PDA

View Full Version : Item Identify

GeorgiaBoy
11-23-2009, 03:59 PM
I like the Diablo system of scrolls (drop rarely)/NPC identification (either free by completing a quest or pay by the item/s). An identify skill could be added to all classes which increases the probability of correctly identifying an item. I realize this changes the identification process from DoP when a first level character can id the most powerful artifact...

Anybody have any thoughts?

GB

Guenwhyever
11-23-2009, 11:27 PM
I HATE identify systems that are just there to waste time.

In D2, scrolls are crazy cheep, and you just have to be sure to stock up whenever you go into town. They don't add anything into the game except the surprise of "wow, my cool enchanted item is THIS kind of cool enchanted item".

You could experience that same feeling if you just see it as a enchanted item drop, then when you pick it up you see what kind it is.

DoP was better, where it waste a very small amount of time and effort.

I'm much rather see something like NWN where you either identify items yourself, with RARE scroll drops, or by paying A LOT to an npc.

If you can easily identify every single item you come across then you might as well remove the identify system.

Cadfan
11-24-2009, 04:55 PM
If you can easily identify every single item you come across then you might as well remove the identify system.
Personally, I kind of like the idea of removing the identification system. It usually just adds a procedural step that doesn't actually do anything for gameplay.

I might like identifying items in RPGs if there were some actual choices involved, or some way that it did something other than tax you time or resources. I don't know what that would be though.

Archon
11-25-2009, 12:34 AM
I think a good identify system would be rare scroll drops (like you mentioned in your post) and having items set up in a way where using a scroll of identify or paying a good price for identify would uncover only one or two characteristics of the item with each additional scroll or large fee uncovering another one or two more. Din's is going to feature negative effects on items and having items with only a small amount of their attributes known would be really cool and it could make identify a viable feature in a dungeon crawler. Also the character's intelligence could dictate how many characteristics are known when the item is picked up by the player although I would make the maximum amount of item characteristics known on pickup either three or four just to keep some of the mystery of the more stacked magical items.

Kruztee
11-28-2009, 08:05 AM
I've got to say that I'm with Cadfan on this one. Having to identify items just seems like a chore. I don't think it actually adds anything in terms of gameplay choices or playabillity. It's seems like a waste of time to me.

scragar
11-28-2009, 09:26 AM
I have played only one game that does identifying items well, nethack, when it's done badly the effects can range from inconvenience, to seriously detrimental to gameplay.

I wouldn't want to see identifying items because I don't believe it can be done right when you have time and money to worry about, it simply requires too much tweaking and poking around to get things working as intended.

Archon
11-28-2009, 09:51 PM
I have played only one game that does identifying items well, nethack, when it's done badly the effects can range from inconvenience, to seriously detrimental to gameplay.

I wouldn't want to see identifying items because I don't believe it can be done right when you have time and money to worry about, it simply requires too much tweaking and poking around to get things working as intended.

It's been a long time since I played nethack and I might be thinking of something else although I remember identify scrolls being a pretty rare drop in the dungeons and on top of that some of the items in nethack were cursed where the player could not unwield such items. Both gameplay elements of rare drops and curses made identify meaningful in the game (and likewise disenchant).

I do agree that identify needs to be something more than a exercise in futility if implemented in any way in DC. Either make identify a rare drop / expensive feature where the player could still wield unidentified items with only a couple of stats exposed or go the Titan Quest route and just drop all identify exercises including right-click identify from the inventory.

Brom
12-17-2009, 07:35 PM
I do not really back it, but here is another method I have seen for identifying items.

If an item is not identified, it simply says "Mace" or the generic name for whatever the item is. Then when you wield it, it identifies itself, such as, "Mace of Might" or if the item is normal it simply changes to "Normal Mace." The catch was, occasionally you would get a cursed item, "Cursed Mace" which could not be removed except by a priest (Or other like NPC, perhaps someone like the Apothecary in DoP) for a fee.

You would still need to be able to identify items with scrolls or by means of an NPC, but this method would add a new element to the game.

