PDA

View Full Version : Bugs .902

Aganazer
02-11-2010, 09:11 PM
We have an unfinishable town. No quests, not complete.

Our only rescue attempt on this one still got killed long before we could rescue.

We had a couple instances of insta-death. Cave-in + some other random AOE effect in the area and you can die quicker than you can think to drink a pot. A cave-in warning would be kinda cool. Maybe some smaller rock sprinkles before the big dump of rocks to give the player some time to notice it and run away. Of course it doesn't help that my wife is a little AOE happy when it comes to barrels, doors, and pretty much anything else that burns.

Good news is that the difficulty seemed okay. We were able to take the town to the end.

viper34j
02-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Same problem. This is the second generated world where we couldn't end it. We are 0 and 2 on completing worlds on the 9.02 patch....

The only thing of note about the world was that there were two npc's on level 5 that seemed bug. One wanted a package delivered and the other wanted to give me information. Neither would actually talk to me, they just said something like "You don't have the quest to speak with <name>".

The save game is attached. Sorry about the file name, but my character was an Assassin/WeaponMaster and it seemed appropriate.

Kruztee
02-11-2010, 10:09 PM
And another one for you.

In this world, my last quest was a delivery mission that I failed (as usual, I'm hopeless at these), I had to just delete the quest from my log and that was the end of that. Nothing has come up in the last 10 minutes or so, so I'm moving on to a new town =(

Town was created and played entirely in v0.902

Kruztee
02-11-2010, 10:13 PM
We had a couple instances of insta-death. Cave-in + some other random AOE effect in the area and you can die quicker than you can think to drink a pot. A cave-in warning would be kinda cool. Maybe some smaller rock sprinkles before the big dump of rocks to give the player some time to notice it and run away. Of course it doesn't help that my wife is a little AOE happy when it comes to barrels, doors, and pretty much anything else that burns.

Just my opinion here, but I think that this has more to do with your playstyle than anything else. I'm generally pretty cautious and only use AoE when absolutely necessary. I very rarely have any trouble avoiding cave ins and monsters AoE. Spamming AoE everywhere is going to increase your kill rate and can be an exciting way to play, but there has to be a downside to that as well. For what it's worth, I think that the balance is pretty good at the moment as far as this is concerned.

viper34j
02-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Well... I am now 0 out of 3 on completing towns on 9.02. Everyone has ended with no quests and nothing else left to do...

I'm going to create a min level world and go through it very fast to see if I can actually complete one.

Has anyone completed a town on 9.02 successfully?

FloodSpectre
02-11-2010, 11:12 PM
I'm nearly done with one now, actually. The difficulty certainly seems better, but it seems I've discovered a pretty serious exploit. I suspect it's related to the new mechanic of gaining xp for disarming traps. I noticed that I was gaining xp when I stepped on some traps, but I thought little of it until I smashed open an alcohol barrel and stood on top of the resultant pool of alcohol. I proceeded to gain experience (201xp?) about twice a second until I levelled up, but I continued to gain xp after the level, now about 151xp I believe. This is a pretty serious exploitable bug.

...Which I suspect a few people are going to try now... ;)

EDIT: It's definitely more than twice a second, now that I check again. Will test oil spills and other things to see if it's more than just alcohol.

Aganazer
02-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Just my opinion here, but I think that this has more to do with your playstyle than anything else. I'm generally pretty cautious and only use AoE when absolutely necessary. I very rarely have any trouble avoiding cave ins and monsters AoE. Spamming AoE everywhere is going to increase your kill rate and can be an exciting way to play, but there has to be a downside to that as well. For what it's worth, I think that the balance is pretty good at the moment as far as this is concerned.

I totally agree, but there isn't any way to play fire without the risk of cave-ins even if you're conservative with the AOE's. What seems to be causing the insta-death is in situations where an AOE would be appropriate with tightly packed MOB's. Its easy to get a chain reaction of effects and then you go from full health to dead in the blink of an eye with no time to react. Its not bad right now, but even a small tweak could keep the risk and the danger without the insta-death.

The issue probably has more to do with the fact that there are other builds that can do similar things without putting the player into this kind of danger. Some amount of danger is great and is appropriate for fire (we're both lit on fire constantly), but insta-death is IMO never good no matter what play style or build you're using.

Another thing I noticed, the random earthquakes cause damage even if nothing falls on you. Not sure if this is intentional or not. I always run like hell when I see the earthquake coming but rarely avoid the damage. The way it works seems consistent with the earthquake skill, but still managed to confuse my wife since she never saw anything happen visually that would make her think she should be taking damage from it.

BTW, we completed our second town with no problems. It as very enjoyable despite a few more insta-deaths due to fire AOE side effects.

zimmitti
02-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Will test oil spills and other things to see if it's more than just alcohol.

Getting the same with oil spill here. Very fast XP spamming which scales down (XP amount, not rate of spamming) as you level. Can step off the spill to halt it. Stepping back on starts it up again.

