PDA

View Full Version : Friday 5 New Year

Delilah Rehm
01-07-2010, 04:42 PM
1. Steven is working all the time. He gets up when the kids go to school and works, takes a lunch break, then around 7 PM, wanders into the kitchen in search of the mysterious dinner that I usually don't cook. Then he works more, watches an hour of tv/movies and goes to bed. I may see him for a bit if we playtest for an hour in the evening, but that's it. It makes me sad. :(

2. I wrote 2/3 of a 120,000 science fiction novel last year. Yay! I'm really tempted to make a goal to write a novel this year, something different from Vampire Planet, but it would be a stupid thing to do. Stress is eating me alive and I don't have much to work with to push through the psychological mind games of writing, plus the constant interruptions coming from running the house and raising the kids.

3. So... Perhaps this year can be the don't-stress-about-writing-and-just-read year. I've already read 3 books this month, so I'm on track for reading 48 books in 2010! I'll probably write some short stories though. I need to prepare myself for Depths 2 so I won't be overwhelmed when Soldak decides to create it.

4. I'm tired. I can't seem to snap back into the swing of things and get back on routine after the holidays. I surprised myself by sleeping 10 hours a night for about a week straight. Usually I can only sleep 10 hours for a couple of nights and then I'm back at a happy 9 hours. During the school week, I sleep about 8 hours, which leaves me feeling like a zombie by Thursday.

5. Is it just me, or is this winter crazy cold? I miss going on walks, but not enough to bare the freezing (below 30 F) temperatures. Oh well. It isn't like I have excess energy to burn! ;) Getting a bit of exercise and sunlight usually levels out my mood though, keeps me happy and positive.

Guenwhyever
01-07-2010, 11:53 PM
With all the brain flying around in that house, you at least find some solace in knowing that your kids will be smart ones! =]

Delilah Rehm
01-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Sometimes I tell the kids I'm growing them for their brains... their juicy, juicy brains. :D I put my hand on top of their head and give it a couple of squeezes. Not ripe yet! ;)

Guenwhyever
01-08-2010, 11:51 AM
I knew when I made that post that somebody would interpret it in a zombie-esq way :P

Kruztee
01-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Sometimes I tell the kids I'm growing them for their brains... their juicy, juicy brains. :D I put my hand on top of their head and give it a couple of squeezes. Not ripe yet! ;)

:DROFLMAO:D

Delilah Rehm
01-15-2010, 10:52 AM
1. When I was young, stressed and depressed I used to daydream of getting in my car and driving far away from the social anxiety and family drama, that if I could get away from these demons, I could be happy. I was blessed with a time of utter stability though I was somewhat lonely. I solved the lonely bit, yet now I am plagued with financial anxiety and health drama (nothing of immediate seriousness). :p It's always something - right? Anyway, these days I don't escape through daydreams of escape by car. Instead, I tend to draw floorplans of my dream house, both fully equipped and a scaled down "realistic" version.

2. Reading - I'm doing it! Currently I'm reading two books at the same time, one at my desk and one in the bedroom. This worked amazingly well... at first. Now I've run into a tiny problem. They are both revving up and getting very interesting! Since I tend to read cover to cover with little other activity, I'm worried I'm about to forgo all other duties to finish both of these books. Though, maybe I won't. I don't love either book, so I guess we'll see.

3. I have several acquaintances who watch new movies regularly. I don't. I don't even care to. It's just not that important to me. I feel a little bit of peer pressure - like everyone's doing it so what's wrong with me? Anyway, I wonder if getting to know and care about someone based on current movies is a shallow thing. If you truly love it, then I don't think so. But most people aren't really kindred spirits on this level, but perhaps do it because it's the thing to do.

4. I used to love surfing the net, especially checking out the social sites. Lately, I'm not as into it. I might post once a day on facebook and less on twitter. I still like coming here the most, but there isn't enough traffic! *sadness* I'm hoping things will warm up soon, with Din's coming out.

