PDA

View Full Version : Timer?

GeorgiaBoy
02-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Do timed quests have a timer displayed? I have not seen one....

GB

Shadow
02-23-2010, 03:29 PM
No there is no visible timers. For the most part nothing is timed exactly.

GeorgiaBoy
02-23-2010, 03:57 PM
I think some type of timer (or something along that line--whatever is easiest) would be a good idea. Another idea would be to label the quest as timed and give an approximation of how much time is given to solve the quest.

GB

viper34j
02-23-2010, 04:15 PM
I think some type of timer (or something along that line--whatever is easiest) would be a good idea. Another idea would be to label the quest as timed and give an approximation of how much time is given to solve the quest.

GB

I don't think that this is as easy as you think it is. My understanding of the system is that certain quest types of the ability to escalate (and/or fail) based on certain modifiers. The chance of escalation(failure) is then most likely "rolled" like dice once every so many seconds to determine if in fact the quest did escalate(and/or fail). Since not even Shadow knows when/if a quest ever will escalate(and/or fail), he would be hard pressed to display a timer.

It may be possible to display the chance of escalation(failure), but I'm not sure how helpful that would really be.

Aganazer
02-23-2010, 04:43 PM
I don't think that this is as easy as you think it is. My understanding of the system is that certain quest types of the ability to escalate (and/or fail) based on certain modifiers. The chance of escalation(failure) is then most likely "rolled" like dice once every so many seconds to determine if in fact the quest did escalate(and/or fail). Since not even Shadow knows when/if a quest ever will escalate(and/or fail), he would be hard pressed to display a timer.

It may be possible to display the chance of escalation(failure), but I'm not sure how helpful that would really be.

That just triggered a thought. When a quest escalates into another more serious quest, we currently get the failure message making us feel bad then we have to pick up the new quest back in town. Its kind of a double whammy of bad times. The quest failure event is already depressing, then we see a new quest in town just as we start to think we may be thinning out the quests some.

Why not let the quest automatically upgrade in your log? A boss killing quest might escalate into a boss + entourage quest. That way the tension would increase without the need to feel bad about failing. Maybe there aren't enough quests that escalate in this way to justify the effort, but given the way some people react to failure, it might make them feel better about it.

I'd imagine there are a few different types of quest chains that it might work with. It could feel more like a progression of events rather than a bunch of separate and unrelated quests. It might even bring together the story of a town into something a bit more cohesive.

viper34j
02-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Why not let the quest automatically upgrade in your log? A boss killing quest might escalate into a boss + entourage quest. That way the tension would increase without the need to feel bad about failing. Maybe there aren't enough quests that escalate in this way to justify the effort, but given the way some people react to failure, it might make them feel better about it.

I'd imagine there are a few different types of quest chains that it might work with. It could feel more like a progression of events rather than a bunch of separate and unrelated quests. It might even bring together the story of a town into something a bit more cohesive.

I most definitely agree with you here. I think the hard FAILURE should only occur when a quest line ends with a failure. If a quest escalates, then we should be given a softer notification of the quest change.