PDA

View Full Version : Din's Curse - Ranger

Shadow
12-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Today we revealed the second player class, the Ranger, with its 3 specialties (Archer, Hunter, and Druid) over on the Din's Curse classes page (http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Curse/Classes.html).

getter77
12-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Good assortment of skills, though I was somewhat surprised to see no manner of Shapeshifting Mastery for the Druid. Fun sounding stuff all around though.

Shadow
12-02-2009, 01:47 PM
I thought about adding a shape changing mastery, but it seemed a little strange for only 2 skills.

Cadfan
12-02-2009, 01:58 PM
I know you can't use skills while you're shapeshifted, but if you've used a skill with a duration, does it remain active while you're shapeshifted?

Like Barkskin or Strength of Stone?

DeathKnight1728
12-02-2009, 02:19 PM
The ranger class sounds awesome. I always liked a class that has a decent assortment of abilities/ranged finesse.

I have a few questions though.

-For the skill-Light Touch, which makes it harder for monsters to notice you. Is this a passive skill like shadowwalk in Kivi's Underworld or an active one. It's probably passive like in kivi's, but I just was wondering.

-It said something about stamina. How does stamina work. Is it like in the game arcanum where you run out of stamina and you cant run/you have to walk or something like that?

-When I read the mana generation for the hunter class, it said normal. Would that mean that you generate mana only when you hit an enemy with bow or dagger or is it when one of your traps hit?

Thanks. I can't wait until beta comes around; hopefully soon. Definitely gonna give that a try :D

Shadow
12-02-2009, 03:28 PM
I know you can't use skills while you're shapeshifted, but if you've used a skill with a duration, does it remain active while you're shapeshifted? Like Barkskin or Strength of Stone?

Already active status effects will keep working normally.

-For the skill-Light Touch, which makes it harder for monsters to notice you. Is this a passive skill like shadowwalk in Kivi's Underworld or an active one. It's probably passive like in kivi's, but I just was wondering.

It is passive and very similar to Shadow Walk.

-It said something about stamina. How does stamina work. Is it like in the game arcanum where you run out of stamina and you cant run/you have to walk or something like that?

You run at half speed if you run out of stamina. The only time you use stamina though is if you run during combat or something drains your stamina.

-When I read the mana generation for the hunter class, it said normal. Would that mean that you generate mana only when you hit an enemy with bow or dagger or is it when one of your traps hit?

Normal in this case means the hunter gets nothing special for mana gen. Mana will regenerate over time, they can drink a normal drink, or drink a potion just like everyone else though.

scragar
12-02-2009, 03:42 PM
I would probably have to see shape changing in action to understand how it works fully, but wouldn't it be nice to have multiple shape changes for different purposes? Maybe one brute force attacker, one with huge defense, one with magic, one who regenerates or has healing powers, one with high land speed, one who can get through tricky areas, one with a sense of something others can't see, one with special effects of some kind...

Might be really cool watching someone shift to something like a bird to fly around a blockage at high speed, then change into a skunk to scare off the enemies before turning into bear to smash open a chest, but it's trapped, so then you shift into something that heals fast to get your health back while you pick up the treasure, but the enemies are approaching, quick, what form for battle, you have only half health, is it worth going tiger hoping to finish this fast, or should you go armadillo and try to wait for your health to regenerate? Perhaphs scaring the enemies off again until your health regens would be better?

Maybe I'm just over thinking this :p

Cadfan
12-02-2009, 06:00 PM
I would probably have to see shape changing in action to understand how it works fully, but wouldn't it be nice to have multiple shape changes for different purposes? Maybe one brute force attacker, one with huge defense, one with magic, one who regenerates or has healing powers, one with high land speed, one who can get through tricky areas, one with a sense of something others can't see, one with special effects of some kind...

Might be really cool watching someone shift to something like a bird to fly around a blockage at high speed, then change into a skunk to scare off the enemies before turning into bear to smash open a chest, but it's trapped, so then you shift into something that heals fast to get your health back while you pick up the treasure, but the enemies are approaching, quick, what form for battle, you have only half health, is it worth going tiger hoping to finish this fast, or should you go armadillo and try to wait for your health to regenerate? Perhaphs scaring the enemies off again until your health regens would be better?

Maybe I'm just over thinking this :p
I think you're liable to see a different sort of strategy- fire off ranged spells until the enemies get close, make sure your boost spells are active (you've got armor, hit points, and strength boosts available), then shift into a kodiak to kill everything when the enemies arrive.

I have to say that I like the way each of these specialties could, at least hypothetically, be played as an entire character.

Shadow
12-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Scragar, that would definitely be cool. With how we are doing specialties I don't have that many skills to play with for each specialty though. :) The Kodiak and Stalker are pretty different.

scragar
12-03-2009, 02:51 AM
I think you're liable to see a different sort of strategy- fire off ranged spells until the enemies get close, make sure your boost spells are active (you've got armor, hit points, and strength boosts available), then shift into a kodiak to kill everything when the enemies arrive.

I have to say that I like the way each of these specialties could, at least hypothetically, be played as an entire character.

I think that would be easily countered by having a wait between certain things, perhaps a delay between transformations, or a cool down period after abilities to transform again, or better still, a fast recovering mana bar, transforming consumes mana, using abilities consumes mana, if you are a magic user and attack from a distance would keep your mana low, when the enemies get close you don't have the energy to change to anything other than your natural form.

It would be very cool to see a game with this sort of ability set, but then you have to wonder how it would work, would each animals unique one or two abilities be a single ability on the quickbar? Would transforming from one form to another skipping human be possible? Could you really interact with an NPC as a monster? How would monsters react when approached by another monster of the same species?
I think I just ruined my own really cool idea for myself :(

DeathKnight1728
12-03-2009, 02:51 PM
There is only one thing i don't understand about the ranger class. When it comes to bows, how does strength affect their damage? Shouldn't it be dexterity. Because in DOP, There are 5 main attributes: Strength, Dex, Vitality, Intelligence, and Spirit.

Shadow
12-03-2009, 06:51 PM
There is only one thing i don't understand about the ranger class. When it comes to bows, how does strength affect their damage? Shouldn't it be dexterity. Because in DOP, There are 5 main attributes: Strength, Dex, Vitality, Intelligence, and Spirit.

It's mostly a balance thing. A class has a significant advantage if they only have to develop one attribute. Strength does control how far back you can pull a bow string (or how powerful of a bow you can wield) and thus how much force is behind the arrow.

Dlover
01-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Will there be pets in Din's Curse? Maybe rangers could tame animals such as wild dogs, bears, horses etc?

Shadow
01-08-2010, 08:10 PM
There are summoned/created pets.

Dlover
01-08-2010, 09:01 PM
ok. I just didn't see that sort of thing when I went though the classes. are there skills that don't belong to a certain specialization? or is it not a skill at all?

Shadow
01-08-2010, 09:52 PM
They are all skills. The only class that we have announced so far that has a pet spell is the Fire Mage with the Fire Elemental skill. We have an unannounced class (2 specialties) that has more summoning spells though.

Dlover
01-08-2010, 10:44 PM
hmm, I didn't think of the elemental. I just thought it would be something like a party member.