5. Speaking of Din's Curse - I'm playing it almost everyday. It is engaging. Even without covenant play, there are actually more variables to deal with. New monsters, skills, weapons, armor, and environment details make solving quests and exploring more complicated and fun. I absolutely LOVE multiplayer. Playing with Steven and/or the kids is a blast. Even our eight year old daughter has a good time. :) Also love the new artifact and legend items - using them and collecting them.

My peace of mind really needs this game to take off like a rocket and sell 4-5 times better than our first two games. That's really a lot. I think Din's Curse has a chance. The foundation is there.

Every new game feels like I'm coming to a wall of the unknown, where I can't predict the future and it is scary as hell. The first time was the worst, but I'm more familiar with the experience now. I've learned that even though I hope for something amazing, I keep my expectations low. It reminds me of the early dating years, first kisses and such. Overwhelming emotion, extreme highs and lows, and butterflies in the stomach like a crazy rollercoaster ride.

Delilah Rehm
01-20-2010, 02:35 PM
1. It is too quiet here. Chat, people! That's an order.

2. I really like making amigurumi (stuffed animals from yarn). It's fun to look at all of the game related amigurumi on google images. I've mostly made animals, but I did make a jiggly puff (http://wolfdreamer-oth.blogspot.com/2009/03/this-is-jigglypuff-i-made-for-kids.html) pokemon for my daughter for Christmas. I have pictures up on raverly under del9lah, but you have to have an account to see them. I might have some in facebook, but same thing. :(

3. OMG!!! ELIZABETH MOON (http://www.elizabethmoon.com/) will be on ConDFW (http://www.condfw.org/) this year, Feb 12-14. I'm really excited to see her again. She is my second favorite writer of all time. I love, absolutely love how she writes. I'm going to enjoy hanging out with her as much as I can without being annoying, and I may go a little fan girl on her. It can't be helped. She is AMAZING.

4. I'm fastly approaching a crossroads and I'm not sure what road to take. One road I can't talk about, and the other is buckling down, getting over myself and really pouring my all into Vampire Planet. Rachel Caine (http://www.rachelcaine.com/) finished a book while undergoing cancer treatments. So what I'm insanely stressed and frustratingly interrupted after 3 pm? I need to trade in my whiny-mobile and just get on with it.

5. I had a great time at my writers group last night. They are a wonderful group of people brimming with talent. One of our kin, Jerry Davis (http://mojowriter.com/) moved to Chicago (or somewhere that-a-ways) and we're talking about taking a road trip to a Chicago con and hooking up with him again. If I was putting money on it, I think he might be the first one published main stream, because I hear his latest wip is awesome. Next might be Melanie (http://www.melaniefletcher.com/) because she's got several things to shop to agents, then maybe Michelle and Bill (http://www.williamledbetter.com/). Am I holding them back with my drama? (God I hate drama!) Or maybe they are pulling me up.

I'm going to finish that long Lumen story today, the one I gave you guys a sneak peek during the Fantastical Creature Reality Show... Last year! *eep*

Delilah Rehm
01-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Scheise. I don't remember where I put that lumen story. I'm not even sure what I called it. :mad:

Delilah Rehm
01-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Okay, I found one version of it but I thought I had more. I hope this is the latest version. :-/ (This is what happens when you let things hibernate for a year!!!)

Delilah Rehm
01-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Somewhere I have notes on this story, but after all the searching to *find* the story, I think I'll take new notes.

Wantonius
01-20-2010, 03:30 PM
1. It is too quiet here. Chat, people! That's an order.

I tried coming up with something to say but it seems that teaching bunch of mobile industry coders the inner workings of linux kernel and system programming (Maemo, *expletive*) for a week 12 hours a day really does suck all thought out of you :D. I was actually contemplating on playing some totally idiotic FPS game. Must be first time in years. But I'm probably going to watch Whose Line Is It Anyway? on youtube. I desperately need to laugh.

getter77
01-20-2010, 05:12 PM
1. Mad at some random jerk(s) for stealing/UPS for bungling the mouse my new PC needs for mousin' tasks and it still being another week or so before Newegg/UPS can coordinate to TRY A BIT HARDER this time around as far as getting me a replacement.

