PDA

View Full Version : Overall difficulty

Kruztee
02-10-2010, 07:39 PM
From my experience the game still seems a tad too brutal once the character gets to the mid-teens. I tend to have a personal favoritism for melee based characters, and this might be why I'm having more trouble with the progression that others. For the record though, the game is awesome fun to play, and I'm having a great time with the BETA regardless.

I'm wondering though whether a slider for difficulty might be implemented that could either a) affect how many dungeon levels are generated (with an option to leave this on random if desired) or b) affect where abouts in the dungeon that most of the essential quests are located. 2 dungeons of the exact same level will provide a totally different challenge to the player if the main objectives are located on level 2 or on level 14. In fact it's a vastly different (yet equally entertaining challenge) to have a comparitively higher level dungeon where the objectives are on some of the higher floors, to one where the player is forced to dive up to 10 floors to reach them in an overall weaker dungeon.

If I choose a highish level dungeon and soon find out that the objectives are mosty around dungeon level 10 or so, I nearly always quit the town, since the exploration is almost never worth the XP debt that I'm likely to suffer for it.

DeathKnight1728
02-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Your not alone; I've been having one hell of a time with an Assassin/hunter starting out.

Just curious, what character are you playing as? I might be able to figure out the problem.

GeorgiaBoy
02-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Agreed. I hit the wall as a level 11 Warrior. It would be nice to be able to control the number of levels a dungeon has. Thirteen levels is too much of a grind, and the XP debt is a killer. I think I will wait for the patch...

Kruztee
02-10-2010, 08:46 PM
I've got a lvl15 pure rogue that I'm playing at the moment. in v0.901 the difficulty wall is not as pronounced as it used to be. It's still playable for me at this level, but some worlds (where the quests are very deep in the dungeon) are a real grind. At a difficulty level dungeon set to normal or hard this can make things pretty hard indeed.

I actually don't mind it having a diffucult town setup every now and then, but my argument is that the player should have a little more control over the difficulty of the game from the setup screen.

ShaggyMoose
02-10-2010, 09:23 PM
I am currently playing a level 18 Ranger and still finding things generally manageable. Certainly there is no such thing as a guaranteed victory though and dungeons past level 7 or 8 are difficult and grindy. Definately an improvement since the first patch.

getter77
02-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Among other thoughts, the ones that strike me as strangest have to be the towns I save at d lvl 3/4....yet are 10+ levels deep. I'd like to see more thematically inclined risk/reward. For instance, say a dungeon is set to be 10 floors deep. Have the last needed quest spawn at floor 9 once you've clear down about that far and allow you to save the town. Then, if gutsy, let floor 10 be a "special" floor with extra danger/special form factor to either perhaps give you a bit of a leg up in terms of loot and such before the next adventure...or remind you sometimes it is better to just get outta Dodge while you can. If you wanted to make it extra cool, have it only accessible from a clearly marked, for a change, one-time shaft in floor 9 that'd generate after a "win" which'd leave the only way out to be victory down there or death...and perhaps due to the nature of it being an extra gamble....let that particular soulstone be unrecoverable so as to cement the risk of having to eat that exp penalty or worse on hardcore mode in pursuit of especially good loot/gold.

torikamal
02-13-2010, 01:22 AM
Getter, I like that idea of having a last very difficult/high loot value floor.

money520
02-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Can they make it where you can just left click to use a a skill on the toolbar?
Scott

Aganazer
02-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Can they make it where you can just left click to use a a skill on the toolbar?
Scott

I could be wrong but I think I remember right-click working to activate skills on the toolbar.

FloodSpectre
02-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Back on the topic of difficulty, I've encountered my first few Dark Elf Wizards... oh god, the burning! They seem to attack very quickly and they inflict a ton of damage with fireballs despite the fact that I absorb 48% of fire damage. I'm wondering if maybe they should be balanced out a little better... when there are three of them supported by another two champion versions, I die almost instantly.

A fireball from a normal Dark Elf Wizard hits me for 32 damage, when I have a max HP of 166 and I absorb half of all fire damage... does that seem like a lot to anyone else? I think part of the problem is that I can't seem to dodge fireballs.