PDA

View Full Version : Class Impressions Thusfar...

cthonic
02-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Just preordered today and hopped right into the game for about an hour and a half. I wanted to share some of my immediate impressions about some of the classes I'd tinkered with -- after I've seen more of the random generator I'm sure I'll have more to say about the game at large.

Additionally, I'll be updating this thread as I tinker more with more classes. These are basically off-the-cuff, knee-jerk analyses. My impressions may very well be factually wrong, as I haven't had enough time to do anything but dabble with these skill trees.

Warlock Impressions

General: Right now the Warlock seems extremely weak, both in terms of skill selection and in raw skill power. He's like a crappy version of the Necromancer.

Skills:

-Shadow Bolt: The only real direct damage the Warlock has, and it's actually weaker than the Necromancer's Bolt of Gloom. It does the same damage, costs the same mana-wise and has the same cast-time. There are only two differences: Shadow Bolt does Magic damage and Gloom does Fire, and the much more important one, Bolt of Gloom has a 50-second Attack/Defense debuff attached.

-Curses: Why? What single monster survives 30 seconds in this game? If there are ones that do, are piddly little attack debuffs going to help at all? Additionally, the Necromancer has a skill (Despair) that wraps Phys Damage and Casting Time into one skill, plus adds a snare, all for the same manacost, cast time, and skill points as any of the Warlock's individual curses.

Further, all these curses are single-target. I think another Shadow Bolt will do more to stop a monster than throwing a curse on it.

These Curses take up four slots on the Warlock list, and personally I would never put any points into them in their current state. The only one I could see being even remotely useful is Curse of Vulnerability.

-Dark Sacrifice: Reuse time: One Minute? For ten mana at Rank 1 after 4 skill points? Yeah, no thanks.

-Pets: Stronger level-wise than the Necromancer's skeletons, yes. But the Necromancer gets Raise Dead, which apparently raises a monster of any level permanently until death for the cost of only 6 skill points. Every 5 skill levels you can raise another dead monster.

Summon Chaos Lord gives you a level 4 Chaos Lord for 8 skill points. Every skill level the Chaos Lord gets an additional level. You can never have more than one.

Current Opinion: I would literally take any other class over the Warlock in a Hybrid. Right now he's a waste of a class slot for the Conjurors.

cthonic
02-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Necromancer Impressions

General: So far the Necromancer seems to be strong. However, like most ARPGs, pets seem of dubious worth.

Skills:

-Bolt of Gloom: Quick-cast baseline bolt nuke with an Attack/Defense debuff. Possible Synergy with a melee hybrid for really tough monsters, but if they're that tough, will -10 Attack/Defense really matter?

-Blight: Quick-cast, screen-sized AOE Poison on all monsters. I saved my first town using this skill exclusively. Potentially overpowered?

Scales linearly, +3hp/tick per skill level. It's a 1-point Skill so I don't see any reason not to level it frequently. Even if monster HP gets crazy, it's still a quick, cheap way to soften up the room.

-Dark Ritual, Lich, Skeletons: Skeletons are weak and dumb early on. They get appear to get +1 level per skillpoint, though this isn't listed in the skill text. This may result in them being sort of sturdy and dumb later on.

For an initial 10 skill points Lich gives all your undead 5% more health per skill level... which I personally would never buy, as it seems waaaay too expensive.

Dark Ritual raises ALL your pets' damage for 30 seconds. Must-have if you're doing a raw, stand-around-and-watch-the-fight pet build.

Overall on swarm pets -- I don't plan on using them simply because of how cramped the dungeons already are. Give me a better POV angle and wider, more open dungeons, and I could see using these.

-Despair, Disease Cloud: Despair's a value pack of useful curses. Single-target only, though. Could potentially be useful to kite bosses with, as it snares AND slows casting. However, the dungeons are cramped, so kiting isn't much of an option. I want to play with the skill more before I develop an opinion of it... right now, I'm not wasting my points.

Disease Cloud looks decent until you see the duration: 3 seconds. The skill text promises more duration per point, but unless this is exponential, I'm staying away.

