PDA

View Full Version : Friday Five Valentine

Delilah Rehm
02-03-2010, 01:44 PM
1. I'm not writing these on Friday anymore because when everyone leaves for the weekend, no one is chatty. Hence, Wednesday is a good day, though it's missing the catchy phrasing.

2. I don't have pics yet, but I took my Depths of Peril box-purse on a test run to my writers group. I discovered that it is *small*. It can not hold much at all! It should be fine for ConDFW Feb 12-14 in Dallas though.

3. I have to run my son around Saturday morning for band stuff, and I've decided that's when I'll buy the yarn for my soldak amigurumi (stuffed animal). I've been thinking a lot about either the scavenger or the plaguebringer (especially how I'd make the hole on top of its shell). Then the rest of Saturday and Sunday I'm going to crochet my fingers off! ;)

4. Have any of you heard about this Amazon/Macmillan brouhaha? Charles Stross (http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2010/01/amazon-macmillan-an-outsiders.html) has the clearest blog I've read about it, if your curious. Basically, during negotiation with a giant book publisher (with many houses including one of my favorites, Tor), (on Friday) Amazon removed the buy buttons from every book published under Macmillan (I've read that's about 1/6 of the market). Tobias Buckell (http://www.tobiasbuckell.com/2010/01/31/why-my-books-are-no-longer-for-sale-via-amazon/) talks about production costs and estimates book printing costs to be about 10% of the sell price - so the price of e-books really does matter.

When Amazon bought a gaming portal I can't think of the name of, they wanted to drop soldak games to $5 a pop (we get a percent rather than a wholesale payment, which can lead to screwy things). We can't make a living off that! We're still a struggling noob company. So of course, we had to yank our games from them. :( It sucked and it was scary too, because it screwed everyone else we did business with (other portals and our Depths of Peril retail deal) as well as our direct sales. Luckily, they responded quickly to our request and didn't kill us as a game producing entity.

I'm feeling super sorry for new and midlist authors under Macmillan who have books coming out right now, because the first few weeks of sales (and to a lesser degree, total sales) determine what stores will order in the future, which effects how much the publishers will even print, which not only can kill a book series but can essentially kill a writer's career under their own name.

In the end, Macmillan and Amazon won't suffer much for all of this ruckus, but some authors' careers are going to be heartbreakingly flushed down the toilet. If I'd finished and sold Vampire Planet a year or two ago, one of those authors could have been me.

So yeah, Amazon has two strikes in my book. If most writers didn't make a poor living (and from what I've seen, don't do it unless you love it! Teachers often make more.), then I'd think about going indie like Steven has with games. Problem is, after paying for cover art and good copy editing (like the professionals do and I'd insist on), I'd probably spend more money than I'd ever make!

Yeah... I'm still working on figuring out this marketing thing.

5. tick... tick... tick... (:eek:)

incognoscente
02-03-2010, 03:29 PM
5. tick... tick... tick... (:eek:)
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb?

DarkShrike
02-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Delilah,

Check out these folks. (from a publishing story or book pov anyway)

http://www.yarddogpress.com/

Delilah Rehm
02-03-2010, 04:26 PM
I've bought books from them. :-) The owners go to ConDFW and FenCon in Dallas.

Steven and I both thought Selina Rosen's Strange Robbie was a very, very good book! It's science fiction with super powers and a mysterious conspiracy wrapped around aliens.

From what I can tell, authors who are published in small press absolutely don't come close to making a living off writing. The distribution is tiny compared to a major publishing house. In most cases (not talking about Yard Dog here) you can top that off with less professional copy editing (though there is some quality control), and often not that great (I.E.-cheap) cover art.

Delilah Rehm
02-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb?

Some days you WANT a bomb. The closer it is until the bomb goes, the slower the seconds become. Crazy slow.

Can you hear it?

DarkShrike
02-03-2010, 04:37 PM
I've bought books from them. :-) The owners go to ConDFW and FenCon in Dallas.

Steven and I both thought Selina Rosen's Strange Robbie was a very, very good book! It's science fiction with super powers and a mysterious conspiracy wrapped around aliens.

