PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing both PC & Mac versions

Shmutt
01-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Hi Soldak! For Din's Curse, will there be an option for those of us who wish to purchase both the PC and Mac versions? :)

Shadow
01-14-2010, 09:27 PM
That's a good question. I haven't figured out a good way to do such a thing yet.

Shmutt
01-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Would be nice if there was! Do consider it.

Just an example: When I purchased World Of Goo from 2DBoy, after the purchase page, I was taken to the download page which contains links to the PC, Mac and Linux versions. That was pretty cool IMO.

kiwistalk
02-04-2010, 07:50 AM
In relation to this topic: is the multiplay cross-platform between PC and Mac?

fab
02-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Hi Soldak! For Din's Curse, will there be an option for those of us who wish to purchase both the PC and Mac versions? :)

Ditto.

For DoP I first bought the Mac version to play on a Macbook. Eventually I tried the demo on my PC and it was a lot smoother, but I couldn't play the one I bought on it. Now I've switched to an iMac as main computer and to be able to run the game from Mac OS and from BootCamp would be awesome.

Shadow
02-04-2010, 09:18 AM
I still have not figured out if we can do anything about the original question, but Mac and Window builds are compatible with each other in multiplayer.

Shmutt
02-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Ditto.

For DoP I first bought the Mac version to play on a Macbook. Eventually I tried the demo on my PC and it was a lot smoother, but I couldn't play the one I bought on it. Now I've switched to an iMac as main computer and to be able to run the game from Mac OS and from BootCamp would be awesome.

Yeah, I'll probably be pre-ordering the Windows version too. My gaming desktop has a 24" monitor that will be awesome for Din's Curse. And I'll just Bootcamp it on my MacBook.

Of course, I would very much prefer the option of not rebooting each time I wanna play on-the-go though.

Kruztee
02-04-2010, 06:11 PM
I'd just like to chime in here with one comment, if I may.

If I as a Mac gamer were looking to get more PC games (especially indies) ported to Mac OS, and I was also wanting to play the game in PC, I'd definately be shelling out for two licences. Why? Because Mac ports take time (and therefore money) to produce. If you want to see more of them in the future then only by buying them will you encourage more developers to support the Mac OS. Sure, some developers will bundle PC/Mac versions for the one price, and that's cool if they do, but we probably shouldn't expect that it will become the norm. Even if that were the case for this game, I'd still be buying a copy of the Mac OS version. Money talks, and there's no better way to encourage more Mac native releases than by showing that it's a viable market

:)

kiwistalk
02-06-2010, 01:45 AM
@Kruztee
Very true. However, only the Mac stubborn make Mac-only games since the Windows gaming market is theoretically ginormous; in reality only a larger installed base. Still, a hybrid release for the price of one would be a welcome change to the ubiquitous "one license per platform" mentality of the software world.

@Shadow
Thanks for the quick reply and good news. One never can tell, especially with the mainstream releases.