-Raise Dead: Appears to be the de-facto pet skill. However, so did Revive in Diablo 2, and it wasn't what it was cracked up to be. The skill text is pretty vague, so I'll have to see it in action.

-Bone Shatter: Pre-emptive Corpse Explosion/heavy nuke. Idential to Ice Magic's Shatter, except for the fact that Bone Shatter gets an 8 second DoT and only does Physical damage. Seems like it could be useful. No info on how much damage the explosion does.

Current Opinion: Very strong, but I have worries about how well the class scales.

Cadfan
02-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Blight is crazy good at low levels. I haven't got a good impression of it at higher levels, but at level 5 with two ranks in it I just cast it and everything dies. One of my characters is a Defender/Necromancer, with Blight and Disease Cloud as my benefits from the Necromancer side. My intention is to use Blight for area damage while tanking with the Defender abilities and Disease Cloud. I've just accepted that Disease Cloud is useless until I get four or five points into it. Eventually, at higher levels, it should be amazing- since its effects are percentage based, it automatically scales even if you don't invest in it over time. So you can invest until you have enough duration to make yourself happy, and then ignore it without losing any strength.

But seriously, at low levels Blight is all you need to go from level 1 to fairly high without doing any work.

cthonic
02-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Update to Necromancer:

Played some more and bought Raise Dead after getting a refund on Raise Skeletons.

Raise Dead is a great spell, so much better than Raise Skeletons/Skeleton Archers it's kind of astounding. You don't have any of the pet level problems that the skeletons get as you're raising mobs that scale to your level. So far it seems like a one-rank wonder, unless you REALLY want an army of raised.

BUGS/DOCUMENTATION ISSUES

-Apparently Raise Dead also gives the raised monster the "Raised' status, which at level one imparts +4% min and +4% max damage. This isn't listed anywhere in the skill tooltip, might be handy to add.

-For some undefined reason Raise Dead simply doesn't work on some targets. I thought there might be a hidden level requirement, but after a little more testing there doesn't seem to be. I couldn't raise a level 5 Orc, but I could raise a level 6 Doom Hound.

-Raises have a habit of destroying Lifestones/Manastones I'm using. Spiteful bastards.

REQUESTS

-It'd be nice to have a pet dismiss feature, or at least destroy whatever Raise I have when I want to Raise a new target. Beating a strong champion monster and not being able to Raise him because I grabbed the first corpse I could get my hands on when I entered the dungeon isn't any fun.

incognoscente
02-09-2010, 02:08 PM
I think you can't raise Orcs because of some bit of lore (story trumping play). It would be very helpful though! Same with Apparitions. My favorite pet (that is currently allowed) is a Scavenger Champion/Elite. Good times. :)

Raise Dead also has a problem in that it will happily waste your mana if you cast it when you're full up on pets.

getter77
02-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Blight definitely isn't overpowered...not long at all before the DoT won't save you in the slightest against tougher/resistant foes as it has a slow progression despite being in the first 1-2, maybe 3 towns.

Cadfan
02-09-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm at level 11 with a character who uses blight as his primary attack. I have four ranks in it. Its slowing down (I think this is inevitable over time, as I think that monsters will gain more hp than it gains in damage), but it still kills a non special monster in one cast. I fire it off, then use my other abilities to kill the elites.

I'll let you all know how it works at higher levels.

getter77
02-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Overall, I'm having a hard time getting a handle of the classes across the board. In that, it might be the scaling/balancing still isn't quite "there"...or it might well be that some minor and not-minor changes could well be a good idea to add flavor/feasibility.

If it comes down to it I guess I'll list down the whole lot of it, but I'll elect to wait until some more patching has happened in case that was all it was afterall---no need to burn down a house to light a fireplace.

DeathKnight1728
02-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Just remember one thing, all of the classes have strengths and weaknesses. What i see as the main weakness to most classes is magic damage through mages or enchanted enemies. I started playing the game as a magician/thief and this character is pretty fragile. Later on i figured that the reason i died so much was because of lack of resistance.