From what I can tell, authors who are published in small press absolutely don't come close to making a living off writing. The distribution is tiny compared to a major publishing house. In most cases (not talking about Yard Dog here) you can top that off with less professional copy editing (though there is some quality control), and often not that great (I.E.-cheap) cover art.

They probably dont make much of a living from it - but yard dog does seem to make their circuit of the conventions. Its all good exposure. Besides, Selina Rosen is an absolute hoot! :D I always look forward to catching her for some irreverent conversation during our yearly science-fiction conventions.

Delilah Rehm
02-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Which conventions do you attend?

getter77
02-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Amazon really does seem to be having issues nowadays trying to expand their grasp/ebook woes. You'd think they'd just do the simple thing via increasing their stock of offerings and not bother to rock the boat but...

incognoscente
02-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Some days you WANT a bomb.
Haha! #5 was kinda obvious, but I couldn't resist throwing in a Batman: the Movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060153/) quote.

DarkShrike
02-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Which conventions do you attend?

Well we have Conquest in May every year and then occasionally I'll go to Contraception - though that one is too close to the holidays for me.

This year I'll be heading to gencon in august. I skipped last year and found that I'm not, by any stretch of the imagination, an avid P&P RPG person. I still missed the event, syncing up with people I can only see once a year, and just all the people having fun for one weekend in a very large gathering.

Delilah Rehm
02-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Ah. I've heard of those cons, but never been. I'd like to do more out-of-town (Dallas) cons someday.

Batman is awesome. Do you read The Devil's Panties (http://devilspanties.keenspot.com/) comics? The main character always wears a batman shirt.

Looks like a lot of people are playing the Din's Curse beta. :) Yay!

Delilah Rehm
02-11-2010, 02:53 PM
1. OH MY GOD, THE SNOW! I woke up and it's snowing, 2-3 inches on the ground. It's after lunch and it's still snowing... It's supposed to snow all day. :eek: This never happens in Texas!

Steven and I took our dog (white golden retriever/great pyrenees mix) who loves snow for a long walk... while it was snowing. :) The kids still had school, but the little one was 20 minutes late due to me "saving" the good snow on the car from being wasted in the road. Umm... I seemed to have lost my ice scraper. I think it's in the big pile of snow on top of our recycling container.

When the kids get home, we're are going to make a snowman! I plan on taking lots of pictures and video. (Did I mention this never happens here?)

2. I was supposed to go to my Mom's today (she's recovering from knee replacement surgery and we were going to work on genealogy), but no. I can't be driving two hours in the snow. So...

3. I'm still working on my soldak amigurumi. I've restarted the top shell of the plaguebringer 3 times, finally got it right but it's bigger than I intended. I'm working on the bottom now, then will need a head, tail and 4 legs. Yeah, I may not get this done in time for ConDFW tomorrow.

4. And can I go to the con with all of this snow? I'm afraid I'll have to leave for home early on Friday to avoid ice on the roads after sunset. However, I'm staying in a friend's room Saturday night, so I can enjoy all of Saturday and Sunday. (Did I mention ELIZABETH MOON is going to be there?!?!?!)

5. Talk about an easy Friday 5 this week! You guys have been wonderful, lighting up the forum with so many comments and really helping Steven smooth out Din's Curse. :) Sometimes I struggle to keep up with reading all of the threads. Just awesome.

getter77
02-11-2010, 03:17 PM
1. I've now a rottenly annoying cold. Kb/mouse manipulation while contending with sneezing/feeling rather drained is SO not a recipe for productivity. :(

2. There's is now a new champion for best frozen pepperoni pizza: Home Run Inn's Uncured Pepperoni pizza. None shall ever convince me that I'd have not been in worse shape today had I not devoured that last night for dinner. However, I've found a Kroger in my area that actually carries the somewhat notorious Donatos pepperoni pizza---so we shall see!

3. Wind! We've had crazy wind around here(20-40mph gusts at times) in GA while the folk of the north contend with snow.

4. Din's Patch .902. That'll help nicely. :cool:

5. Dinners is a mystery for tonight though....perhaps one of my Quiznos concoctions?

Aganazer
02-11-2010, 03:30 PM
3. Wind! We've had crazy wind around here(20-40mph gusts at times) in GA while the folk of the north contend with snow.

