PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty wall

Kruztee
02-05-2010, 10:16 AM
I know that someone has posted this issue elsewhere, but it probably needs a thread of it's own.

I've currently got a rogue running at level 14. I've saved a couple of towns now, but if I start a new town at my level, I can't seem to kill anything. I realise that my build and gear have a lot to do with that, but I'm getting one shotted by dark elf mages. I'm literally having to kill one monster (or half kill it) run back out to town, heal up and then run back down again. The first few levels up to about 8 were super fun, but I've got to say that the difficulty wall at about level 12 is killing the fun a bit. I was lucky enough to have Brianna's entire set drop for me from a Blood Wampir, and I'm wearing that with the exception of the hat and the cape (?) because of level restrictions. My weapon is a 8.7 dps dagger that needs upgrading without a doubt, but sheer survivabillity is really what's holding me back at the moment. If I start a town at level 6 or 8, then I'm getting a good game difficulty-wise, but the gear and experience are pitiful.

Perhaps it's just melee characters that are experiencing this. My warrior and priest both did at about the same level (around 10). The ridiculously high respawn rate of the monsters is not helping. I methodically attempt to clear a small patch of the dungeon (around the steps) but the monsters are literally respawning as fast as I can kill them. I don't know. Being able to hire mercenaries in town would help a lot, because in Depths of Peril at about the same level the same thing happens, but a good recruit can make all the difference there.

Is anyone else having similar problems? I'm open to suggestions and can post a character dump if needed, but I get the feeling that some serious mid-game progression balancing might be needed. Levels 1-5 almost felt too easy, then from 6-10 it was just right, after 10 it's been a real grind, with the experience debt nearly always active.

Wantonius
02-05-2010, 11:16 AM
It seems to be a problem with pure melee characters. My gladiator/healer (at 13) just about survives and I was lucky enough that one decent artifact axe dropped so my DPS is considerably higher than 8.7.

Shadow
02-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm definitely going to be looking at this btw.

incognoscente
02-05-2010, 12:39 PM
My gut feeling is that when difficulty increases, the game turns on all the faucets which results in too high an increase in difficulty. If the game chose one or two things to make difficult at a time, it might be more pleasant into the higher character levels.

If difficulty comes primarily from quest/event timers, monster count, monster level, and food prices, then limiting the game to only making two of those difficult at a time until level 20 or so (per Normal/Champion/etc.) might work?

As a player, I might have one world with cheap food and lots of time to get where I want but have huge hordes of powerful enemies. Or I might get large groups of weak critters but have to haul ass to get things done. Still varied, still interesting, but not as insane as things are now.

incognoscente
02-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Monster thoughts: Dark Elves, especially Rogues and Mercenaries, seem to be far more difficult (in swarms at least) than most other creatures in their level. The highest-level Orcs (Gore clan? I forget, sorry) are the second-worst offender. Third worst offender is the undead? Siren: too many hitpoints for something that annoying.

Most of the other enemies I've hit have seemed just about right for the character level at the time. Creeping Broods sometimes seem to do a bit too much damage, though, considering they like to gang up like they do.

Wantonius
02-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Monster thoughts: Dark Elves, especially Rogues and Mercenaries, seem to be far more difficult (in swarms at least) than most other creatures in their level. The highest-level Orcs (Gore clan? I forget, sorry) are the second-worst offender. Third worst offender is the undead? Siren: too many hitpoints for something that annoying.

Most of the other enemies I've hit have seemed just about right for the character level at the time. Creeping Broods sometimes seem to do a bit too much damage, though, considering they like to gang up like they do.

I'm running a Sorcerer/Defender for a test and it seems that those multi-attack spells do really make a difference. But as Shadow said, he's looking at it so it's all good :D.

Kreb
02-07-2010, 02:56 AM
I'll echo the difficulty wall. I don't know, maybe I'm not a good player or something, but I seem to run into a serious wall after level 10. I think you might want to consider making a wimpy difficulty setting for more casual (read: awful) players like me. I think I'd prefer a more casual respawn rate too.

My overall impressions are:

(1) I haven't encountered any technical bugs yet. That, itself, is a pretty amazing feat among today's game makers.
(2) The combat seems pretty smooth, but a little unintuitive to me. I guess I'm used to Depths where I can just click on a monster and watch my character hack it to pieces. It feels like I'm going a lot more clicking this time around and I'm not sure I like that.
(3) The town feels empty, particularly compared to Depths. This is weird since there are both more people and the towns are larger.
(4) Hybrid class system is awesome. I love it. Its the best implementation of a system that is both easy to use, and yet allows enormous customization, that I've ever seen.

Overall, I don't know. This isn't a bad game, but I'm not sure its a really good game either. Depths was a great game, and I never tried Kivi's, but something about this feels underdeveloped. I guess maybe I just miss the frenemy dynamic with the other covenants.

ShaggyMoose
02-07-2010, 10:19 AM
(3) The town feels empty, particularly compared to Depths. This is weird since there are both more people and the towns are larger.
I guess since these towns are generated while in DoP it was hand crafted. Difficult to get a polished feel to generated instances. Maybe there could be some larger set pieces that are themselves pre-built with more detail?