PDA

View Full Version : MIA beta wise (for) now

getter77
02-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Well, I now find myself in a fine technological mess. I was aiming to put more beta hours in during this afternoon, but I've just suffered the worst/oddest PC crash I've ever seen out of nowhere---I would kill for a BSOD at this point just for closure/solid indicators. In the interest of, I hope, not significantly damning my future by risking the new machine again until some assuage of fears/somebody more knowing can pop by or talk me out of it takes place, I've now had to power it down and retreat to my old junk PC in the floor that isn't Din's or much else capable.

I really don't know where this puts me on the rest of beta, maybe in a day or so this will hopefully be sorted out but it could well be longer so I can't really commit to anything as this is all pretty sudden. I'm tremendously sorry and well aware of how badly this reflects having to wind up inoperable to help with beta wranglings in this situation steadily inching towards release. Right now, my head feels like it is about to explode on top of that cold I have which has been slowing me down big time since a couple days back. :mad: :(

That said, good luck to the rest of the capable beta folk and definitely keep at it---best I can do is a stint at a sounding board for ideas and general notions in my current straits.

Incidently, if anybody can suggest a state of optimism for a new PC, that never quite had a full diagnostics and such day due to time/schedule issues, utterly crashing in a non BSOD, locking out my Win 7 account, not even displaying that screen correctly with repeated fadings to black, mouse control becoming wildly wrong, and large, hardware sounding beeps at times---please to chime in.

Edit: Some hopeful help, I hope, will try to make it by Tuesday evening after work...so fingers crossed and don't be shy about solutions and diagnoses in the meantime.

Delilah Rehm
02-14-2010, 09:49 PM
There isn't much that is more frustrating than a wonky computer when you really want to play a new game!!! :(

getter77
02-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Yep, and I was getting a pretty solid pace going up until the cold slowed things a bit as well too. I'd been pretty well putting most other things on the side for the next month or so to focus intently so it is kinda jarring for the routine to get broken up for this next little bit. I really hope things can get situated Tuesday....I did turn the machine on briefly and it didn't blow up and made it to the general desktop OK---but clearly this wasn't the behavior or a kind of "hiccup" a generally functional machine should be showcasing.

Archon
02-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Hope you get your computer back up and running. I know it sucks when something goes haywire with a PC. My last Desktop kept crashing every time I ran something that was 3D accelerated and I had the problem for almost a whole year (became good friends with ASCII games during that time) until I replaced it three years ago with a low/mid-range notebook just to have something that would work which I am still using to this day.

FloodSpectre
02-15-2010, 06:42 PM
My system was down for about a week due to some burned out ram not too long ago. That's actually why I didn't end up getting my pre-order for Din's in the day it was available...

In any case, I hope you can sort this out. I know how much of a pain PC problems can be.

getter77
02-16-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm back!...at least that would seem to be the case.

Still not sure what the issue was, but the PC completely passed a stress test diagnostic and we successfully seemed to have updated the BIOS that had several updates since it came into being. For now at least, nothing has went crazy so I look forward to getting back into things fairly shortly after I get everything up to speed and such again.

Good to be back in a chair again as opposed to sprawled out/curled up in a ball on the floor!

Aganazer
02-16-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm back!...at least that would seem to be the case.

Still not sure what the issue was, but the PC completely passed a stress test diagnostic and we successfully seemed to have updated the BIOS that had several updates since it came into being. For now at least, nothing has went crazy so I look forward to getting back into things fairly shortly after I get everything up to speed and such again.

Good to be back in a chair again as opposed to sprawled out/curled up in a ball on the floor!

Great news! If you're still in doubt it doesn't hurt to run an overnight memory test. There are lots of free mem test programs available.

getter77
02-16-2010, 08:41 PM
I'd ran one of those closer to assembly time and made it to 100% with zero errors. If something crazy happens again though I might try letting it run overnight or some such.

getter77
02-16-2010, 10:13 PM
......! :mad:

...I'm NOT abandoning ship again just yet, but yeah, any thoughts on a total freeze, no BSOD again, but this time featuring a strange, incessant buzzing/humming sound coming from the monitor('s speakers) as opposed to the tower itself?

Aganazer
02-17-2010, 09:05 AM
......! :mad:

...I'm NOT abandoning ship again just yet, but yeah, any thoughts on a total freeze, no BSOD again, but this time featuring a strange, incessant buzzing/humming sound coming from the monitor('s speakers) as opposed to the tower itself?

Do you have spare parts to swap out? Something like that could be damn near anything. MB, sound card, video card. I had a lot of problems like this after lightning struck outside my house once. Even the parts that seemed to be working okay would eventually start causing random lockups. I eventually had to change out every part in the system.

getter77
02-17-2010, 11:04 AM
No spares....this PC was pretty much the outstanding majority of the last of my savings from my last job. Makes even less sense considering that diagnostic stress test put everything through 100%.

If it does it again, I'll especially panic...but for now one-time events, while scary, are just that. I guess Win 7 SP1 is due out in the near future...maybe it will solve something(s) in the background.