That wind here in Marietta GA has been crazy!

Oh hey, be careful on the roads around GA for the next few weeks. My first timer driver Asian wife is working on her driver's license. The roads have just become a little more dangerous!

Delilah Rehm
02-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Luckily, we don't have much wind at the moment. Otherwise, I'd stay inside.

Snow + wind = too cold for me, unless I'm snow skiing.

Tonight, we're having lasagna and Italian bread. Another bonus for me- I don't need to go shopping for food. :D It's supposed to drop below freezing at about 5, at which point all of the slush on the road is going to freeze.

Ice on roads + Texas drivers = disaster!

GeorgiaBoy
02-11-2010, 08:20 PM
In Georgia, they are already cancelling school without a flake on the ground. People are already hitting the grocery stores. We are expecting 1-4 inches here...Next thing you know, they'll blow the storm sirens.

getter77
02-11-2010, 10:07 PM
In Georgia, they are already cancelling school without a flake on the ground. People are already hitting the grocery stores. We are expecting 1-4 inches here...Next thing you know, they'll blow the storm sirens.

That was the power of the Great Blizzard of '93...blew some bricks off our chimney and had me eating several meals out of a fireplace due to loss of all utility.

Kruztee
02-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Well, it's a balmy 90 degrees here, though we're expecting thunderstorms this arvo. I'm having trouble keeping my PC cool with all this Din's Curse that I've been playing ... ahh, I mean testing, yeah, testing.

<best southern drawl> Y'all need to come downunder for a vacation.:D

Delilah Rehm
02-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Enjoying your summer, are you Kruztee?

I heard we got 11.4 inches of snow. Unheard of! I'm stiff from making snow creations in the yard yesterday... But this never happens! I can't waste it! I made a giant bunny (who Steven says looks evil) with a ramp... err... I mean weird looking tail. (Hey, snow will not defeat me. The ramp was the only way to get the middle part in place. Why yes, I am the boss of snow.) A fort with a sculpted cat, bunny and snowman on the thick walls. It snowed more during the night, so I need to dust the cat off for it to be recognizable.

What shall I make today? I want to make something big in the front yard. Turtle? Alligator? Cobra?

I'm not sure how I'm going to do it and go to ConDFW this afternoon, that is if the roads are agreeable. Aggh! And I didn't finish the amigurumi or anything. Snow is so distracting! :D

Wantonius
02-13-2010, 05:48 AM
It's been a funny old winter. Yesterday they had so much snow in Rome that they had to close down everything first time in a couple of decades. They seem to report such incidents (also Washington being closed down because of snow) with a sense of glee here. Now you know what it's like to live like Finns do every winter ;).

Maybe you need to build your own Largest Snow Castle there :D.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SnowCastle_of_Kemi

Oh, and it was -36 Celsius here a couple of weeks ago. That's -30 Fahrenheitish. Usually it's that cold atleast a couple of days every year.

Delilah Rehm
02-19-2010, 10:52 AM
1. It's Friday... Yeah. That's a sign of how crazy things have been since last Friday. And, I'm not even getting to my own writing this week. *sadness*

2. The snow was great, and I didn't waste it. I built a giant bunny, a sculpted cat and rabbit, a small valentine's snowman with a sculpted heart, and a life size shark. I have a picture of the shark on twitter.

3. The roads cleared to wet slush, so I did make it to ConDFW, which was awesome. I have social anxiety which often leaves me with a feeling of dread before being around and interacting with large groups. I was too busy to feel it before this con, but I still used energy to navigate that situation, which meant I had no energy left to be a normal person around the amazing Elizabeth Moon.

Luckily, I had an insightful moment which made up for my fan girl behavior (though I didn't follow her around or be too crazy). She said her novel, Remnant Population tanked in sales, but I absolutely love that book and told her sales must not indicate quality. I told her Octavia Butler is also one of my top three favorite authors and Remnant Population reminded me of Octavia's books. Elizabeth Moon said she'd wanted the same cover artist that Octavia had, but couldn't get him. Wow. Pretty neat.

