PDA

View Full Version : What's this noise I hear?

Aganazer
01-11-2010, 10:14 AM
I've been reading up on Din's Curse quite a bit lately and it sounds awesome. For years I've been thinking there was a great opportunity to make an action roguelike that has more depth than the Diablo style games, but better graphics than classic roguelikes like Stone Soup and Angband. It looks like this is the game.

Shadow has done an amazing job of providing information about the game and there have been some great discussions on here. I've heard 'noise' being mentioned a few times when it comes to breaking open chests, doors, or other destruction. I am curious about how this will work in Din's Curse.

I am wondering how significantly noise plays into the game mechanics. I have only seen noise used effectively in a few games. D&D Online uses it effectively to balance invisibility and stealth. You will (ironically) see the noise effect on a stealthed MOB if you have a high listen skill. Also, breaking a barrel and then hiding, you might see a MOB or two come run and look around that barrel. The DDO system uses noise as a counter to stealth. Is there anything like this in Din's Curse? Does Din's curse use stealth or invisibility?

Another game that makes effective use of stealth is Fort Zombie by Kerberos. Firing a loud firearm can draw in zombies from a few blocks away potentially overwhelming the player. This sounds a bit closer to how I read about it in Din's Curse. The thing is, it seems more like a survival horror mechanic. In this situation, noise is a mechanic used where you don't want to fight at all if possible. Din's Curse sounds like a game that you'll want to kill everything on a level anyway, so how is making noise a disadvantage?

I read that noise is being used to balance the ability to break down doors or to break open chests as opposed to finding a key or lockpicking. How effective is this at balancing 'breaking' versus 'lockpicking'? Why take lockpicking when you can just break open everything? Are there additional mechanics here like item wear that contribute? Are there some doors and chests that can't be broken open?

Shadow
01-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Din does use a little bit of stealth and noise stuff. Since Din is an action RPG and mostly focused on combat, stealth and noise revolves around that.

Stealth is one of the rogue skills and the purpose isn't really to sneak past monsters (although you can to some extent), but to surprise them so that you get major bonuses to the beginning of a battle.

Noise is kind of the opposite of stealth. If you make noise like banging on a door or chest, you will alert any nearby monsters. There are two disadvantages to this: you might alert more monsters than you can handle at once and the alerted monsters will get a surprise bonus for combat.

Bashing on doors does cause much more durability wear than combat.

Aganazer
01-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks Shadow. Din's Curse never really struck me as a sneak/stealth kind of game which is what got me curious about what role noise might have in the gameplay mechanics.

The surprise bonuses sound interesting. I am guessing that being 'alert' is some kind of temporary buff. If so, it sounds like a good incentive to being at least somewhat stealthy instead of running around smashing and blowing stuff up everywhere. I guess that is what I was getting at. Why would I want to avoid noise? I think you answered that.

Are there ways of dispatching enemies without making a lot of noise or is combat pretty much supposed to always draw a lot of attention?

You confirmed my suspicion that durability wear might contribute to the balance of breaking stuff in addition to noise. So I guess durability is working out well. I remember you were a unsure of how fun it might be. Its a mechanic that I have enjoyed in some games and found to be nothing but a time and money sink in others. Its been interesting in games that actually use the mechanic in many different ways. Things like D&D's rust monsters, finding a broken weapon that you need to repair to use, and breaking stuff causing extra wear.

Shadow
01-11-2010, 07:09 PM
The surprise bonuses sound interesting. I am guessing that being 'alert' is some kind of temporary buff. If so, it sounds like a good incentive to being at least somewhat stealthy instead of running around smashing and blowing stuff up everywhere.

It only lasts a few seconds. Technically it's a debuff on you instead of a buff on the monsters (it simplifies some things this way).