PDA

View Full Version : Din - Warrior and Scavenger

Shadow
11-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Today we revealed the first player class, the Warrior, with its 3 specialties and the first monster, the Scavenger. Check out the warrior on the Din's Curse classes page (http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Curse/Classes.html) and the Scavenger on the Din's Curse monsters page (http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Curse/Monsters.html).

Cadfan
11-18-2009, 07:04 PM
That's interesting. Is your mana gain basically the summary of the various mana gain options of your specialties? Like if you were a straight fighter, you'd have all three specialties, and you'd gain mana whenever you hit, get hit, or parry or block?

Shadow
11-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Yes. So picking a hybrid with a weaponmaster and something else you would lose the mana gain when hit and mana gain on parry and block.

getter77
11-18-2009, 07:31 PM
How nifty. Looking forward to the other class breakdowns and they come and seeing what varieties manifest.

Cadfan
11-19-2009, 03:27 AM
Yes. So picking a hybrid with a weaponmaster and something else you would lose the mana gain when hit and mana gain on parry and block.
Does this mean that you would generate less mana overall as a hybrid than as a regular single class character, since you'd get mana from two sources rather than three? Or is the amount of mana gained adjusted in some way to accommodate?

pnutz
11-19-2009, 12:28 PM
I like the Scavenger, both the creature design and its abilities. Very cool.

So they will actually get larger and more powerful if you let a swarm of them rampage through a level and kill all of the other monsters for you.

Shadow
11-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Does this mean that you would generate less mana overall as a hybrid than as a regular single class character, since you'd get mana from two sources rather than three? Or is the amount of mana gained adjusted in some way to accommodate?

It is possible that a hybrid will have less mana over all. Right now we don't do adjustment.

I like the Scavenger, both the creature design and its abilities. Very cool.

So they will actually get larger and more powerful if you let a swarm of them rampage through a level and kill all of the other monsters for you.

They don't attack and kill live monsters normally. If a group of undead kill a scavenger, then you would have this problem.

Cadfan
11-19-2009, 04:39 PM
It is possible that a hybrid will have less mana over all. Right now we don't do adjustment.
How do ability score bonuses work with hybrids?

When these duplicate, do they add together? The fighter is getting higher attack from dexterity from two sources, the weaponmaster and gladiator. Does he get even more bonus from dexterity than would a hybrid who was only a weaponmaster and some other specialty that doesn't get an extra bonus to attack from dexterity?

Shadow
11-19-2009, 05:14 PM
How do ability score bonuses work with hybrids?

When these duplicate, do they add together? The fighter is getting higher attack from dexterity from two sources, the weaponmaster and gladiator. Does he get even more bonus from dexterity than would a hybrid who was only a weaponmaster and some other specialty that doesn't get an extra bonus to attack from dexterity?

They do add together. So yes a full warrior is probably going to get more attack per dexterity than a hybrid.

DeathKnight1728
11-20-2009, 10:50 PM
So far so good. I'm definitely going to go with weaponmaster/whatever thief class i like. I can't wait to read about the 3 rogue specialties. Hopefully they will be released next! :D

DeathKnight1728
12-04-2009, 12:27 PM
I just thought of something that might want to be considered for the mechanics for base chance.

I was thinking about how deep wounds and crushing blow in DOP's base chance is 2%. Maybe it should be changed in Din's Curse to be 4% or something. It would be much more helpful and would happen more often thus making skills like deep wounds and crushing blow more useful and not useless like they were in dop. The main reason i thought about this is because those passive skills only multiply the base so little that it is very negligible to use in general.

Just a thought that might help make those skills more useful and the game a bit more realistic.

Shadow
12-04-2009, 01:54 PM
I don't think I have moved the base chances, but there is a significant difference in Din's Curse with crushing blow and deep wounds. Now each point of strength increases your crushing blow chances and each point of dexterity increases your deep wound chances.

DeathKnight1728
12-04-2009, 02:12 PM
That's pretty cool, i have to admit. And it makes sense too. Overall, that will make it a lot more viable to use those skills than in the other games.

Shadow
12-04-2009, 03:23 PM
That change is one of the many ideas that has been suggested in these forums. :)