PDA

View Full Version : Is Deathblow Worth it?

DeathKnight1728
11-03-2009, 04:54 PM
I've been playing a rogue for a little while now. I mostly use gouge to set my opponent up, but right now I'm in a little bit of a dilemma. I don't know what I should use to finish them off. Precise strike just doesn't seem to do it for me anymore. I should probably go back to lethal blow like I started out with.....

The thing is that I have a little problem with mobs once i get flanked. My question is should i put a point into Charged Strike or in Deathblow. What skill would help with mobs other than caltrops. Right now I'm not sure, that's why i need someone else's experience and advice. It states that Deathblow would add a poison cloud which would essentially kill or maybe even almost kill a large mob, but the question is, is deathblow worth it?

Would charged strike be better because it essentially is not the cold damage that I am into, it is the slow effect. Right now I am not sure, which is why I need someone else's advice.

Cadfan
11-04-2009, 09:27 AM
What other attack skills do you use?

Guenwhyever
11-04-2009, 10:18 AM
For a finishing move, Deathblow and ChargedStrike are really your only choices.

Deathblow is much stronger, but you only get the AoE if it's a killing blow.
ChargedStrike on the other hand has an AoE all of the time and slows your enemies.

So, it's really your choice which to use (but use one of them).

You could always just toss in a mod to make skill changing free and test it out.

Shadow
11-04-2009, 10:46 AM
You can always test out a skill and buy your points back if you don't like it. It's really not that expensive to do.

DeathKnight1728
11-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Cadfan,

I use gouge (lvl 3), in mainly all of my battles. I have 1 point in stealth to sneak through areas and sometimes get a better first strike. 1 point into dagger mastery. 1 point into evasion, 1 in dodge. 2 points in slice as my main momentum generator.

I currently have 2 points into caltrops when things get really messy, so I can sneak away. I used lethal blow for a while, but to be honest; it just doesn't scale up to what you are getting. 20 Momentum is not worth a lethal blow, in my opinion. If they wanted to make lethal blow more viable, they should make it cost 12 momentum (no more, no less). But that's another story.

So.....after reading this I think I will go and put 1 point into charged strike to slow down my opponents. Because in reality, my specific rogue is the type that slows down my opponents while me and my allies overwhelm them with criticals. Gouge is by far my most used skill. I hit all opponents with it and they cant hit me and i critical on them alot more often. It's my favorite skill.

Again, I thank all of you for your advice on the matter

Cadfan
11-05-2009, 02:27 AM
Ah. I use a different strategy.

My primary attacking skills are Slice for momentum, Lethal Blow to do damage and to increase my chances of critical hits, and Critical Strike to capitalize on my critical hits by giving me a damage increase immediately afterwards. I also use Stealth a lot, and have a smattering of passive skills that I increase slowly as I gain levels, keeping them a few steps behind my mainstays.

I'm at level 25 though, so I have a few more points to throw around.

I keep thinking about adding Death Blow, but maybe my skills are so spread around that I shouldn't. I'll put one in to try soon, just to find out how well it works. My next completely new skills should probably be a touch of the armor piercing skill, and a touch of the critical increasing skill, followed by about 5 points in one of the Concentrations. The one that increases Defense is amazing.

DeathKnight1728
11-07-2009, 10:06 PM
One thing I will note however. I forgot to mention that I have viper venom at lvl 3. It may not do that much damage at once, but when you have to fight against a boss with life leach and regenerative properties; it helps a lot. I dropped gouge and took up lethal blow again, lol.

This must have been the 2nd or 3rd time that's happened. The good thing about the game is that you can get your points back in case you screw up. Practically a godsend for me.

I guess the moral of the story is that Rogue's start shining later on in the game when they get to higher levels. It took me a while to learn that because when i played as a mage i could kill things a lot higher than me because firebolt rocked. With my many rogue's that i've made, i will finally say that they are the trickiest class to figure out. But that's just my opinion.

Cadfan
11-08-2009, 03:20 AM
I just tried the Smoke Screen ability. Man is that thing good.

I don't know if I'll put any more than one point into it, because as far as I can tell further points only lower defense more. They don't seem to increase range, duration, or decrease cooldown. But being able to freeze everyone near me so that I can take things on one by one is great.