back.
And you can probly say that I am "crazy like you". I've been working on a PnP RPG for 4 years now, but had a hard time finding a cheap college that teach C++... So I think I might be on my own for a while more.
I've worked with a few languages but not enough to actually make something worth while.

"Also be prepared for loony artists who say they'll work on the game and after burning 3-9 months of production time" - The guy I am paying took 2 years to actually start doing what I need him to do. Nevertheless I think I needed the time to actually decide what is final and what isn't.

But it will soon be time to make a PC game and I need that C++.

I know everyone has a lot of ideas and they don't need anymore but is there a chance you might want to work with someone's idea that might be much different from you own and of course good in its own way???

Delilah Rehm
10-27-2009, 02:48 PM
I know everyone has a lot of ideas and they don't need anymore but is there a chance you might want to work with someone's idea that might be much different from you own and of course good in its own way???

It's possible we would if we didn't have a ginormous backlog of planned games. I'm thinking we have stuff planned for about 6 years, and during that 6 years, I'm sure we'll have a zillion new *shinys* of our own to add to the list.

Good luck with learning C++. :) Let us know if you finish a game!

WillValentino
10-27-2009, 06:05 PM
I sure know how that feels :D...
OK I shall but it will take awhile, except the Pen'n'Paper. That's the game I want to make in to a PC game. But when I finish the book I will let you see it, maybe you will change your plans... ;)

P.S. Its not some geeky dumb spaceship or whatever 2-bit D&D PnP...

Good luck with your next game...