PDA

View Full Version : Saving a generated world

pnutz
11-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Will there be some way to save a generated world so we can share it with someone else? I guess it could be the whole generated world data or just the seed (if that's how this is working). It would be pretty sweet if we could show off some of the crazy, interesting, or extremely difficult worlds that we generate.

Shadow
11-05-2009, 01:03 PM
I don't know yet. Technically you could start a new world, save/exit, copy the world data, give it to someone else, and they put it in their save game folder and rename it to the character's name and it would probably work.

pnutz
11-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Good to know that it's possible. The world data would pretty small I imagine, though it would be nice to be able to just post a random seed ("dude, try 8276468180286721!").

I realize that a big draw of Din is that you never play the same game twice. But when users can export, share, and (hopefully) create worlds, they'll most likely create a community around that. Spelunky is a good real-world example, in which the world is randomly generated but users have set up a couple of sites to share customized levels (just the matrices used to seed the generation). Of course Spelunky has no graceful way of loading custom levels either, so as long as its possible in the first place people will probably still do it. :cool:

Kruztee
11-05-2009, 08:53 PM
What would be awesome is the ability to input a numerical seed at the point of world creation that the game is proceedurally generated off. That way we could share a world just by sharing the seed in a forum post or something similar. It would also allow the user to replay particularly difficult or interesting worlds over if they so wished!

Edit: I just realised that I have posted pretty much the exact same thing as Pnuts above me did almost 7 hours ago. *DOH* Must remember to read all posts in a thread before posting. Sorry!

Shadow
11-06-2009, 10:25 AM
The game does use random seeds, so it is possible. I'm kind of torn on this one. It would be cool to share worlds, but I can also see it abused a lot when people find worlds that have something like high treasure.

pnutz
11-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Yeah that's an issue, but how much protection is on the character data right now? If people want to hack their characters, they'll just use a trainer or tweak it by hand. Also, there isn't PvP or competition in Din, so hacked characters shouldn't ruin the experience for anyone else.

This might also be handy for doling out swanky levels to reviewers and whatnot, to let them see some drastically different examples of the types of worlds that can be generated.

I'll stop nagging now, and just leave it as a request.

scragar
11-06-2009, 02:53 PM
The game does use random seeds, so it is possible. I'm kind of torn on this one. It would be cool to share worlds, but I can also see it abused a lot when people find worlds that have something like high treasure.

Personally I think this would be really cool, but other than online I don't have anyone I could share the codes with.
Some of the worms games had this, you copied a 6 or 7 character code, and the world was generated from that code, you could enter a few words as well for bonus worlds(like "Worms" generated a map designed to look like a worm, complete with rings, eye and funny bit in the middle without rings), although it was possible to cheat this to give one player a huge advantage(put yourself on high ground then play an explosives only match, or create a nice hole for yourself and play an immortal, knocking into the water is the only way to win, match it was rarely as far as I know used for abuse, simply because it was just easier to pick specific weapons and bonuses that the AI was bad at using(The AI almost never used poke if something more damaging was available, the AI would get stuck on certain types of land created by certain weapons such as the jack hammer or donkey...))(Man that's a long side comment).

TL;DR: Given all of the ways to cheat users will always pick the easiest. Mods are easier than playing with random numbers, I wouldn't worry about people cheating the world when they could just cheat the whole game.

Shadow
11-06-2009, 07:30 PM
TL;DR: Given all of the ways to cheat users will always pick the easiest. Mods are easier than playing with random numbers, I wouldn't worry about people cheating the world when they could just cheat the whole game.

It's easy for me to see what can go wrong, but you are probably completely correct about this.