PDA

View Full Version : My First Impressions

SharpCarlos
02-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Played down to the 5th level of what seems to be a 6 level dungeon. First, some actual bugs:

1) When I started the game, a bunch of text in the title screen (along the bottom, and the bits of text above and below "Depths of Peril" in the lower left corner) had the characters replaced with horizontal lines, sort of like this: ||||||. Then I went into the options menu, and the roll-over text explaining what I was pointing at was doing the same thing. But then I switched the graphics from the default resolution to my desktop resolution (1920x1200, my monitor's native resolution), and the problem went away.
2) I switched my mouse scroll wheel to control the switching of my right click skills, and then tried to zoom in and out with the "page up" and "page down" keys, but THEY were controlling my right-click skill as well. Switching the mouse-wheel to zoom switched those two keys back to zoom as well, so it seems the "page up" and "page down" are kind of locked into the scroll wheel's function.

And now random thoughts, including minor spoilers (like mentioning a specific kind of trap that was fun to run into):

1) I love the moody music that plays over the title screen.
2) I wish I could play as a hardcore character right away.
3) Seems weird that cycling through the male versions of the character classes shows them in different armor, but doing the same with the female versions only changes their weapons.
4) Combat feels good, but I expected that after DoP and Kivi.
5) Most of the townspeople have their back to me ("me" the player, not my character). I think this is because my town was generated with the "town square" way up at the north edge of the map, and everybody defaults to facing it?
6) The way the building roofs appear and disappear seems awkward. Like, I wish I could mouse over and see somebody's name, even if I'm too far away for the disappearing roof to reveal them. Haven't run into this yet, but do those people ever have quests? Will I be unable to see the quest question mark unless I approach those people (because of the roof)?
7) I wish Din were more "god-like" in appearance. Like, glowing, or transparent, or something. Right now he just seems... tall.
8) Heh heh. I let an assassin run around town too long, and he killed the warmaster, who had given me most of my quests! Eventually a quest opened up to hire a new warmaster (very nice touch, by the way), but THAT quest was down on the bottom level of the dungeon! Not that I'm complaining; this is exactly the sort of "actions have consequences" thing I was hoping for in the game. I love that the consequences were real, and not just a 10 minute inconvenience.
9) Shrink trap = awesome.
10) The two handed sword I've been using is being shown as wielded by just one hand. Is that a bug, or just a limitation of how much time you could put into animations and stuff?
11) Knowing your love for explosions, it's nerve-wracking chopping my way through a densely packed collection of barrels. Gotta make sure I start keeping some of those molotov cocktail things on hand to clear that stuff away...

A lot of that sounded like nit-picky whining, but nit-picking is exactly what it is. Overall, I'm having a blast. The monsters are varied and interesting, loot is fun to pick up and sort through (I've always loved the "busy identifying an item" sound effect from DoP), I've already seen some cool "living world" interactions (monsters fighting amongst themselves and setting off chain reaction explosions in the process), and the dynamic quests are truly interesting.

It'll take some more play to see how the randomization works (I'm anxious to start a new character and see how the world is different), and a LOT more play to suss out the subtleties of the various character builds. But, based on what I've seen so far: you did it. I've said for years that my dream game would be an action-RPG like DIABLO but with modern graphics and way more randomization. Sure seems like you've succeeded in creating that.

SharpCarlos
02-03-2010, 11:30 PM
On playing a bit more, I see that my complaint about the two-handed sword showing as one-handed was unfounded. It actually looks fine, EXCEPT when I use the particular skill I was using a lot (Precision Strike?). The animation for it must be the same for one-handed and two-handed weapons. Which I'm okay with: if you're cool enough to know some specialized attack skill, maybe you ARE doing that particular attack one-handed.

Also, I finished the quest to bring in a new warmaster and he accepted and gave me credit for ALL the quests the previous warmaster had given me (and some I don't even remember seeing). This was in spite of the fact that I had "declined" them to remove them from my quest journal after I thought I had basically no chance of ever turning them in. It was a little weird to just keep clicking that guy and getting quest rewards (I think I earned nearly a whole level's worth of experience points in about 30 seconds). Not sure if that's a problem or not. It could be that cutting off access to those quests would have left me in a cul-de-sac for that town's quest chain, so maybe that's why it cut me some slack.

Finally: shortly after that I managed to save that town, and start a new one, and just as I had hoped, not only was the town laid out differently, but it had a completely different look, and some additional vendors who weren't in the previous town. And the look and feel of the dungeon was all new as well. Very cool.

Shadow
02-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Haven't run into this yet, but do those people ever have quests? Will I be unable to see the quest question mark unless I approach those people (because of the roof)?

7) I wish Din were more "god-like" in appearance. Like, glowing, or transparent, or something. Right now he just seems... tall.

The normal townspeople do have quests here and there. You will probably have to go into the houses to find those quests.

I've tried a few things to make Din more god-like but haven't found anything that looks good.

Oh, for the completing quests that you don't have: that works like that on purpose so the world and the quests don't get out of sync especially when you are playing multiplayer.

SharpCarlos
02-04-2010, 08:26 PM
I think I've found an unbeatable quest, and it's from Din, so I think it might be a key quest (is that how you know? I'm with the others in another thread who wish the main "save the town" quests were more obviously labeled). The quest name is "Cure the curse" and part of the quest text reads "Go find 3 FakeImp s" (including the space before the final "s"). What's happening is that a lot of the imps in the level are actually mimics, and I think that's what the quest is telling me to go after. Attacking them, of course, causes them to turn into mimics, and killing the mimics doesn't give me any credit towards completing the quest. I've basically cleared the level, and then reset the fog of war and starting exploring again, but I'm pretty convinced that the quest generator happened to choose "imps who are actually mimics" as my target, and so I think I'm hosed for this town. Wonder if I'd get credit if I could somehow one-shot those imp/mimics?

Shadow
02-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Yeah, that's a broken quest. I could have sworn that I took changelings into account correctly but apparently not.

DeathKnight1728
02-05-2010, 08:41 PM
I've noticed one bug today. When you create a new character or start on one of your characters; there is a small chance that the screen will go black. I've waited a few minutes and it doesn't go away. Luckily, its a small chance. Just wanted to bring that to your attention.

Desticato
02-07-2010, 02:04 PM
I've tried a few things to make Din more god-like but haven't found anything that looks good.

How about a silly hat? Something with bells or even a propeller would be nice. Even better--an epic piece of headgear from the game but Bedazzled-to-the-max: stars, unicorns and maybe a puppy or kitten adorning it.

Kruztee
02-07-2010, 09:42 PM
ummmm... yeah, what Des said:)