PDA

View Full Version : Timed quest alternative option

Warlock
02-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Hi,

I think I read someone else post something similar to this but it would be great if we could decide to embark on a timed quest in one of two ways:

1. We chose to accept the quest but without a timer. For example, on a kill named monster quest, we accept it and when we find the monster and kill him we get some decent loot.

or

2. We accept the quest with a timer but are given much better loot for getting to the monster in time.

I kinda really don't enjoy failing a quest because I'm already knee deep in monsters four floors above where it is.

Caal
02-21-2010, 03:30 PM
I agree. It's a helpless feeling when something you need to take care of is several levels below you and you have no way to get there on a timely basis, even if you're not currently in a battle.

Maybe there could be some other way to get gates to the levels (buy from NPC, request from Din possibly with reputation cost?)

FloodSpectre
02-21-2010, 03:36 PM
I think removing the timed quests would be at cross purposes to the way the game is designed. The world is dynamic, monsters have their own plots and plans, and if the timers are removed it just becomes another static ARPG like Diablo, with quests that are simply there to be solved with no sense of urgency or threat. The possibility of a situation getting worse, of Elite enemies becoming bosses and then ordering raids on your town or building an earthquake machine is what this game is all about.

Warlock
02-21-2010, 03:45 PM
I think removing the timed quests would be at cross purposes to the way the game is designed. The world is dynamic, monsters have their own plots and plans, and if the timers are removed it just becomes another static ARPG like Diablo, with quests that are simply there to be solved with no sense of urgency or threat. The possibility of a situation getting worse, of Elite enemies becoming bosses and then ordering raids on your town or building an earthquake machine is what this game is all about.

In some ways I do agree but I always appreciate games that let the player choose how they'd like to tackle certain portions of it. I love going into the dungeons to rescue people and to complete quests. But I hate not completing a quest due to circumstances beyond my control.

I'll give an example: Din gave me a quest to find an evil artifact. I failed it for reasons I can't explain. I went to the appropriate level, killed everything in sight, ran into some stuck doors (which drives me insane) and failed it. I failed another quest to kill a named monster because I simply couldn't get to him. I was too busy trying to stay alive several floors above where he was. I failed a quest because I got killed by an earthquake triggered by my demon. My minion should follow my orders and not wander off to trigger traps, stay in the damage, and die.

I do understand that this is what makes the game unique, and I applaud that creativity, but as a gamer, we need to have a sense of power, a sense of being a hero who goes and does what the regular townsfolk won't and can't do. And when the hero fails it takes away that sense of power, that sense of purpose.

Din wants us to redeem ourselves. Gonna be hard doing that when we can't even get 20 amorphs from sending us to the graveyard.

icekrystal10
02-21-2010, 05:08 PM
I also hate failing a quest because I was preoccupied with other things and could not feasibly get to a monster in time. Perhaps the quest timer can be correlated to dungeon depth (if it isn't already). However, I realize that is what makes this game unique and unpredictable. The dynamic world is what will bring me back to this game.

Gutsman
02-21-2010, 05:32 PM
I'd like to have more feedback on the timed quests. Something to give you an idea just how much time you have left. Right now it just feels too random.

Also, a lot of quests don't tell you why you failed. That would be nice to know. No idea why I keep failing the new defense totem missions. I'll have like 3 of the 5 doodads I need for it collected, then suddenly it'll just say I failed.

Rockstronaut
02-21-2010, 06:12 PM
I agree that some kind of notice when a quest is about to expire would be good. Like a "so and so has almost collected all the ingredients for the totem".

As for quests spawning at 5 levels below you...I rather enjoy the feeling of impending doom when you know there's no way you're going to stop the uprising/machine construction etc. Don't tell me you don't enjoy having to clean up the resulting frantic mess.

FloodSpectre
02-21-2010, 08:43 PM
ran into some stuck doors (which drives me insane

Perhaps a little off-topic, but you know you can just smash stuck doors open, right? If you have an attack bound to one of your quick slots, you can select the door and then choose one of those attacks to attack it, like with any other object you would ordinarily interact with in a way other than destroying it (healthstones, for instance).

My minion should follow my orders and not wander off to trigger traps, stay in the damage, and die.

Keep in mind we're still in beta. There've been enough comments about minions/pets so far that I'm fairly confident they'll be improved by the actual release date.