2. Mad at Monoprice for not sending me the cables I ordered so I can connect a monitor to the New PC and install the OS and such to use it, so now having to wait another chunk of days and hope they actually send the right cables this time. DVI cables are surely not mini-dv ones!

3. I had an awesome lunch today, via a local pizza place that whipped up a Calzone-like thing, baked and using different cheeses than the usual overload of Ricotta. It was also half sliced with little slits to where all you had to do was roll it up at one end with a knife and fork and you'd have a perfect little roll for sauce dipping and not having to fight with cutting anything/slashing wax paper up Zorro-style.

4. Discovered White Rock Ginger Ale as an alternative to the false choice that Canada Dry/Schwepps represents. So good.

5. Culminated in my eclectic dinner last night of said Ginger Ale, Udon Noodles, Ground Venison with oils and spices, cornbread, and my signature sauce which is an amalgam of a hot sauce, dry spice, and a certain pizza sauce. If I'm not "experimenting", as opposed to cooking which I don't know how to do yet, with food---something must be wrong. ;)

DarkShrike
01-20-2010, 05:17 PM
So I had this small amazon shipping box that my female cat was absolutely intent on fitting into. Now there was NO way that she could possibly do it but it was cute to watch so I just left it sitting around.

The other day I get up from my computer desk to grab a drink and lo and behold what meets my eyes?

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx121/DarkShrike_photos/Grep.jpg

Granted she actually broke the box fitting into it but what determination!!

Go Grep, Go!!

DarkShrike
01-20-2010, 05:26 PM
5. Speaking of Din's Curse - I'm playing it almost everyday. It is engaging. Even without covenant play, there are actually more variables to deal with. New monsters, skills, weapons, armor, and environment details make solving quests and exploring more complicated and fun. I absolutely LOVE multiplayer. Playing with Steven and/or the kids is a blast. Even our eight year old daughter has a good time. :) Also love the new artifact and legend items - using them and collecting them.

You know what would make an awesome birthday present for me?... ;)

You must not taunt me with the precious!!

Delilah Rehm
01-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Wantonious- I know exactly what you mean. A friend of mine runs NerdyPerv (http://nerdyperv.com/?p=781) and wants people to nominate nerds for nerd of the week. My mind was a total blank for the longest time, and then the only *famous* nerd I could think of is Felicia Day... Then I think it's so sad I can't think of even one guy!!!

Getter77- Your lunch does sound yummy. :) Experimenting with food is practically cooking! Why must cooking require flame/heat anyway?

Darkshrike- Cutest kitty-in-a-box EVER! (Except when my kitty is in a box. ;))

Aganazer
01-21-2010, 09:58 AM
So I had this small amazon shipping box that my female cat was absolutely intent on fitting into. Now there was NO way that she could possibly do it but it was cute to watch so I just left it sitting

I've always been amazed at a cat's desire to cram itself into a box. I've even left a few much too small boxes out just to see the cats try it on for size. If a cat likes to lay down in a box, you'd think they wouldn't react so violently to a cat carrier. It must have something to do with doors, the nemesis of every cat.

Delilah Rehm
01-21-2010, 10:08 AM
My cat likes to lay on paper. Beware leaving paper on the floor! Which sometimes the kids do. A box, I get. Paper... not so much. :confused:

DarkShrike
01-21-2010, 10:49 AM
I'm going to like it here :)

I assume you have seen How to Tell if Your Cat is Plotting to Kill You (http://www.catswhothrowupgrass.com/kill.php)? I'm pretty convinced that everything my cats do is all part of some bizarre psychological experiment (sort of like the mice from Hitchhikers Guide...) with me as the test subject.

DarkShrike
01-21-2010, 11:13 AM
1. I am eagerly awaiting lunch today. I will go grab some good Chinese and then spend the lunch hour playing my first game of DoP.

2. Last night I played Kivi's Underworld. Fun!

3. I think you guys already do what makes torchlight fun. As long as Din's curse has HIGH replay-ability I expect it will do quite well. And with all the class combinations you are advertising how could it not be. Random dungeons are cool but honestly I would rather have great story, quests, and tons of fun in game where no character every really plays the same.

