PDA

View Full Version : Hopes for Din's Curse

GeorgiaBoy
10-30-2009, 12:22 AM
ramble on:

Just finished playing FATE for about 10 minutes...so tired of the infinite grind! Anyway, to wit:

I hope Din's Curse does not have multiple prefixes/suffixes for its items. Fate got carried away with this.

I hope that the item icons remain the same in Din's like they were for DoP.

I hope that there will be some type of crafting in the game, or as an expansion.

I hope the level cap rises to 199.

I also hope that fixed levels can be modded in as needed.

In addition to the item rarity levels Used, Normal, Magical, Rare, Set, and Unique add Epic, Legendary, Artifact, and Relic. Or make item rarity class moddable.

/rambling off

GB

Shadow
10-30-2009, 10:37 AM
You can get multiple prefixes/suffixes on one item at a time but it won't try to display multiple prefix words at the same time, if that is what you mean.

Icons will be similar to DoP.

You can mod in fixed levels.

We have artifacts and legendary items.

pnutz
10-30-2009, 02:29 PM
I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long RPG whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can rescue the hostage before the monsters kill him. I hope to see my friend, and accept his quests, and not have him stab me in the back. I hope the lair loot is phat as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

Delilah Rehm
10-30-2009, 04:31 PM
The cool thing is that there isn't really spoilers because your game won't be EXACTLY like your friends. :)

SharpCarlos
10-30-2009, 07:11 PM
The cool thing is that there isn't really spoilers because your game won't be EXACTLY like your friends. :)

That sort of sums up what I'm most excited about. For me, the perfect game is one where there's no such thing as a "walkthrough". If I can follow a set of written instructions that tell me exactly what to do to beat the game, then I'm playing somebody ELSE'S adventure. If the walkthroughs and faq's say "I don't know. Explore? Try stuff? See what happens?", then you're talking about a game I want to play.

I'm with pnutz: The way this game's been described so far makes me kind of dizzy with anticipation.

Cadfan
10-30-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm pretty excited about it too.

Really, Soldak may be a small studio, but you're doing things with procedurally generated gameplay that are really cutting edge.

getter77
10-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Likewise, I strongly anticipate good times for this. The Roguetemple folks have yet to be "sparked" outright by Torchlight on account of it seeming simplistic without a certain perceived depth to decisions at play, but I should think Din's Curse will speak strongly to many of the more cerebral aspects of Roguelike tradition. The only other roughly comparable game I know of in indie development at present is Crosscut's Dungeon Delvers---and it may well be a long ways away yet.

Archon
11-02-2009, 11:47 AM
I agree with the sentiments in this topic , the generated gameplay direction with the random towns and quests remind me of such games as Angband or more like my favorite variant NPPangband which is something I am really excited about especially the environment playing a factor in the gameplay (like the NPP variant) which a lot of ARPG's choose to ignore or just skim the surface on. Also I really enjoy the single player style MMO concept in Soldak's first game Depths Of Peril and am really happy it's kinda getting resurrected for Din's Curse.

As for Torchlight (and Titan Quest, besides the class system) it's a fun dungeon romp with a bunch of charm and certainly worth the price although like what has been said above it really seems linear compared to some of it's roguelike cousins and I feel Din's may give more of a graphical/action roguelike experience than a typical PC dungeon crawler.

Guenwhyever
11-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Torchlight is Fate, improved in some areas and trashed in others.

Easily one of the most disappointing games I've bought.

I'm hoping Din's Curse is nothing like it!

Kruztee
11-03-2009, 08:12 PM
I'm playing Torchlight now and enjoying it a lot more than I did Fate. I would say that it's more like Fate v1.5

The mixing and matching of skills, spells and pet spells makes for a much more interesting grind than Fate ever did. I'm curious to know what areas you think Fate did better over Torchlight?

Still, it won't hold my interest once Din's Curse is released.

Guenwhyever
11-04-2009, 01:12 AM
The item system is a great start.

Torchlight has unlimited enchantments and no negative effects.

You are better off using common white items and just enchanting them to the very end (because other items are 10-100x more expensive to enchant and spending ~20k on a common item makes it FAR better than any other item in the game).

EDIT: After going back to the torchlight forums to see if they had done anything about this, it turns out with their soon to be patch they will be tweaking enchanting, so it will fix that. Hopefully it doesn't ruin the game for level 50+ people (max equipment level is ~50, so enchanting is your only choice 50+)!
Also, it turns out items have a chance of getting their enchantments wiped! I find this odd, because I'm level 73 at the moment, with equipment from when I was level 10, and none of it has wiped yet!

But, that's a discussion for a different forum ;)

O'Jorvic
11-23-2009, 09:19 PM
in a perfect world and a perfect game:

1. during fights, chars don't just stand right in front of each other and hack away but dodge, circle each other, more random moves in short,
so that there is something to watch.
it would not have to affect the actual fight-system at all (more clicking or so)

2. when walking through nature: a hero might want to jump over a bush or a boulder instead of walking around it all the time no matter how small the obstacle is. (would also lead to interesting chase-situations when one type of monster cannot jump, like, perhaps a skeleton)

Burmund
12-24-2009, 04:09 PM
If not, Din's Curse is Depths of Peril 2.0 ?

Because i hope that Din's Curse will keep the system of AI factions : my dream : play with 20 AI factions with enhanced diplomacy...

I love trading with AIs... AI is less dull than Humans... :D

Shadow
12-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Din's Curse is not Depths of Peril 2 and it doesn't have covenants like DoP has. It does have way more vendors than DoP though inside the dungeons and that visit the town for short periods of time.

Burmund
12-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Noted :)

Ten characters