It was an freaking glorious convention. I had a lot of fun, deepened my friendships with several people, began friendships with several acquaintances, and met really cool new people (hi Cheryl, Ken and cheerleader... hope you've liked our demos!).

There wasn't any wacko craziness this con, though I kept my eyes open for it, but as usual, the parties rocked. I always have such a blast cutting loose and being ridiculously silly.

4. I slept like the dead for 14 hours Sunday night, woke up to a ringing phone and a vague memory I was supposed to go to my Mom's house. That's the only reason I got up after 14 hours of sleep. Tuesday I caught up on weekend chores, Wednesday I updated pictures, Thursday I watched four weeks of the Daily Show online (I was rebelling). Last night while clearing out email I remembered I'm supposed to be editing my Dad's non-fiction book that I put off for two weeks before ConDFW because I was busy. :eek: I planned to work on some more genealogy stuff before I go to my Mom's tomorrow, but maybe today will share that with editing. Hopefully, I'll get back to my own writing next week.

5. Because of said busyness, I haven't cooked all week. I have no idea what I'm eating for lunch because we're out of beans (normally, I have nachos). I really need to make stew and soak beans, but ugg. I'm not sleepy but I'm exhausted. Does that make sense?

And now you're caught up! ;)

Wantonius
02-20-2010, 05:36 PM
2. The snow was great, and I didn't waste it. I built a giant bunny, a sculpted cat and rabbit, a small valentine's snowman with a sculpted heart, and a life size shark. I have a picture of the shark on twitter.

That shark was awesome! (I'm assuming that it's the one at this forum). It must have been 25 years since I've done anything similar and we do have real winters here. Maybe I'm jaded.

Delilah Rehm
02-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Thanks! Yeah... I wonder how excited I'd be if I was used to a lot of snow. It's just here in North Texas, we *never* have as much snow as we did Valentine's weekend. :)

Delilah Rehm
02-25-2010, 11:10 AM
1. I'm currently obsessed with the Daily Show. Jon Stewart is so funny, and I love how he pokes fun at the absurdity of the American political system.

2. Girl Scout cookies are trying to destroy my new found peace with food. I haven't struggled with compulsions to eat in several weeks, but after two days of girl scout cookies... Yeah. I want to eat them. I want to eat them right now. Which leads me to believe that white flour, bready, processed foods lead me to over eat through random compulsions. Hence, I must not eat girl scout cookies today and get back to eating yummy stew regularly. I will win my war with calories! :p

3. I haven't been working on my own writing this week (yeah, I know! What's up with that?), but the schedule crazies and outside commitments shall soon end. Yay! I'm finishing up editing the first bit of my Dad's weight loss management book. It's got a lot of good content and I wonder if he'll submit to major publishers or self publish. I hope he does try for a major publisher because that way leads to a wider distribution.

4. I am so ready for this weekend because it's the first in awhile that I don't have booked to the hilt! :D I can actually do weekend chores on the weekend and devote next week to editing Careful Crazy.

5. My dog (great pyrenees/golden retriever mix) is starting to shed though it's still a bit cold to shave her. Since I'm free this weekend, maybe I'll do it then and take pics.

Yes, I owe you guys some pics - my Depths of Peril box purse and... the Russian art for the Depths of Peril and Kivi's Underworld covers. ;) Soon my pretties, soon...

Wantonius
02-26-2010, 01:18 PM
1. I'm currently obsessed with the Daily Show. Jon Stewart is so funny, and I love how he pokes fun at the absurdity of the American political system.

Daily Show rules. I was ever so sad when Comedy Central decided that those full episodes aren't available outside North America for free. I love that the show actually expects something from the viewer. Sort of deliberately excluding the ignoramuses :D.

Delilah Rehm
03-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Wantonius, can you get The Daily Show online? I watch all of my tv online these days. :)

getter77
03-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Daily Show rules. I was ever so sad when Comedy Central decided that those full episodes aren't available outside North America for free. I love that the show actually expects something from the viewer. Sort of deliberately excluding the ignoramuses :D.

Search on Reddit for Daily Show pieces...specifics escape me but virtually every single time some folks chime in with a few other links so Canadians can watch so as to follow the discussion.