Delilah Rehm
01-21-2010, 02:03 PM
1. Check out this video that my writers group said I should look up - an engineers guide to cats (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXBL6bzAR4). :-)

2. I might name my long lumen story "Careful Crazy". I got to page 30 (editing) yesterday before I started feeling sick from cough syrup.

3. Did I mention I've been coughing for about 5 weeks now? It's been long enough to kind of be used to it but still annoying. I don't think it's allergies and I hope it'll clear up eventually. These are the times where I miss regular health insurance. Our current stuff only helps if our bill is crazy bad.

4. I've never done a Friday 5 twice in one week, but I really like the format of writing five things that have been on my mind. Usually after #5 I've run out of things to say.

5. Or sometimes I run out *by* #5. ;) So here is a list of things on my desk atm: chapstick, an empty canning jar, a water bottle, my latest amigurumi (squirrel, acorn), a Depths of Peril box I'm trying to convert into a purse before ConDFW (yes, I will post a pic if it works), cough lozenges, a sticky note pad with notes on Careful Crazy, two stacks of various papers, two Sims 2 cd cases, five books, four hooks (for crochet), a ball of black yarn and many needles, and a 10 sided die. Yeah, it's a mess - or if you want to be politically correct, it's just "kitty proof." The cat does *not* spend time on my desk. Steven can't say the same. :D

Delilah Rehm
01-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Page 42 plothole - found and killed. Woo hoo!

In Careful Crazy there is a sheep named Jelly. I think I should make an amigurumi sheep! I'm always thinking I should crochet monsters from Depth's of Peril and Kivi's Underworld, but I'm not sure if I could pull it off. :confused:

DarkShrike
01-21-2010, 04:22 PM
And thus the yarn spinner manifests her creations from the very fabric of reality - kind of the inverse of the Norns :)

I now find myself pondering the origins of the word "looming"

DarkShrike
01-21-2010, 04:40 PM
1. I feel like I am threadjacking by talking in this thread - I hope it is ok. I saw the "come on people post more" and just started chatting :)

2. Of all the science fiction authors I have read I am surprised that I have yet to actually read anything by Elizabeth Moon. Is there something you would recommend?

3. DoP didnt happen over lunch while I regret that I didnt have that opportunity something much better happened. I had lunch with an old work associate who is now at my new employer. It gave me the chance to unload some old pain from the previous job and I'm happier for it.

4. lol - cats for engineers. Much mirth was found and shared, thank you!

5. It was wonderful to find these forums. I have been beta testing a soon to be released highly anticipated game and the forums there tend to be cluttered with trolls. What a pleasant surprise to find this oasis. I look forward to chatting about more 'pertinent' topics as I find time to play DoP.

Delilah Rehm
01-21-2010, 06:01 PM
You are not hijacking. I wish more people would post a Friday 5 and we could get to know each other better.

As for Moon, :) it depends what you'd like. If you want a stand-alone book, Remnant Population is very good. If you want fantasy, Sheepfarmer's Daughter is the start of a 3 book series, also very good. If you want sf, my fave in the Serrano Legacy, starting with The Hunting Party. Book 5 of that series is the *best* book I've read in the last 3 years (yes, I keep track of what I've read and rate them).

Yeah, luckily we're pretty troll free over here (knock on wood). Steven and I (and by that I mean Steven) would put a stop to anything obvious. Anyway, I hope you like Depths of Peril. I can't even count how many hours I played that game!

DarkShrike
01-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Actually I was wrong - now that I look I read Speed of Dark a while back. I had forgotten about that book. :o

My library has gotten rather large. I keep telling myself I need to prune it but I cannot make myself do it.

Wantonius
01-22-2010, 02:18 AM
Last additions to my library came at Christmas and some of those books got me really worried. They were:

Ian Kershaw, Hitler <- brilliant book about the actual person.
Thomas Craughwell, How the Barbarian Invasions shaped the Modern World.
Philip Matyszak & Joanne Berry, Lives of Romans.
and one book in Finnish whose title roughly translates to "Destruction of Western Civilization" by a professor of economics here in Finland.

I think you can spot a theme here :D. My friends and family seem to think I'm morbid.

