PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer Suggestion!!

Zhanghia
10-08-2007, 06:41 PM
I played the demo and I was entranced. This game is absolutely begging for multiplayer, though. I'm not sure if this was discussed in an earlier thread, I did a search for it and came up without anything.

Now, if this was planned here's what I'd do to help streamline the process.

Keep the quests in but make them so that everyone starts at level 1 or if they choose a higher level, give them the attribute points to be allocated, the skill points to be used, and some money and basic equipment to fight with;

Quests should stay in but for the most part, anyone can sign up for it but the one who completes the quest and turns it in gets the reward; This should not, however, apply to kill quests and gather quests where people need the experience and money.

For items, you may potentially want it to be temporarily assigned to a player if a chest or monster for, like, 10 seconds for the one who caused it to spawn. Monster loot and experience should go to the one who caused the majority of the damage, if they're both 50% (unlikely) then it should go to who first struck it or perhaps decided randomly by the computer.

I'd still allow npc covenants to be in the game. If a player leaves, perhaps it should be taken over by an AI or just outright destroyed. If a convenant player is killed, one should be able to watch other players but not be able to talk akin to the forced-chase cam in CS.

About everything else should be good, any comments, criticism, or concerns can be addressed here and discussed properly.

Asmodean
10-08-2007, 08:10 PM
If I had to guess, the reason why multiplayer wasn't added is because Soldak - being an indie developer company - probably did not have the funds to implement it properly.

With that said, I think Shadow said the client-server code is already in the game (in fact, it actually runs the game), so if MP was ever to be implemented (from what I hear, it may happen in an expansion pack), the code structure is already there to support it.

Bring your friends to Depths of Peril - the more people buy the game, the more reason Shadow will have to make an MP expansion!

Zhanghia
10-08-2007, 08:28 PM
If I had to guess, the reason why multiplayer wasn't added is because Soldak - being an indie developer company - probably did not have the funds to implement it properly.

With that said, I think Shadow said the client-server code is already in the game (in fact, it actually runs the game), so if MP was ever to be implemented (from what I hear, it may happen in an expansion pack), the code structure is already there to support it.

Bring your friends to Depths of Peril - the more people buy the game, the more reason Shadow will have to make an MP expansion!

I can almost guarantee you that they'd feel more likely to buy it if it DID have MP support.

Asmodean
10-08-2007, 09:18 PM
I can almost guarantee you that they'd feel more likely to buy it if it DID have MP support.

Zhangia,

I agree - and you're also not the first person to express this sentiment. Unfortunately, there's nothing much that can be done about it. Implementing MP takes time and money (money being the critical factor), so I daresay we probably won't see MP functionality unless the game sells well enough to justify it.

After all, what's the point of blowing even more money on an expansion pack to a game that has only lost you money so far?

I know this is a bit of a catch-22, but, sadly, this is the reality of independent game development. Remember that Soldak hasn't got a publisher to fund the development and marketing of its projects, so Shadow is understandably limited in how much money he has to spend. Do keep in mind that Soldak isn't a one-man show; from what I understand, Shadow has hired a lot of fixed-contract personnel to help him put the game together.

EDIT: Oh, and just to clarify, I am absolutely in support of adding MP functionality to DoP; as you said, the game is practically begging for it, and I'm sure the devs realise it, judging from the client-server code that is in the game already.

Zhanghia
10-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Zhangia,

I agree - and you're also not the first person to express this sentiment. Unfortunately, there's nothing much that can be done about it. Implementing MP takes time and money (money being the critical factor), so I daresay we probably won't see MP functionality unless the game sells well enough to justify it.

After all, what's the point of blowing even more money on an expansion pack to a game that has only lost you money so far?

I know this is a bit of a catch-22, but, sadly, this is the reality of independent game development. Remember that Soldak hasn't got a publisher to fund the development and marketing of its projects, so Shadow is understandably limited in how much money he has to spend. Do keep in mind that Soldak isn't a one-man show; from what I understand, Shadow has hired a lot of fixed-contract personnel to help him put the game together.

EDIT: Oh, and just to clarify, I am absolutely in support of adding MP functionality to DoP; as you said, the game is practically begging for it, and I'm sure the devs realise it, judging from the client-server code that is in the game already.

Hmm, well, I know there's plenty of modders on the forum. Could always hope for a mod.