PDA

View Full Version : Had to abandon a town after 6 hours... depressed

Aganazer
02-06-2010, 06:06 PM
I knew from the start that saving this town would be tough. I kept hearing about lots of activity around level 5-6. I probably had 10 town attacks before I could clear out the top two levels. 3/4 of my townsfolk were dead. I thought for sure that it would be over within the first two hours.

The town attacks slowed down, but my vendors were dead. At one point in time I had items scattered all over town, I was out of pots and food with no way to replace them, and my gear was getting worn out. When I finally replaced a merchant I was in much better shape and it looked like I would be able to save the town after all.

Up to that point the town scenario was awesome. Then I got to the the botton two levels. My quest log was getting thin so I thought I was close to the finish line. Just a simple dark elf uprising to go. Okay those Dark Elf rogues are way too tough but I got through them. I turned in the last quest I had. There were no more quests in town at all. The town wasn't saved yet! I think my apothocary was still dead and no one gave me a quest to find another one.

So I explored a bit and found a skeleton asking me to kill the fakeimp. Then I got a quest to kill Nax on the same level from a plan. Then an uprising started on a previous level. I simply couldn't overcome the respawn fast enough to explore the whole level even though I had been through the level before during the dark elf uprising.

I was level 12 and the highest level MOBs were level 10. I was playing a Trickster/Archer with stealth and Shock Bolt as my main skills. It was a solid character and did well right up to the end.

A few notes to summarize since I like numbered lists!

1. Exploding arrow is broken. It shoots, costs mana, and makes an explosion but doesn't hurt anything.

2. Dark Elf Rogue poison is too strong. It was ticking for 18 which was about 6 times more damage than most poisons up to that point.

3. I don't like it when things happen on levels that I have already visited and cleaned up. It makes the scenario feel grindy. Ocassionally maybe, but it seems to happen too frequently when you're close to finishing a town. Those last few clean up missions aren't very fun.

An uprising on a cleared level doesn't make much sense to me, but if a boss decides to move in and starts recruiting then it makes sense. A limited respawn focused on a boss fight would make return visits rewarding instead of facing a full respawn and having another kill quest dejavu visit on a fully revealed map.

ShaggyMoose
02-06-2010, 06:13 PM
2. Dark Elf Rogue poison is too strong. It was ticking for 18 which was about 6 times more damage than most poisons up to that point.
Yeah, these guys are aggravating. A couple of hits and you have to find a liftstone in seconds or die. If there is a mob at the lifestone, you are as good as dead as well.

DeathKnight1728
02-06-2010, 06:40 PM
I have a somewhat similar story. I had a town that seemed really easy from the start. I'm told by din that the main bad guys are all on lvl 1. So i figure ok, i'm fighting on lvl 1; it's from the start it cant be that bad. When i get there, i'm killin monsters to my hearts content; when all of a sudden i go into a room, step on a switch; now im on the 5th lvl!

The monsters are 3 lvls higher than me. But amazingly; i just couldnt die. However im completely lost and trying to get back to the town. I got to lvl 3 while fighting for my life; but as that happened all the town died.

It was fun and annoying at the same time because it was random and put a challenge in front of me.
Moral of the story=Don't step on the switches!

Cadfan
02-06-2010, 07:13 PM
I think the game needs something to keep certain crisis events from overlapping too much. Falling into an unexplored lower level and fighting your way home is pretty awesome. Falling into an unexplored lower level and having the town raided and killed off causing you to lose is not cool.

Lyranaar
02-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Yes, we had this problem as well.

Perhaps a one way portalling stone/spell with a cool down of a few minutes would be a nice thing to have. If a strong monster starts raiding the town, there is often not much time to save it.

Flailsnail
02-06-2010, 07:24 PM
I actually enjoy how the events can keep piling on the way they occasionally do. It lends a certain degree of fear to each scenario. You never know when a chain of things is going to go wrong.

While it can be annoying to have it happen in the later stages of a town, it's still entertaining at the same time. Gives a sense of urgency to get things rolling, while at the same time wanting to keep close to a town gate just in case. If it's changed, I hope it's only toned down a bit. The extra challenge is brutal, but kind of just par for the course.