Delilah Rehm
01-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Speed of Dark was good, but totally different from all of her other books (partly because it's modern day).

How the Barbarian Invasions shaped the Modern World sounds interesting.

I read something recently where Native American Indians liked living in the forest, yet European settlers cut back the forest and plowed more land than to feed their family. I got to thinking about this because I like the idea of having a house surrounded by trees, but in suburbia, it's a safety hazard. Bad guys can hide from neighbors easily as they break in. I'm thinking in Europe, this was a similar reason to cut back the woodlands - so you can see your enemies coming for a long ways, to prepare and stay safe.

Steven and I sometimes talk about how the Native American Indians didn't stand a chance. They didn't have the population stress of Europe forcing them to evolve their way of living. One thing that impresses me about them is the advanced medicine they had. Unfortunately, the Europeans didn't believe it was real because it was wrapped with so much superstition. "Why yes, settlers, blood letting *is* the civilized way." Population stress doesn't necessarily help on the health care front. :D

I do have a few lines of Native American Indian back in my ancestry, but most of it is European leaning slightly toward German and Irish. I've always felt sad about the destruction of the Native American Indians, but it probably wasn't anything new in the world. History on repeat. At least in Canada, the Indians were better treated.

Delilah Rehm
01-22-2010, 08:00 PM
About to play Din's Curse right now, with Steven. :-D I guess we don't really need dinner, right? We can eat slices of cheese. (Why does this suddenly feel like college?) ;)

DarkShrike
01-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Hey now, cheese is good food!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbmVz_6onQ0

BTW - I decided on "Trading in Danger". I will try somethign else next but I am a sucker for juvenile/coming of age themed sci-fi. It brings back many fond memories of my childhood :D

Delilah Rehm
01-24-2010, 03:57 PM
The Vatta stuff is really good too. :)

1. I've finished Careful Crazy with a revamped ending. I just need to proof the last 10 pages then I can submit it to my writing group. They help me shore up holes or other weirdness.

2. Steven is planning to put together my Depth of Peril stories in one volume for sale through lulu. I asked him to wait until I had something new that wouldn't be available online so that the buyers would get a little something they couldn't get elsewhere. I posted about 1000 words of the intro during the Fantastical Creatures Reality Show, but the whole thing is about 11,000 words.

3. It's Sunday! I reserve many chores and shopping for today, but this particular day has turned into a cook-fest as well. I'm cooking beans, then stew meat, and then stew! It doesn't sound like a lot, but it's many, many hours of cooking (and not burning!) food.

4. I'm still working on my Depths of Peril box purse. I'm not sure how usable it's going to be... I'll just have to finish it and give it a test drive to find out!

5. I really want Din's Curse to do well so neither Steven or I will have to get a "real job." The game is great and I think a lot of people are going to love it. My biggest concern is about how to get more people to become aware the game even exists. I wish I'd taken a marketing class in college! Anyway, if you guys have any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Also, thanks for being more chatty this week. I've enjoyed it and was in a much better mood because of it. :D Err... Umm... So I guess my family is thankful as well.

Coreyh2
01-24-2010, 08:47 PM
The Idiot's Guide to Marketing Your Indie Game by Michael Rose (http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/MichaelRose/20091212/3798/The_Idiots_Guide_to_Marketing_Your_Indie_Game.php)

Delilah Rehm
01-24-2010, 10:03 PM
We've gotten pretty good press on game sites. I still need to read the other 4 articles linked in the article.

What I'm thinking is most gamers don't read gaming websites. Is it just a word of mouth thing starting with these core gamers? Or is there some other way to reach out to gamers that is effective?

Perhaps it's something else entirely, like maybe we need some kind of hubbub to get people talking, like how Conan O'Brien's show gained 50% viewers this last week or so.

I am wracking my brain thinking we must be missing something, if only I could think of what? :confused:

Anyway, thanks for the link. I need all the ideas I can get. :)

Delilah Rehm
01-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Ooooo The viral video with something funny sounds like a good idea. I won't make one where I fake falling out of my chair though!

Looks like I should start videoing my gameplay. :D

Wantonius
01-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Ooooo The viral video with something funny sounds like a good idea. I won't make one where I fake falling out of my chair though!

