PDA

View Full Version : couple Of questions before I pre-order?

ttomm46
02-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Was wondering about the depth of the game..I have torchlight but it's all hack and slash without a lot of character and stat customization..which gets boring after One play through...Hows the beta so far and the depth?should i order?
Tom:rolleyes:

Cadfan
02-12-2010, 09:08 PM
That's kind of a hard question to answer, because you don't really "play through" Din's Curse. It procedurally generates a series of challenges that create a sort of plotline that involves saving a town from some kind of threat. You do this multiple times in different towns as you level up.

Instead of encouraging you to customize one character and play through the entire game, Din's encourages you to run multiple characters, each of which you've customized to be a different sort of experience to play, and to select the one that best fits your mood. As such there literally over a hundred options for your character class, and you customize a bit as you level up, but within limits. You're unlikely to play two Hybrid Weaponmaster / Fire Mage characters that you've built differently, but you might instead play a second character that's a Trickster / Gladiator or a Hunter / Warlock, each of which will play completely differently from the others.

So, I enjoy it. But if you're concerned you might not, if Soldak follows its usual pattern there will be a demo once the game is officially released.

Aganazer
02-12-2010, 09:34 PM
I would definitely consider Din's Curse to have a lot more staying power than Torchlight. I never bothered to replay Torchlight. It just wasn't that interesting to me. There is so much more interaction and things to do in Din's that I have already gotten about double the play time out of Din's than I did Torchlight.

Its still an aRPG so the level of depth is a bit less than you might find in a complex roguelike or a well implemented d20 game like Kights of the Chalice (http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/), but its a a big step up from Torchlight and most other diablolikes for that matter. I am the kind of player that enjoys depth in games and so far Din's has been addicting me in a way Torchlight never did.

The real kicker is multiplayer though. That gives Din's a lot more playability IMO.

Hope that helps!

Archon
02-13-2010, 03:03 PM
I would say it's a lot like Depths Of Peril except it's focused on the town / dungeon crawling aspect instead of the openness of Depths although it's a much more refined experience than DoP with greatly expanded class customization, better graphics, and dungeon generation that is a huge step up from DoP.