PDA

View Full Version : NPCs Not Respawning?

Asmodean
10-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Hi all,

I just had a town invasion where a bunch of Level 28 elementals slaughtered most of the NPCs (all of them, in fact, except a vendor).

I've already taken over Jorrik, but I was just hanging around to finish the storyline and discover the game map before moving on to another game (I have the little icon telling me I've won the game in the top left corner of the screen).

However, it's been at least 10 minutes since the invasion and none of the NPCs have respawned. This is rather annoying, since I have a completed Storyline quest in my questlog, but the questgiver (the Steward) is dead.

Is this a bug or is respawning after an invasion supposed to take a while?

Shadow
10-09-2007, 08:57 PM
They should all respawn, but it might take a while. The town NPCs respawn much slower than people from covenants.

Desticato
10-10-2007, 07:14 PM
I have witnessed this myself, though it is an admittedly rare occurrence. In my scenario, the weaponsmith needed to be rescued. (Again.) Unsurprisingly, and I say this based upon my previous experiences with these kinds of quests, she died. (Again.)

She thanked me by not ever respawning.

I played for several more hours and she continued to be 'fashionably late.' The next day, I jumped into my game-in-progress and played for another couple of hours before, in an effort to force her to return to work, I decided to beat the two remaining covenants and generate a new 'world.'

Ginna obliged me by returning, albeit grudgingly.

I decided to mete out a bit of punishment by leading an especially dangerous creature that had been scouting our settlement directly to her doorstep and then neglected to help her fight it. She promptly expired, after which I dispatched the beast with unrestrained glee.

In response, she respawned within minutes and hasn't given me any trouble since. Is there an undocumented learning algorithm under the covers that allows us to perform these types of behavior modifications? :)

What I am unable to relate with certainty is whether or not her deaths occurred in the same session. Perhaps the bug, if it exists, manifests itself if a particular NPC dies multiple times, exceeding some arbitrary number that causes this behavior?

Just a thought.

Shadow
10-11-2007, 11:07 AM
It is random when they come back so with all things that are random, you can get a pretty wide range of results. Sometimes they come back really quick and other times they stay gone for a while. This is probably what is happening, but I'll look into it just in case.