Good gameplay video would make waiting much more bearable :D. I'm all for it.

DarkShrike
01-25-2010, 09:43 AM

hmmm... Something showing the entire family having a great time playing together? I am not certain though that dungeon crawlers typically fall into the family together playing group, however, I know of several families that play MMos together so perhaps :)

Delilah Rehm
01-26-2010, 11:44 AM
I think the key to a viral-ish video is that it must be something *funny* regardless of how many players. So once I figure out how, I'd like to video all of my game play and just wait for something funny. Then I'll need to edit that little bit into a video!

Lately, Steven and I are playing together. Yesterday he fixed some kind of lag problem I was having so the game runs smoother.

Shadow
01-26-2010, 01:04 PM
That lag problem was crappy drivers. :( Sometimes pc development is a pain.

DarkShrike
01-26-2010, 01:35 PM
That lag problem was crappy drivers. :( Sometimes pc development is a pain.

Sometimes??? I can't imagine what a pain it would be to do PC game development with the multitude of hardware configs that you can run into - let alone the consumer education side of things with the end-user who just wants it to 'go'

DarkShrike
01-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Just finished "Trading in Danger". I should get such fruitcake!!! on to book two.

Delilah Rehm
01-27-2010, 11:56 AM
1. I tried using my camera to video game play. Umm... that didn't work so much. The screen was all jumpy. So I need to figure out another way.

2. Still working on dialog and I hope a few of you out there like to read the stuff. I'm not a big dialog reader myself. Din's is going to be packed with info and interesting quotes. I'm in the middle of help tips for monsters currently.

3. In my current stressful lifestyle, I've had a hard time sticking to diets for long term satisfaction when immediate compulsion was strong, so now I'm resulting to candy bribery and even though it's only day four, I think this is going to work fairly well.

Here's how it works: First I had to find candy for my "reward" that would be no more than 100 calories. Yeah, fun sized candy bars didn't make the cut. At first I went with a box of valentine heart candies, the kind with words on them. That was okay, but then I found nerds rope, which I love! Now, if I stay in my weight watchers point range (29 points or somewhat over 1450 cal), the next day I can have a nerds rope. When my compulsion confronts the fact that giving in will lose me my nerds rope the next day (an immediate reason to stick to the plan), then my compulsion loses because I really like nerds rope candy! (It's sad that I can be trained just like an animal! :D)

4. Last year (Dec 08), my great uncle died while still in the hospital after knee surgery. Later they found out he had a bad heart and that plus the surgery was the cause. Yesterday, my mom had knee surgery and even though I know a bad heart is just one of those wonky things, I felt like I was holding my breath until this morning - that if she was still alive this morning then she would be okay. Of course she is! It's like that car wreck I had in December. I'm still jumpy when I cross that intersection. Experience can do that to you.

5. I taught my daughter how to do multiplication in kindergarten and she understood the concept right away. In first grade, I taught her division which she also understood. The problem is she kept getting confused which was which. This morning (she's in second grade now), I told her the knocked over plus sign makes the number bigger (add the piles) just like a plus sign, and the minus sign with chickenpox makes the number smaller (make the piles). Hopefully now she won't have a problem remembering.

Did I mention she loves math? :cool:

Wantonius
01-27-2010, 12:40 PM
1. I tried using my camera to video game play. Umm... that didn't work so much. The screen was all jumpy. So I need to figure out another way.

2. Still working on dialog and I hope a few of you out there like to read the stuff. I'm not a big dialog reader myself. Din's is going to be packed with info and interesting quotes. I'm in the middle of help tips for monsters currently.

3. In my current stressful lifestyle, I've had a hard time sticking to diets for long term satisfaction when immediate compulsion was strong, so now I'm resulting to candy bribery and even though it's only day four, I think this is going to work fairly well.