GeorgiaBoy
02-05-2010, 02:08 AM
@ Shadow--
Any plans on tinkering with the identify system?

GB

Whew--a lotta posts tonight. My apologies for my enthusiasm.

Shadow
02-05-2010, 09:27 AM
I don't right now. What do you have in mind?

stuartpierce
02-05-2010, 03:30 PM
I agree that identifying is mostly just a chore in many games and doesn't really add game value.

It's actually part of the fun is several rogue-like games.

Typically it works something like this. A player can equip an item before it has been identified. Normally the players doesn't know any of the item stats, but I think it would good if the player could see the most basic attributes before identifying the item, but the magic attributes would be hidden.

The downside to equipping the unidentified item is that if the item is cursed, the player is unable to unequip the item until a remove curse scroll is found. Maybe the player should get the full stats once the item is equipped? Most rogue games do not do this, which adds to the mystery, but maybe it would make Din's Curse too difficult?

Identify scrolls are either scarce or expensive, so a player without one has to judge whether the new item is enough of an improvement to be worth the risk of equipping it and getting stuck with it if it's cursed. The item might have an undesirable attribute, or even if not, the player might still be stuck with it when a superior replacement is found.

I don't know if this would work well with Din's Curse, but it's an interesting idea.

Stuart

GeorgiaBoy
02-05-2010, 04:18 PM
I don't right now. What do you have in mind?

Iding getting more accurate with increase in level or investment in a 'lore' skill, identify scrolls (or other magic items), certain NPCs doing it. Vendors do it already. The way it is now implies that a brand new lvl 1 character knows about every magic item in the game from the very beginning. Seems a little odd...

GB

interesting
02-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Regarding having unidentified items or not.
1. All magic items need to be identified.

2. Some magic items need to be identified.

3. No items need to be identified.
(we solve the problem alla EA)

Regarding player ability to equip item, 0 or 1?
0 The player cannot use unidentified items.
(whats the point of such restriction? just because I dont know what magical properties that dagger has it doesnt mean the character cant stab something with it)

1 The player can use unidentified items.
its his choice and his responsability if he wants too, it also can wield interesting and curious results and experiences.

Regarding how the player identify the item:
1.The player can identify all items by himself.
A. by right clicking and waiting based on item level
B. by using the item for a while one by one each effect gets shown, at first without actual values, then later all values for all modifiers are shown.
B1. this might be affected by character stats, the higher the player inteligence/spirit the faster it identifies the item, also, this is for free.

2.The player needs an item to identify the items, like a scroll of identify.

3. The player needs an npc to identify the items.
A. Npc can do it for free or for a fee (player reputation, and npc personality)
B. Opportunity for quests: npc dies, gets ill, becomes hostage, petrified. So the player creates a psychological connection with the npc and tries to protect it, it becomes meaningfull.

4. Some items might require a ritual to identify them.
A. because player is afraid to use it, or using it he could not tell and npc is not available and/or cant do it himself.
A1. either because the item is very powerfull.
A2. either because the randomness decided this item would be a pain to identify.

B. This could be chained with other quests. Maybe identifying an item would unleash his power or something. Maybe other npcs or monsters have interest on it.

Regarding having negative effects on items, 0 or 1.
0. No, all magic items are happy happy good aligned items.

1. There could be items that are cursed or damned. (opportunity for quests)
A. some could drive an NPC mad and attack everyone on sight, or make the player go berserk or fall asleep.
B. some could attract the attention of boss monsters.
C. some could give a permanent effect on the player.
D. some could not be unequipped untill a quest is made.

I still remember Lilalcor the Talking Sword on Baldurs Gate and Morrowind mod.
Imagine if you try to identify it and it awakens... or talks with the player and start a quest.

Identifying as it was in Depths of Peril didnt added anything, it wasnt coherent, it was a pointless lost of time that didnt made the game more vibrant or alive, it didnt ressonated with any other gameplay elements, didnt chained with events or quests. It was an sterile system.