PDA

View Full Version : Diplomacy?

Kruztee
10-16-2007, 07:39 AM
N00b here, first post.

Firstly let me congratulate Soldak on a brilliant game. Best $30 spent on a game in a long time =)

I only bought the game yesterday and am still getting the hang of things, but it seems apparent to me at this early point that diplomacy with the other covenants is neither useful nor profitable.

Don't get me wrong, I really like this game on many levels (I'm a huge fan of roguelikes), but I just dont see the point of setting up trade routes or pacts. The other covenants can be kept placated by gifts of unwanted items and such until the point where the player is strong enough to take them out one by one. They demand huge amounts of influence to set up a trade route or pact even when positioned well under the players covenant in power, and trade routes seem to drain my crystal balance rather than augment it as I would have expected. I just don't get it. Perhaps somebody with a little more insight into the game could please enlighten me?

Shadow
10-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Welcome to the forums Kruztee.

You certainly don't need to setup trade routes or pacts but they can be useful. Trade routes over time will make you a lot of extra crystals, BUT they start off costing crystals. So for a little while, you will lose crystals. This is basically the cost of setting up the trade route, but after a while it will start generating your free crystals.

As for the AI asking for large amounts of influence and/or crystals to setup trade routes or for pacts, they only do this when they don't really want the trade route or pact. If they like you enough they will agree to these for free. If they don't like you enough, they will ask for payment to cover the difference.

Kruztee
10-18-2007, 09:55 AM
I've actually been reading some of the older posts on the boards and see that my question has been answered beforehand. Sorry for breaking the old rule. :D

Using the tips and tricks I have learnt here, I'm already enjoying the game evn more!

Shadow
10-19-2007, 11:18 AM
That's not a problem, I'm glad that are enjoying the game.