Here's how it works: First I had to find candy for my "reward" that would be no more than 100 calories. Yeah, fun sized candy bars didn't make the cut. At first I went with a box of valentine heart candies, the kind with words on them. That was okay, but then I found nerds rope, which I love! Now, if I stay in my weight watchers point range (29 points or somewhat over 1450 cal), the next day I can have a nerds rope. When my compulsion confronts the fact that giving in will lose me my nerds rope the next day (an immediate reason to stick to the plan), then my compulsion loses because I really like nerds rope candy! (It's sad that I can be trained just like an animal! :D)

4. Last year (Dec 08), my great uncle died while still in the hospital after knee surgery. Later they found out he had a bad heart and that plus the surgery was the cause. Yesterday, my mom had knee surgery and even though I know a bad heart is just one of those wonky things, I felt like I was holding my breath until this morning - that if she was still alive this morning then she would be okay. Of course she is! It's like that car wreck I had in December. I'm still jumpy when I cross that intersection. Experience can do that to you.

5. I taught my daughter how to do multiplication in kindergarten and she understood the concept right away. In first grade, I taught her division which she also understood. The problem is she kept getting confused which was which. This morning (she's in second grade now), I told her the knocked over plus sign makes the number bigger (add the piles) just like a plus sign, and the minus sign with chickenpox makes the number smaller (make the piles). Hopefully now she won't have a problem remembering.

Did I mention she loves math? :cool:

1. There are applications that will record a game session for you. Don't want to advertise any particular but there are free ones available and they are usually relatively easy to use.

5. Nice mnemonics! We used to have a few with basic electronics while in university (I studied theoretical physics). To remember stuff like P=UI and U=RI you'd remember a Finnish word "puimuri" which means a grain harvester. Then the one everybody recognizes U=ZI which probably needs no further elaboration ;).

Wantonius
01-27-2010, 12:48 PM
You could say that physicists in general have a thing for that type of mnemonics. There are loads of different but I have to say my absolute favorite has to be WIMP, weakly interacting massive particle. It's a candidate for the dark matter problem. I did my masters thesis on dark matter and WIMP still makes me giggle :D. Other giggle inducing is MACHO, massive compact halo object. MACHO is a astronomical object that doesn't emit radiation so it's "dark".

Delilah Rehm
01-27-2010, 04:05 PM
I actually never took physics, if you can believe it. Mostly, I didn't want to have to make the marble machine project. In college, I KLEPed (tested for credit) out of 8 hours of biology and then took chemistry. Poor, lonely physics. ;)

Coreyh2
01-27-2010, 06:47 PM
This is what people say to use to capture in game movies. I've never used it myself.

http://www.fraps.com/

Shadow
01-27-2010, 10:16 PM
I've used Fraps a bit. It works pretty well when capturing video directly from the computer. Delilah was trying to capture video of her playing the game though.

getter77
01-27-2010, 10:36 PM
I've used Fraps a bit. It works pretty well when capturing video directly from the computer. Delilah was trying to capture video of her playing the game though.

That tends to be tougher to manage...hmm...

http://speeddemosarchive.com/kb/Main_Page

At least some relevant bits on here might help, though obviously the intent is vastly different their focus on good A/V quality is bound to have some useful aspects.

Coreyh2
01-28-2010, 06:31 AM
Did jumpy mean flickering because the monitor was a crt?

Shadow
01-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Yes, it was the typical flickering you get when you try to take a video of a crt monitor. We do have an lcd we could switch her to though.

DarkShrike
01-28-2010, 10:38 AM
You got me! Shakes fist at Shadow...

Last night I was in the middle of a download that was ONLY going to take about five minutes to finish. I needed to go to bed but I didnt want to leave the PC up all night so I thought I would visit Kivi's Underworld for a few minutes while waiting.

An hour later... I had to force myself to exit the game and shut down the computer. I CANNOT wait to see what Din's Curse is like!!!

Delilah Rehm
01-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Whoop! DarkShrike is now one of the converted! Hee hee hee. ;)

DarkShrike
01-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Whoop! DarkShrike is now one of the converted! Hee hee hee. ;)

Well especially when you consider my expectations of Din's Curse vs Kivi's Underworld. I want Din's to totally blow my mind :D. Kivi's I always just expected it to be a fun dungeon crawler - it fits that niche quite nicely and I havent even gotten to play other characters yet.