Untraining disarm stops the XP and retraining it turns it back on.

FloodSpectre
02-11-2010, 11:40 PM
Thanks for checking whether removal of the skill ends the effect, I hadn't thought to try that.

In other news, I've completed every quest available in my current town and didn't win, so count me among the ranks of people unable to save their town properly.

Kruztee
02-11-2010, 11:59 PM
The issue probably has more to do with the fact that there are other builds that can do similar things without putting the player into this kind of danger. Some amount of danger is great and is appropriate for fire (we're both lit on fire constantly), but insta-death is IMO never good no matter what play style or build you're using.

Fair comment. And I haven't played a fire mage yet, so I'll defer to your experience there.

Another thing I noticed, the random earthquakes cause damage even if nothing falls on you. Not sure if this is intentional or not. I always run like hell when I see the earthquake coming but rarely avoid the damage. The way it works seems consistent with the earthquake skill, but still managed to confuse my wife since she never saw anything happen visually that would make her think she should be taking damage from it.

I'm pretty sure that this is intentional (as you pointed out, this would be consistent with the effects of the earthquake skill), but agree 100% that it would be totally confusing for especially new players that would interpret the effect as simply taking random damage. More cave-ins would be (in my opinion) just clutter and annoying to the player, but perhaps some other way of graphically depicting a cause of the damage needs to be implemented.

Cadfan
02-12-2010, 12:03 AM
I've got a town that seems completed, but is not officially complete. I guess I could comb the dungeon for quest givers?

Iane
02-12-2010, 12:55 AM
Is the "Dark elf Mage" now a combined fire/ice mage as they are near to impossible to kill now that they rain down all hell on you with ice storm - get more than 1 in a room and you might as well quit the town :( not only that but this mob does not show in my Bestiary.

Also what is the range any mob has for Casting fire and ice storm - I cannot even see the mob and am being slaughtered with continuous ice Storms

Also I've notice most spiders behave a little odd like warping in and out jerky animation and freezing.

After fighting Nightgloom (Lvl 19) to save the town and dieing several times but collecting all soulstones as I go I'm left with an XP Dept of 30k - this is extreme punishment for sending modded mobs to attack a Town - you are way better off quiting and starting a new town.

loot being a major focus in the game how about having a vendor Provide a remove Curse from Items Service - finding a set/legendary piece etc only to see it's Cursed is a real bummer.

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/7643/ss0005.th.jpg (http://img641.imageshack.us/i/ss0005.jpg/)
Cloth Cap looks more like a Cape

It seems all casting mobs have infinite mana - is there no restrictions on them like the player.

Bruteman
02-12-2010, 01:47 AM
I don't know if this is something unique to this version; I searched the forum for other mentions of it and found nothing.

Currently playing a Defender/Paladin hybrid. I've leveled up the defender's Block skill to 2. The mouseover description says it costs 15 mana to cast. When I stand alone away from monsters and cast it, it correctly takes 15 mana. When I have one or two monsters around me who've entered combat with my guy, the correct amount is also taken off.

The problem I've noticed is that when larger groups of enemies are attacking me all at once and I use Block, the skill correctly activates and the monsters who are affected are stunned, but it's taking away nearly two to three times as much mana and throwing up the "not enough mana" message. I can't recreate this 100 percent, given how fast the combat is.

Shadow
02-12-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm looking at the can't complete towns issue first thing this morning.

cthonic
02-12-2010, 11:56 AM
I made a new character last night after patching and it's vanished. The "resume" button references the character, but it's gone from the "play" button and clicking "resume" crashes the game.

Where are save files stored?

cthonic
02-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Nevermind, I figured it out. I named my character "Def/Shm" and it created a directory named "Def" with "Shm" in it.

Might want to prevent illegal OS characters in name input!

Aganazer
02-12-2010, 12:46 PM
I just used Tornado for the first time. The damage may be a bit high compared to similar cost abilities.

I abandoned one level (and maybe the whole town) that had Monster Traps and it was a level with Dimensional Gates and Undead Totems. When a MOB respawns that is one thing, but when a gate respawns and then spawns a bunch more stuff, it gets crazy trying to get anywhere to complete a hard to find quest. It was tolerable though and maybe just bad luck on my part. The difficulty wasn't impossible, but the respawn was still way more than I have seen elsewhere. Maybe if MOB generators in particular didn't respawn then I would feel better about cleaning them out of an area.

Aganazer
02-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Nevermind, I figured it out. I named my character "Def/Shm" and it created a directory named "Def" with "Shm" in it.

Might want to prevent illegal OS characters in name input!

Wow! Thats an interesting result for a bug.

cthonic
02-12-2010, 01:50 PM
How much mana are the Defender's Blocks/Parries supposed to add? I hardly notice any at all.

Couple more things:

-Cave-ins are giving XP when you destroy them.
-I'm using a sword with a 4% chance to cast Flame Weapon. I've cleared four dungeon levels now and have yet to see it cast. Are procs working, or should I buy a lottery ticket?