PDA

View Full Version : Feedback 900/901

Archon
02-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Initial Thoughts

Just got done playing the Din's Curse BETA for the first time and I am impressed. I was very happy to see main menu screen in Din's Curse get a much needed overhaul from the previous two games. The title screen is nicely animated and looks to be higher in resolution than Kivi's and DoP also the window borders are a nice touch and look much better than before. One of the best aspects of Din's, Depths Of Peril, and to a slightly lesser extent Kivi's Underworld is the pen and paper / turn-based RPG feel to the games. Very few hack n' slash games capture any sense of depth to the encounter and the Soldak games are the exception to the rule with the player noticing every critical, parry, and dodge. With the environment playing a factor in Din's the game feels much more RPG'ish than even DoP.

A bunch of random musings after 6 or so hours of play.

.900 Feedback / Thoughts

- I found a secret leading to nowhere after clicking on some light blue glaciers / rocks at the end of the hall there was another solid wall behind the secret.

- The game can be quite punishing to the player especially after the first couple of towns. I get my butt handed to me quite often by bosses that are able to wipe the floor with me after a couple of hits and the mobs respawn a bit too often which can be painful when I have to fight my way back to those boss creatures. (I know your working on the balance issues from reading other posts.)

- Customizing your avatar would be a nice touch for future Soldak games. Even starting out giving the player a option of just three skin tones and four or five different hair styles per gender would go a long way.

- Thank you for making the world map blips a bit larger. It really helps me out since my eyes are quite poor.

- The game runs really well on my older system. Kinda worried after reading about those fog effects although they don't slow down the game like I thought they would and I really enjoy all the little touches like flies swarming around the dead bodies, bats flying through the caves and little scorpions scurrying across the floor.

Early .901 Beta Patch Feedback

- Was able to complete "kill 4 big pixie sisters" quest on harrowing hole level 1 when the quest was assigned for harrowing hole level 2. Not sure if this is a bug or the way it's intended to be.

- On the setup world screen when creating a new character the set level number bar on the left side of the screen is set to far at the bottom of the screen where the numbers run past the window border.

- I have a two (duplicates) "sprites uprising" quests in the Warmaster's quest dialog box in town that I can accept. Their are two messages in my text box that say "Destroying the evil artifact has led to an uprising of Sprites in Zealous Catacomb lvl 1." repeated back to back after I turned in the evil artifact quest in town. After completion of the "sprites uprising" quest from the Warmaster in town I got double the reward since the game counted it as two completions even though I only accepted one of the two initially.

- Unable to delete characters after verifying the name in the box. All three of my characters use random names that the game assigns.

- Unable to complete "Avenge the death of Tracy" ghost quest. I killed the monster before accepting the quest and unable to get the reward from the ghost.

Shadow
02-08-2010, 09:42 AM
- Was able to complete "kill 4 big pixie sisters" quest on harrowing hole level 1 when the quest was assigned for harrowing hole level 2. Not sure if this is a bug or the way it's intended to be.

This is intentional and really depends on the specifics of the quest. If it is something like an uprising, you have to do it on the correct level. If it is a general kill some monsters to prove yourself then it doesn't really matter where they are.

Flailsnail
02-08-2010, 01:36 PM
- Unable to delete characters after verifying the name in the box. All three of my characters use random names that the game assigns.

Are you typing in the character name, or typing in delete? In order to delete a character you don't verify their name, you simply type delete. the way you describe it, it sounds like you may have inadvertently misread the deletion text.

Archon
02-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Thanks Flailsnail, I must of misread the text :o . I was trying to type in the names of my characters.

Lyranaar
02-09-2010, 06:01 AM
Some minor stuff:
Text of the skill Prayer: "renew faith faster" should be renew Mana faster (Leftover from DoP I guess)
Reported this one already but not properly:
When mouse hovering over a Dead Body the text there says "Open..." instead of Search. If you click you get the correct Searching status bar.

Some suggestions:
Perhaps the Levelup sound could get a volume boost. In comparison to the other sound it'S pretty quiet, especially as this is one of THOSE events. :)
Perhaps the Souldstone on the Map could be coloured differently (nice deep blue or something). On some Mapbackgrounds it is hard to see if you are having trouble with green/red colours.

Minor bug:
After solving a rescue Quest it became a kill quest (renegade). After this we were able to get rewarded for rescuing and 2(!) times killing. Perhaps the Warmaster just liked our face.

DeathKnight1728
02-09-2010, 02:39 PM
I tested out the skill Disarm traps today. It works pretty well. The only problem is that:

1) it doesn't give experience when you disarm a trap.

and

2) It doesn't add to your perception on the character screen. (I tested it)

Flailsnail
02-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Thanks Flailsnail, I must of misread the text :o . I was trying to type in the names of my characters.

Don't feel too bad, I did the same thing at first. I had to reread the text before I figured it out. :)

Shadow
02-09-2010, 03:27 PM
2) It doesn't add to your perception on the character screen. (I tested it)

The only place that shows perception on the character screen is the intelligence highlight. That is just showing you how much perception you get from your intelligence not your total perception.

Aganazer
02-09-2010, 03:57 PM
The only place that shows perception on the character screen is the intelligence highlight. That is just showing you how much perception you get from your intelligence not your total perception.

I'd like to see some advanced stats somewhere on the character screen even if it needs to be on another tab/dialog box of some sort.

-Perception
-Light Intensity
-Crushing Blow
-(Forget the name but its the dex-based proc like Crushing Blow)

I'm at work now and don't have the game to verify but there may be some other non-essential stats that are missing.

I checked the manual and couldn't find any detailed info about Crushing Blow and what it does. You'd think I would have wondered this before I built a character around crushing blows but I still don't really understand the details of it other than that I do more damage when I get a crushing blow.

I love gear with light intensity bonuses since Din's is a pretty dark game. I've gotten lucky with starting gear a few times and really lit up the place! I remember leaving my wife in the dungeon while I go off to town and she asked who turned off the lights in the dungeon. :)

Shadow
02-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Crushing blow gives you max damage for that hit.

Lyranaar
02-09-2010, 06:40 PM
For my Ice Mage Light is simply a must. I love light items, don't think casters can live without quite some.

Overall the 901 works wonders. Biggest party is now L23 playing a L20 map, and I think we'll win this one. :)

Scarabus bursts self kills still don't count for the uprising quest and don't seem to spawn enough beyond the initial amount. Really hard to get enough of them.