PDA

View Full Version : Single Player Turn Based

Ephemera
02-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Having played a variety of hybrids up to lvl 15 or so (the Archer/Ice Mage being the most successful), I decided to try a straight-up Warrior (esp. after reading about the difficulty spike for melee characters). The character is now 23rd level, specializing in Power Attack (WpnMaster), Focus (Barb), and Shield Mastery (Def), with one level in Plate, Block, Parry, Blood Lust, Whirlwind, and Arms Mastery. Solid Attack (92%), Defense (45%), and Armor (48%), and a DPS of 66 (significantly higher w/ Power Attack, naturally). Good ol' tank.

After running out of money and dying repeatedly (particularly between 9.03 and 9.04), I changed my playing style: the only deadly events I now encounter are either somewhat unavoidable ones (traps or cave-ins at the wrong time, critical hits from certain champions or elites, etc.) or mistakes on my part (failing to notice exploders, not healing in time, taking the wrong potion, etc.). Rooms full of magic users are no longer an instant kill situation, and I'm keeping well ahead of the costs of consumables. The tank endures! 8 towns saved in a row, with only a handful of deaths.

However . . . the playing style I've adopted may be one that isn't to everyone's taste: specifically, I'm more or less playing Din's Curse as if it was turn-based by pausing constantly. The process is usually: Pause; left click on an opponent and hold; unpause long enough to get a single swing then pausing immediately (@.5 seconds or so); hit a hot key for power attack (all while holding down the left click); unpause long enough for two attacks (the power attack and the regular attack shortly thereafter); pause again; repeat. This gives me enough time to change equipment to manage resistances (I have an entire sack devoted to different items with different resistance bonuses), retarget immediately (usually without breaking the attack speed sequence), dodge ranged attacks, use potions, etc.

By doing this, the game feels appropriately challenging at "normal" difficulty, but I still have to play smart, manage resources (resistance potions become much sought after), and stay very attentive. I'm definitely enjoying the game this way; in fact, I haven't enjoyed a game this much since the original Angband, way back in the day (high praise from me!), for similar reasons, with the addition of quests, a dynamic world, and much more varied character customization (and, you know, graphics). Great stuff!

But I wonder: is anyone else playing this way? Do people want to? Am I "supposed to" play this way, or am I "exploiting" the system, somehow? Tangentially, could there be more turn-based options available? [I have a host of ideas on turn-based options, but that's a different topic.] Additionally, of course, this playing style is impossible in multiplayer (I presume).

In any case, my Archer/Ice Mage still works pretty well when spamming Frost Nova while running around like crazy, with hardly ever a pause needed, so it's not as if the game can't be played real time and be very enjoyable.

Thoughts?

viper34j
02-19-2010, 04:38 PM
I play exclusively on multiplayer servers, even if I'm by myself. I do this because I like to move around while my map is up (single player pauses the game). That is just how I like to play.

If you like to play in a single player turned based style, good for you. It sounds like it could be fun.

Shadow
02-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Sounds cool to me especially since it sounds like you are having a lot of fun.